Germany's Tony Martin has branded the decision to send Tour de France riders over the Col de Sarenne as "irresponsible".
The 2013 edition of the famous race, which is celebrating its centenary this year, will see the peloton tackle the notorious Alpe d’Huez twice in a day.
To facilitate that, organisers opted to include the previously never -used Col de Sarenne on stage 18, three days before the race concludes in Paris.
Omega Pharma-Quick Step rider Martin got a taste of what lies ahead when he tested the arduous climb - and lengthy descent - during stage seven of last weekend's Critérium du Dauphiné. The two-times defending time trial world champion was not impressed.
"I was excited to ride the new road from Alpe d’Huez, the exact same route we’ll see in the Tour," the German said on his website.
“I have to say that I was negatively surprised. The road is old and narrow. It’s a bad road, no guardrails. A mistake could see you falling straight down 30 metres."
Tour de France organisers Amaury Sport Organisation have already sanctioned the resurfacing of parts of the road with asphalt laid down over the existing gravel, while other sections have been flattened out, but Martin's concern remains.
"It’s irresponsible to send us there. And I cannot imagine that something will change on the road for the Tour."
Euskaltel-Euskadi's Samuel Sánchez won Saturday's Dauphiné stage and others who sampled the Sarenne were not as scathing as Martin in their assessment.
Richie Porte, Team Sky leader Chris Froome's right-hand man, was more pragmatic in his response to the AMO's decision.
“It wasn’t any worse than some we have been down but we also went down it pretty easy as Froome spoke to Alberto Contador and co., and we decided to go easy,” Porte told VeloNews.
“I guess you just have to ride to the conditions.”
Other than sweeping a clean passage through the route, no other work is expected to be undertaken before the Tour begins.