The Italian, who signed with Los Blancos this summer after negotiating an exit from Paris Saint-Germain, is said to be on an annual salary of €7.5m.
Futbolfinanzas.com have published a list of each La Liga Coaches’ wages and list Barcelona’s Tata Martino as second best paid, on €5.4m a year.
Diego Simeone, who penned a four-year contract just before the summer, is seen as on €2.5m, just ahead of Athletic Bilbao’s Ernesto Valverde on €2m.
Valencia’s under-pressure Coach Miroslav Djukic and Villarreal’s Marcelino Garica Toral complete the top five, holding the position jointly on a wage of €1.8m.
Notably, five of La Liga’s tacticians are paid the lowest amount annually of €500,000, including Real Sociedad’s Jagoba Arrasate.
La Liga Coaches’ annual salaries, 2013-14
2. Gerardo Martino, Barcelona - €5.4m
3. Diego Pablo Simeone, Atletico Madrid - €2.5m
4. Ernesto Valverde, Athletic Bilbao - €2m
5. Miroslav Djukic, Valencia - €1.8m
= Marcelino García Toral, Villarreal - €1.8m
7. Unai Emery, Sevilla - €1.5m
8. Luis García Plaza, Getafe - €1.2m
9. Javier Aguirre, Espanyol - €1m
10. Bernd Schuster, Malaga - €800,000
11. Luis Enrique, Celta Vigo - €700,000
12. Fran Escribá, Elche - €650,000
13. Lucas Alcalraz, Granada - €600,000
= Pepe Mel, Betis - €600,000
15. Joaquín Caparrós, Levante - €550,000
16. Jagoba Arrasate, Real Sociedad - €500,000
= Javier Gracia, Osasuna - €500,000
= Juan Ignacio Martínez, Valladolid - €500,000
= Paco Jémez, Rayo Vallecano - €500,000
= Francisco Rodríguez, Almeria - €500,000
Read the original article on Football Espana - The ultimate website for English-speaking fans of Spanish football