Manchester United Message Board
1) I couldn't believe the team selection when I saw it, playing Scholes and Carrick in midfield together. Liverpool always work hard and play with energy in the big matches, even more so than Chelsea, so legs were needed. Why Anderson wasn't on the pitch is beyond me.
2) We can't play such a flat midfield, devoid of pace, without Ronaldo. Our forward line now lacks a bit of pace so we need more runs forward from midfield.
3) Valencia, though he played reasonably well, is one dimensional-he needs an attacking full-back behind him. Rafael can't come back soon enough; I think Fabio should have started on the right given that the Scousers had a defensive left hand side.
4) Van der Saar is still as class as ever.
5) Ferdinand may have lost a half step in pace.
6) Following on from my earlier point, we need a dominant central midfield player, who is creative, and can score goals. Probs should take another look at Hamsik.
To all the Liverpool twits.
Everyone knew that losing four in row left Liverpool with something to prove, the experts have been saying it for the last four days and Utd did not have something to prove because although they lost in both games last season Utd still won the league.
I know Utd have not been in top form so far this season and I don't rate some of the players and have not done since I first saw them and if you can think back far enough you will remember thinking the same about some of the liverpool signings while you were winning the 1st division, of course I can't say Premier League as you have never won that.
- 1 Reply to Clive
United didn't deserve to win. I'll put my hands up and admit that. I agree with stefan's point of view about Scholes . I hate to say it , but he was too slow, and was caught in possession too much. Anderson should play there all the time now. Carrick was ok yesterday. Rio is playing as if he has something on his mind, which is worrying. Carrick should have had a penalty, and why wasn't Carragher sent off ? Anyway, glad that Citeh and the Arse dropped points.
Firstly, so many people on this site are now saying Carrick is the worst player ever to wear a read shirt, He, like the rest, except Giggs, have had a poor start to this season, but try to remember Carrick was one of the players everyone loved last season and the season before.
Secondly, to all the Liverpool idiots, you did not outplay us, you outfought us.
Today once again highlighted the loss of Ronaldo and the lack of force in attack, a lot of people want to keep banging on about our good start to the season and it's utter rubbish, the bang on about us beating city and Arsenal, but forget we needed and owngoal to beat Arsenal and we were very fortunate to win against City, we have lost 2 and drawn 1 and won 2 games against top six teams and 5 against weak teams, that does not look like a great start.
But worst of all is the fact that Liverpool players outfought us, they hassled us when we were on the ball and won most of the 50-50s; If the Utd players that were picked cannot get themselves up for a game against Liverpool we have far bigger problems than the loss of Ronaldo.
In todays game I saw no positives at all.
- 1 Reply to Clive
Clive, you're right about certain people and Carrick, but the thing is, people are rightly now seeing that he is a limited player, especially when not gifted time and space. Scholes also, unfortunately, now falls into that category because of his age, but this has been the case since the end of 2006-2007. It was alright to have a weak midfield before because we had a swashbuckling forward in Ronaldo with bags of pace as well as Tevez, who, whatever people say about him, was hard working, but more importantly, could run with the ball and was good technically. Both Rooney and Berba don't have the greatest pace, and would improve a lot if they had a superior midfield behind them, as they are ball playing strikers-you see the difference having a decent midfield behind him has made to Ibra at Barca.
1) Totally agree
2) Totally agree, it was very static in our midfield today. There should have been more movement in central midfield.
3) I don't agree here. I think the whole team approached the game negatively. After Liverpool scored, it was always going to be difficult to find space and score. Valencia will be more adventurous with time.
4) Totally agree. I just wish he could kick Ferdinand in the ass every now and then!
5) There you go. Not only the pace is not as it once was, his concentration is not the same. He needs to find his form again, or we will suffer defensively.
6) A creative midfielder of the highest quality would certainly help us. There are very few of them though. They're expensive, and I wonder if Fergie thinks that we need one!
- 1 Reply to ole-teddy
who does hesmick play for? because spurs desperatly need a new centre mid to partner palacious.
i like valencia but he is head down & run with his strength & pace. still a good assest to have but what stops him being world class is the lack of creativity that ronaldo has.
hes stil worth keeping thou.
i worry about rio because i want an in form terry & rio at the heart of our defence for the world cup but rio hasnt played well for quite a while now.
i know im just guessing but i think hes got ongoing injury problems that wont go away & are restrict his running.
- 1 Reply to Eric Cantona
If the shot was on target, it would have been a goal. The bar didn't save Liverpool. It was another great shot by Valencia though, and it does give us the idea that sometimes when we're not creating anything, he can come up with a goal. Frankly speaking, we didn't deserve the goal. The only thing we deserved was a higher score, to teach the team a lesson.
- 1 Reply to Manager
dispointeing game. one shot on target only.
all in all, a deserved result.
Wanted to see anderson and / or fletcher in midfield, none were there. not a bad game from Carrick and scholes, but they did not do enough.
Still only 2 points behind chelsea. can still reach the 90 points promised land.