England manager Roy Hodgson has made the astonishing claim that he hopes the Football Association clears John Terry of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Last month, Terry was found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence by Westminster Magistrates Court. However, since then, the FA have decided the Chelsea skipper has a case to answer under their own lesser burden of proof.
Hodgson has already declared an intention to select Terry unless he receives lengthy suspension and, when asked about his previous comments in an interview with Sky Sports News last Friday, he said: "I'm hoping, and I make no secret of that, the case will take its course, that John, hopefully, will be freed as he was freed in a court of law, and will carry on playing for England."
He added: "That's my hope.
"What will happen, I have no idea.
"As a member of the FA, it's a sub judice situation and I'm not prepared to say any more.
"I thought John did well in the Euros and I'd like to keep using him, but this is a case which is way out of my hands. John understands that.
"All I can do like many of his supporters, I suppose, is just hope he gets freed and can continue to play."
Hodgson had initially said: "I'm not prepared to discuss John It's a matter which is really, as far as I am concerned, working for the FA, sub judice.
"Everything I say can be misinterpreted. As far as I am concerned he has a case to answer with the FA and I'll wait and see what happens."