Kacaniklic, 22, was out of contract in the summer, but the London club have decided to retain the player for another year.
The Sweden international, who joined Fulham from Liverpool in 2010, has played 38 times for the Cottagers, although he has started just 10 Barclays Premier League games so far this term.
For now, head coach Rene Meulensteen is more focused on trying to add new faces to his struggling squad, who are just one point above the relegation zone.
Meulensteen revealed on January 14 that Fulham had made a bid for West Ham star Ravel Morrison.
That angered the Hammers, who complained to the Premier League.
It has been reported that the Cottagers have lodged a second bid for the 20-year-old, but mindful of West Ham's complaint to the authorities, Meulensteen remained tight-lipped when quizzed about the former Manchester United player on Thursday.
"I can't (speak about it)," the Dutchman said. "There are things that have been in the papers and they have been quite accurate and I have nothing more to add."
Meulensteen was more forthcoming on another target - Leicester defender Liam Moore.
Leicester turned down an initial offer from Fulham for Moore, and it appears that the Cottagers are unwilling to give up on the 20-year-old defender.
"We have put a bid in," Meulensteen said. "Whatever has come back is on (chief executive) Alistair (Mackintosh's) table. That is ongoing."
Meulensteen also revealed that midfielder Derek Boateng, who has made just one Premier League start since signing for Fulham, could leave Craven Cottage this month.
"There has been interest from Watford and Evian," Meulensteen said. "They have come to the table so that is an ongoing discussion between the clubs and players."