Euro 2012 - Capello fumes at FA axing Terry
Sun, 05 Feb 20:45:00 2012
Interviewed by national Italian broadcaster Rai 1, Capello stated openly how angry he was and, when asked whether he was in agreement with "the Federation's decision re Terry?", he replied: "No, absolutely not."
He added: "I have spoken to the chairman and I have said that, in my opinion, one cannot be punished until it's official and the court - a non-sporting court, a civil court - has made a decision to decide if John Terry has done what he has been accused of.
"I thought it was right that Terry should keep the captain's armband.
"The fact that the board has decided in this way is because it falls under the competence regarding ethics."
The 31-year-old Chelsea centre back is awaiting trial after pleading not guilty on Wednesday to a charge of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand during a Premier League match at Loftus Road in October.
The trial date has been set for July 9 - eight days after the end of the Euro 2012 championship.
"Following the decision to adjourn the court case against John Terry to July, The Football Association confirm he will not captain the England team until the allegations against him are resolved," the FA said in a statement on Friday.
"The FA Board expected the trial to be concluded prior to the European Championship.
"Further to Wednesday's confirmation that the trial will not take place until after the tournament, the board has discussed the matter in detail and has collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.
"This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament."
The FA confirmed he had not been excluded from the squad and that Capello can select him for the friendly against the Netherlands at Wembley on February 29 and for the European Championship itself.
FA chairman David Bernstein spoke to both Terry and Capello to explain the facts to them, the FA said.
"Fabio Capello has not been involved in the FA Board discussions which reached this conclusion, but understands that the FA Board has authority to make this decision," the statement continued.
"This decision in no way infers any suggestion of guilt in relation to the charge made against John Terry," the FA added.
It is the second time that Terry has been stripped of the captaincy of the national team in two years. He has played for England 67 times, 34 of them as captain and scored six goals.
He was first relieved of the armband by England manager Capello in February 2010 following allegations of an extra-marital affair, and re-instated as captain last year.