Max Chilton remains hopeful of securing a seat to race in Formula 1 next year after insisting he has not secured a Marussia drive yet.
The Briton was appointed Marussia's reserve driver earlier this year and has been linked with Charles Pic's seat for the upcoming season.
Chilton will get his first outing on a grand prix weekend on Friday when he replaces Pic during the opening practice session in Abu Dhabi.
The 21-year-old said he is still in talks with Marussia over a possible race seat.
"We are obviously talking to them. I'm a racer and I want to get a race seat," Chilton told AUTOSPORT.
"There are a few seats but they are waiting for other drivers to see what they are doing. I'd love the chance and hopefully it will come soon.
"At the moment our eyes are on one seat and hopefully that will come off. Nothing is done as yet. If I could get a seat anywhere that would be good, and then work my way up."
Frenchman Pic told a news conference on Thursday that he was still unsure about his plans for the future.
"I don't know," Pic said. "There is still three races so I try and want to focus on these, we are speaking for next year but nothing is done. So we will have to wait."
Chilton said, however, that his performance in Friday's outing will have no impact in his future with the team.
"No, I don't think it will," he added. "Obviously I'd like to do a good job, but it would be a bit silly for an F1 team to try to work out whether you are ready with just one session."
Although Chilton is aware that his practice programme means he is unlikely to set fast laptimes, the British driver feels he can still show his skill to the teams.
"I just want to come out with the feeling that I've done a good job, and that the team is happy with the procedures that I need to do," he said.
"As long as I'm happy and the team is happy with my job that's all that matters."