Hector Barbera admitted he amazed himself by securing his first MotoGP front row start at the Italian Grand Prix - and now wants to prove he can run with the lead pack in Sunday's race.
The Spaniard had never previously qualified above sixth before putting his Pramac Ducati third on the Mugello grid, ahead of both factory Ducatis and reigning world champion Casey Stoner.
"If yesterday somebody told me that I could start from the front row, I would not have believed it," said Barbera. "But today I'm on the first row and tomorrow I will start Pramac Racing's home race from an amazing third spot on the grid. It's like a dream."
Barbera said the main difference between Mugello and his form elsewhere was how confident in his Ducati he was feeling at the Italian venue.
"I really enjoyed riding my bike and these kinds of sensations allowed me to have a more consistent and faster pace," he said.
"Tomorrow I will try to have a good start and fight for the whole race with the front guys."
The 25-year-old has been criticised for following other riders in practice and qualifying to achieve his best results, but Barbera's track engineer Marco Rigamonti was keen to underline that the Mugello qualifying result had been achieved with a solo lap.
"Hector had good confidence with the bike and this allowed him to adapt in a better way to the hot track and air conditions," said Rigamonti.
"He was able to ride alone, without any reference from the other riders."