Voeckler claims Haut Var crown
Julien Antomarchi won the second and final stage of the Tour de Haut Var, handing overall victory to Europcar’s Thomas Voeckler.
The Frenchman finished second in Draguignan, after breaking clear of the peloton alongside Antonmarchi with 7km of the 207km stage remaining.
Voeckler – who finished third in Saturday’s opening stage – has enjoyed a fine start to the season, adding the Haut Var crown to his opening-stage triumph at the Tour Mediterraneen a fortnight ago.
“A month and a half ago, I didn’t think I was going to go as well as I’ve done since the start of the season,” said the 31-year-old Frenchman.
Jeremy Foy launched the first definitive escape of the stage, but was reeled in by the peloton on the final ascent of the Cote des Tuilieres.
Voeckler and Antomarchi then launched their decisive attack on the way back down the mountain, and forged a half-minute lead which they held for the remainder of the race.
Assured of first place, Voeckler eased off the gas as the finish line neared – offering Antomarchi a first win of the season, and second place in the general classification.
Tour du Haut Var Stage two results
1. Julien Antomarchi (FRA) VC La Pomme-Marseille 5:14:07
2. Thomas Voeckler (FRA) Team Europcar
3. Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (ESP) Movistar Team +0:00:29
4. Julien Simon (FRA) Saur – Sojasun
5. David Moncoutie (FRA) Cofidis, le crédit en ligne
6. Rémi Pauriol (FRA) FDJ
7. Rinaldo Nocentini (ITA) Ag2r - La Mondiale
8. Chris Anker Sorensen (DNK) Saxo Bank-Sungard +0:00:45
9. Cédric Pineau (FRA) FDJ +0:00:54
10. Jure Kocjan (SVN) Team Type 1