The Red Devils have confirmed two offers have been made so far for his services, with the second and most recent one believed to be at €40m.
Barca have been reported as having rejected that second proposal and President Sandro Rosell has written to United to make clear that the player won’t be sold.
And even as teammates indicate their belief that he will stay, a report today in England suggests otherwise.
The Independent allege that the 26-year-old has ‘had his head turned’ by United’s interest, with a source close to the former Arsenal player saying that he is ‘considering his future’ at the Camp Nou.
The Argentine has been linked with a move away from Los Blancos this summer after declaring on the last day of last season his desire to leave after seven years.
However, with Napoli since reported as on the verge of sealing a deal worth an initial €37m, Higuain has been left out of Madrid’s squad to face Lyon on Wednesday evening.
Yesterday in Italy it was alleged that the player’s representatives were meeting with Napoli to thrash out terms of a deal.
Ancelotti has also left out of his plans Fabio Coentrao, at the player’s request on personal grounds.
Andre Villas-Boas has once more made clear that Tottenham are determined to keep hold of Real Madrid target Gareth Bale.
The Welshman has been increasingly linked with interest from Madrid, with Marca yesterday providing speculation that the player already has a provisional contract agreement lined up with Los Blancos.
Meanwhile Manchester United are said to also be preparing a bid, having lined up a substantial budget for the 24-year-old.
“On Gareth I want to repeat what I was telling you last season and what I was telling you from the beginning of pre-season so I cannot extend myself,” Villas-Boas has countered this week.
“He's a player that we are willing to continue to have, he's a Tottenham player, he's one of the most fantastic players in the world and we are counting on him for the future.”
The Portuguese tactician also commented on Spurs’ interest in Valencia’s Roberto Soldado.
Kevin Gameiro arrived last night in Seville and is today expected to complete formalities on a transfer from Paris Saint-Germain to Sevilla.
The French striker has been increasingly linked with a switch to the south of Spain this summer as a replacement for Alvaro Negredo.
Following on from reports yesterday that a deal of around €10m had been agreed with PSG, the 26-year-old last night arrived at San Pablo airport in Seville.
Greeted by Sevilla’s sporting director Monchi, the player is expected today to undergo a medical and put pen to paper on a five-year contract at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.
Gameiro’s arrival is thought to have come too late for him to join up with his teammates for their South American tour, as that comes to an end on Sunday.
“At the moment, he’s just one of the players we are interested in. It’s not a lie to anybody that we’ve been looking for a striker to strengthen our squad and to have more strength in depth.
“Roberto is one of the players we have been following and his career speaks for itself. He’s a great striker. But there isn’t a deal being struck at the moment, it’s just interest and conversations.”
Those conversations so far have been unsuccessful, with the club’s technical director Franco Baldini yesterday returning to London having failed to agree a price with Valencia for the 28-year-old.
Real Madrid Castilla forward Denis Cheryshev’s father has claimed that Malaga are looking to pick up the player this summer.
The Russian Under-21 international has caught the eye with performances for Madrid’s subsidiary side in the Segunda Division last season, scoring 11 goals and providing eight assists in 34 appearances.
“Is there interest in Denis on the part of Malaga? Yes, but there is also interest from other clubs,” the player’s father Dmitri Cheryshev has told Russian media this week.
“Denis is not thinking of these clubs now, but to earn a spot in Madrid. For him that is his single most important priority.”
The left-sided attacking winger, who can also play centre-forward, was trialled by Carlo Ancelotti in the weekend win at Bournemouth at left-back.
Former Malaga striker Javier Saviola is reportedly set to link up with former Sevilla Coach Michel at Olympiacos.
The Argentine, who has also had spells in La Liga with Barcelona and Real Madrid, left the Anchovies at the end of his contract earlier this summer.
Reports in Greece suggest that he has found a new club, with it believed that a two-year deal with Olympiacos has been reached.
Saviola was linked earlier this summer with a move to Santos, but now looks set to join former Sevilla boss Michel’s current side, who go into the new season as defending League champions.
Fernando Gago’s return to Valencia has once more been put off as completion of a move to Boca Juniors is anticipated.
The Argentine had his summer break from Los Che originally extended in anticipation of him finding a new club, having spent the last six months of last term on loan at Velez Sarsfield.
Whilst last week reports indicated that a failure to reach a deal with either Velez or Boca had Valencia anticipating his return to preseason this week, the player, whilst in Valencia, has reportedly not shown up today.
This is believed to be because talks with Boca for his transfer have advanced in recent days and could see an agreement reached soon.
It is understood that Valencia have surrendered their position in negotiations and are set to agree to sell 50 per cent of his rights for a fee of €1.7m.