Premier League - Paper Round: Chelsea eye record deal for Hulk
Fri, 30 Dec 09:08:00 2011
But fear not Blues supporters because, according to The Times, the club are considering topping the £50 million they splashed out for the Spaniard to sign Brazil star Hulk from Andre Villas-Boas' former club Porto.
The 25-year-old goal machine, who helped Porto win the Portuguese league and cup double as well as the Europa League last season, has a buy-out clause of a 100 million euros (£84 million) although Chelsea are sure to try and work that price down as opposed to simply paying the "Buy It Now" price.
The Times quotes Hulk's agent Theodoro Fonseca who has done little to quash the rumours of his client's possible arrival in West London.
"Hulk would wholeheartedly agree to work with Andre at Porto or Chelsea, or at any another team because he really likes the way he coaches," said Fonseca.
"Andre knows Hulk very well and they have a good relationship. Hulk at Chelsea? Anything is possible."
If you believe the Express, AVB has a whopping £150m to spend in January, and most of the papers agree that Gary Cahill from Bolton is likely to be the first man in the door.
Moving out could be Alex and Florent Malouda who could both join ex-boss Carlo Ancelotti at Paris-St Germain (Daily Telegraph), although Alex said he would also be willing to take a pay cut to return to Brazil. (The Sun)
Manchester United have suffered another injury/illness blow with the Daily Mail claiming that Chris Smalling could be out for three months with glandular fever. Smalling, 22, missed the Boxing Day win over Wigan with what was thought to be a heavy cold, but the illness is more serious than that, the paper claims.
Wishful thinking rumour of the day comes from the Camp Nou, with Barcelona reportedly keen to sign Gareth Bale from Tottenham in the summer, but they would not be willing to pay more than £25m for the Welsh wizard whose perceived value by most is about double that. (Daily Mirror)
QPR have made a £7million bid for Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic with Rangers manager Ally McCoist confirming an offer had been placed prior to Wednesday's Old Firm game. (Daily Mail)
It is more about ins rather than outs at Celtic though, with Neil Lennon's men still in line to sign Maritimo striker Baba Diawara and Fulham's Rafik Halliche despite Monaco and Vitesse Arnhem launching counter bids. (Daily Record); Celtic are also plotting a shock January move for former Rangers central defender Carlos Cuellar, now out of favour at Aston Villa. (Daily Mail)
Blackburn will demand £8m for Junior Hoilett even though his contract is up in the summer. Manager Steve Kean needs to sell to fund his rebuilding and Tottenham and Stoke are among the Canadian international's firm admirers (Daily Mail); Kean meanwhile would like to bring Fulham's Andy Johnson and Nottingham Forest's Chris Gunter. (Daily Mirror)
However, in a further blow for the Ewood Park club, Mauro Formica has said he wants to "do a Tevez" and quit rock-bottom club and return to Argentina for family reasons. (Daily Mirror)
Stoke will not allow Kenwyne Jones to leave next month despite the Trinidad and Tobago striker struggling to make the first team. (The Sun)
Tottenham are monitoring developments with Freiburg striker Papiss Cisse. The 26-year-old Senegal striker was wanted by Sunderland and Newcastle in the summer but both clubs fell short of Freiburg's £14m asking price. (Daily Mail)
Finally, Fulham are trying to resurrect a bid to bring in striker Andre Pierre Gignac from Marseille. (Daily Mirror)