Getting things to drop into holes is pretty much the aim of the game of golf - but American golfer Mark Mihal sank more than just his ball during a recent round in Illinois.
Mark was out enjoying a game at Annbriar Golf Course in the town of Waterloo, Illinois, and had reached the 14th hole.
But then, with no warning, the 43-year-old was suddenly swallowed by a huge sinkhole in the ground, dropping him 18ft.
“I was standing in the middle of the fairway,” Mihal told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Monday. “Then, all of a sudden, before I knew it, I was underground.”
Immediately, Mark said he thought back to the recent story of a man tragically killed a few weeks ago when swallowed up by a huge hole in his bedroom as he slept.
Luckily for Mark he would not share that fate: after 20 minutes, help arrived in the form of some rope and the course's general manager, and the unlucky golfer was pulled from the sinkhole and back on solid ground.
Sinkholes are caused when the ground above underground voids gives way - something which is usually triggered by excessive rain or floodwater seeping through the ground and dissolving soft rock.
It's a very common phenomenon in nature, though it's rare for people to be badly hurt: a man recently killed when he was swallowed up by a sinkhole in Florida was thought to be the first death in the US in several decades.
The story is just as crazy as it sounds. It was the first time something like this has ever happened at Annbriar Golf Course, a course that Mark said he plays a lot because it's always in good shape, but it seems he might be avoiding it in the future.
He said after the incident that it might be too strange for him to return to the course because of what happened. As you might if a round ended in extensive bruising and a dislocated shoulder.
The full report of the incident is over at Mihal's golf website, golfmanna.com, so check that out for even more in-depth scariness.
Eurosport / Shane Bacon / Devil Ball Golf