Edinson Cavani’s mother has claimed that the Napoli striker ‘is talking with Real Madrid and Manchester City’ over a proposed summer transfer.
Madrid, City and Chelsea have all been linked with making a possible move for the 26-year-old, who has a €63m buyout clause.
Even as the player’s recent comments have suggested Los Blancos may not be frontrunners, it has been suggested today that they remain in contention and it is Jose Mourinho’s new club that have less of a chance.
“Edi is talking with Real Madrid and with City,” Berta Gomez, Cavani’s mother, told Uruguayan radio this afternoon.
“Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis has spoken of something with Chelsea, but there is nothing concrete.
“In 15-20 days we will know more and be in a position to say something, when there is something concrete his family will be first to know.
“In any case, I assure you that Edinson loves Napoli and if he has to go, he will never forget the love and affection of the people.
“He will be united with Napoli forever.”
Carlo Ancelotti will officially become the new Real Madrid coach tomorrow, according to Le Parisien.
The former Milan, Juventus and Chelsea tactician had made it very clear in recent weeks he wanted to leave Paris Saint-Germain in order to pursue this new dream.
The French club, who won the Ligue 1 title this season, had been determined not to release him.
However, newspaper Le Parisien claims that an agreement was reached, so Ancelotti will be free to put pen to paper at the Bernabeu on Friday.
Ancelotti takes over from Jose Mourinho, who returned to Chelsea.
Inter president Massimo Moratti has denied that Barcelona have approached his club about signing Samir Handanovic this summer.
The Catalans have been linked in recent weeks with a possible move for the Slovenian, as they consider alternatives to Victor Valdes, who will leave by the end of his contract next summer.
However, Inter have made clear that their No 1 is not available.
“He won’t be leaving. I don’t think there’s anything to it,” Moratti commented to reporters in Milan today.
“I also read the newspaper report, but I read a lot of things that aren’t true. I can’t deny all of them…
“Handanovic will stay. We don’t need to replace a goalkeeper of this level, we probably need a new midfielder instead.”
Martin Demichelis’s agent has confirmed that the centre-back has an offer from Atletico Madrid, but that it is not the only one.
Reports this week have suggested that Atleti are keen to bring in the 32-year-old defender, who is available on a free transfer this summer, with his Malaga contract running to its end on June 30.
“Martin welcomes the opportunity to play at Atletico, but it all depends on an agreement being reached,” commented Jorge Cyterszpiler to Cadena SER this week.
“He has several offers, from many places, but it is true that Atletico are in his plans, they are a great club.”
Celta Vigo president Carlos Mourino has affirmed that any move for Barcelona’s Rafinha Alcantara cannot go through just yet.
The Galicians have been linked with taking the 20-year-old brother of Thiago Alcantara on a season long loan deal for 2013-14.
However, their President has made clear that for now, there is no chance of such a move.
“Hopefully we can sign him, but today there is currently no chance and I want the fans to know because I do not want to create false hope,” Mourino told reporters today.
“Rafinha must renew with Barca, and as long as this does not happen, he cannot be a Celta player, because his contract has one year left and in that case they will never loan him out.
“Therefore, at this moment there is no real possibility. If in the end he renews with Barcelona, we will try to get him because he is a great player and we have a great hope that he can come here.
“Hopefully we have an advantage [with former Barca B coach Luis Enrique at Balaidos], but today in the world of football it is not only a coach and his father that influences a player.
“Money also influences a player and offers from others clubs who are playing in Europe.”
Helder Postiga is on the verge of completing a move from Real Zaragoza to Sevilla, with only his transfer fee to be determined.
The 30-year-old enjoyed a productive year with Zaragoza despite their relegation, netting 14 goals in 37 appearances during 2012-13.
With the Aragonese having dropped into the Segunda Division, Postiga’s €1.8m salary is seen as one that the club are keen to get off the wage bill.
Sevilla are seen as having taken the initiative in making a move, with reports today suggesting that they are on the verge of confirming his signature.
The Portuguese international is understood to have already reached an agreement to sign on at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan on a three-year contract.
The Andalucians are believed only needing to now agree a fee with Zaragoza in order to complete his move.
However, their formal offer of €4m has reportedly been turned down, with Zaragoza owner Agapito Iglesias apparently pushing for €6m. It is understood, though, that a €5m compromise will likely be reached in the coming days.
Barcelona will reportedly turn to their B team to replace Thiago Alcantara, should the midfielder leave this summer.
Mundo Deportivo report that Thiago, in light of having seen his release clause drop from €90m down to €18m after not achieving a certain appearance percentage rate last season, has offers from Manchester United, Manchester City and Bayern Munich.
Whilst the club have also made clear to the player that they will not improve his contract to eliminate the clause, which expires at the start of August, they have reportedly drawn up a precautionary plan should he opt to leave.
In that eventuality, Barca will reportedly turn to B team midfielder Sergi Roberto. The youngster is already identified by technical staff as ready to feature more prominently in first team plans for next season.
Should Thiago leave, then the 21-year-old will see that provisional role boosted further. Thiago is expected to announce his intentions after the UEFA Under-21 Championship in Israel.
Meanwhile, the Catalans are also readying Alex Song for more game-time in 2013-14, with technical staff having assessed that he performed better than expected in his debut campaign at the Camp Nou.