Over the next few days Madrid Coach Carlo Ancelotti and his assistant Zinedine Zidane are likely to assess their squad before the start of next season to determine which players will be leaving the Santiago Bernabeu.
Reports in Spain suggest Albiol could be one of the candidates and Benitez is understood to be keen to take him to the Stadio San Paolo.
Albiol has been with Los Blancos four years following his €15m arrival from Valencia and was a first choice under Manuel Pellegrini. However, when Jose Mourinho took over from the Chilean he struggled to get into the starting line-up and has been a bit-part player ever since.
Nonetheless, it will not deter former Liverpool manager Benitez, who could ask his club to meet Madrid’s €8m valuation of the 27-year-old.
Roma's Marquinhos seemed on the verge of a move to Paris Saint-Germain, reports in the Brazilian Press claim he is holding out for Barcelona.
The Roma youngster was said to be ‘not very far away’ from a switch to the French champions on Saturday.
But media outlets in his home country claim that the centre back is not keen on Laurent Blanc’s men and would rather wait for a transfer to Camp Nou.
PSG were reported to have had a €30m bid accepted from the Giallorossi, whilst the Blaugrana have had their €25m bid rejected.
The hierarchy at Stadio Olimpico are resigned to the fact they will lose the 19-year-old and are expecting an improved offer from Tito Vilanova’s men soon.
Maxi Lopez looks set for a rollercoaster summer, with Torino and Genoa both fighting for his signature.
The Catania goalscorer, who spent last season on loan at Sampdoria, has become the subject of interest from the Granata and the Grifone, with both teams hoping to secure his services for the start of the season.
Negotiations between Torino and Catania were said to have hit a brick wall over the weekend, and according to Corriere Mercantile, Fabio Liverani’s men could take the initiative by offering a bid of their own.
The 29-year-old was at the Marassi last term with Samp, and reportedly enjoyed his time in Genoa.
Inter could make a big-money move for Hernanes this summer, as the Nerazzurri look to make amends for their poor 2012/13.
Los Leones beat La Tercera outfit Bermeo 6-1 and Valverde said he was particularly pleased with 22-year-old central midfielder Erik Moran, who is looking to break into the first team next season after seeing just 10 minutes of La Liga action in his time at the club.
“I wanted to see how Moran functioned in a central position and he did well, but it was a typical pre-season match. However, it was a good exercise for the new boys and to see how the youngsters manage in the first team, and I was satisfied with my players,” he told reporters.
Maicon and Morgan De Sanctis are both set to be confirmed as Roma players next week.
The Manchester City defender is, according to Il Messaggero, likely to arrive in the capital on Monday before signing a contract with the Giallorossi.
With the World Cup next summer, Maicon is keen to get as many minutes as possible so as to try and force his way into the Brazil squad.
He is set to cost Rudi Garcia’s side €5m.
De Sanctis meanwhile, is also due to join the Stadio Olimpico team after Napoli reportedly agreed a one-year loan deal with Queens Park Rangers man Julio Cesar.
Paris Saint-Germain defender Gregory van der Wiel is still being pursued by Inter despite their interest in Mauricio Isla.
The Nerazzurri are stepping up their chase for the Juventus man, and are likely to make a bid to the Bianconeri next week.
Corriere dello Sport however, have claimed that Walter Mazzarri’s men are still keen on bringing in the Netherlands international, who has failed to impose himself on Les Parisiens starting XI since his arrival from Ajax.
The 25-year-old admitted last week that Inter were ‘a possibility’, but PSG are unlikely to accept bids any lower than €10m.
Lucas Biglia will complete his move from Anderlecht to Lazio on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, Press reports have suggested.
Respected journalist Gianluca Di Marzio has claimed on his website that the Argentine midfielder will finally complete his switch to the Biancocelesti after months of protracted negotiations.
There were, seemingly, ‘issues’ between the 27-year-old and the Belgian club, but they have been resolved in time for the former Independiente man to sign for Vladimir Petkovic’s men.