|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - KUZNETSOVA - SCHIAVONE: Match stats: (Kuznetsova/Schiavone): 1st Serve % 69/57; Aces 5/3; Double Faults 3/10; Unforced Errors 68/67; Winners 69/59; Total Points Won 113/112.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 14-16 - Will Schiavone be in any state to face Caroline Wozniacki in the quarter-finals? No matter - she'll just enjoy having triumphed somehow. She had to save SIX match points, play for more than four and a half hours, but the Italian is through. Draw
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 14-16 - WINNER! Kuznetsova outlasts her opponent to take the first point - and then the second. Surely not another break? Schiavone fights back to level up at 30-30, and then stretches her diminutive frame to smash an overhead for her first match point. But Kuznetsova stays with her to deny her this one. Another match point chance - saved by a stupendous return! Match point three - can she? Yes! A forehand volley is just too good - incredible effort - what a match!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 14-15 - BREAK! Schiavone hits her 21st forehand winner of the match - that's the same number as Kuznetsova - to level the contest at 14-14, 30-30 in the final set. Kuznetsova commits impressively to a backhand volley which the Italian cannot control, but back Schiavone pops for deuce, and with a backhand winner she has break point - not converted, but she earns another and takes it - coming out the winner in a volley contest at the net! Wonderful play!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 14-14 - Perhaps Schiavone ought to be nervous given that she is serving to stay in the match, but then again she's had to do it several times already. She holds to love to level, playing some delightful backhands which pepper the baseline.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 14-13 - Kuznetsova is being drawn back in here - having raced into a good lead Schiavone claws her way back into the game with a thundering backhand down the line, but Kuznetsova beats her chest after finding a winner to close out the game.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 13-13 - At four hours 20 minutes, this is now the second longest match in the Open era. And Schiavone is determined to make it last a little longer, holding to 15 to level things up again.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 13-12 - Do my eyes deceive me? Kuznetsova holds to love. It wasn't easy, as the Italian fought her hard on every point - but in the context of this match it's as easy a game as the Russian could hope for.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 12-11 - The game is into a fifth hour, but despite the errors both players are pulling out some remarkable shots. Kuznetsova gets to the net and hits a cracking backhand to keep ahead, but Schiavone drags it back to deuce. The Russian comes through, however, holding serve for the first time in three attempts.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 11-11 - Kuznetsova claims the first point, but a scrambling Schiavone places the second at the net past the Russian to level. Again Kuznetsova edges ahead, and finds more break points - and somehow - somehow - she breaks Schiavone for the ninth time in this match. As you were.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 10-11 - Both players having treatment - Schiavone has the physio working on her intercostal muscles, Kuznetsova having her legs massaged. The pair are both exhausted.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 10-11 - BREAK! Neither player knows when they're beaten. Schiavone puts aside the traumas of losing her serve in the previous game to earn two more break points, but Kuznetsova battles to save the first of them. She can't repeat it, however, and Schiavone will have a second chance to serve for the match!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 10-10 - BREAK! A ripping backhand to open the game - where is Schiavone finding these - where are either of them finding their strength? Kuznetsova misses long and the pressure builds at 30-0 down, but somehow the Russian bites back and not only levels - but forces a break point! And after an epic rally - an extraordinary exchange - Kuznetsova places a backhand to the corner to leave the Italian stranded! All square again!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 9-10 - BREAK! A backhand long from the Russian gives Schiavone a chink of light at 15-30, but Kuznetsova bounces back. Break point for the Italian, though, as her chasing work pays off and Kuznetsova finds the net - and she misses the line with her forehand on break point. Schiavone tries to suppress a grin - is this the final breakthrough?
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 9-9 - Schiavone slumps to 15-40, only to save match point four with a serve that couldn't be closer to the corner if she'd picked the ball up and placed it there herself. The fifth match point goes as a forehand barrage holds off Kuznetsova. She needs to do it all over again as Kuznetsova rockets another backhand winner cross-court - and somehow Schiavone saves once more! Game point comes and goes once - but not twice.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 9-8 - Schiavone senses the tide has turned - and she's come alive! Swarming all over the Kuznetsova serve, she slams a forehand winner and screams in triumph as three break points come her way. The first is saved, as is the second despite Schiavone's anguished look at the line. CONTROVERSY! Schiavone wins the point at the net - only for the umpire to call that she touched the net as she played the winning shot! Deuce! And the next two points go the Russian's way!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 8-8 - Kuznetsova opens with a commanding winner, then takes the second point with dogged defence until Schiavone nets. 0-30 - and is this the opportunity the Russian needs? Another epic rally - and Kuznetsova takes it when her forehand catches the line! Three match points - the first is saved with a strong serve, the second with a ripping forehand - and the Russian hits the third long! Another two Kuznetsova errors and Schiavone has held! Extraordinary!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 8-7 - A wry grin from Schiavone as a forehand goes long - it was makeable and it's the difference between 30-30 and Kuznetsova taking a dominant 40-15 lead. The Italian pulls a point back but misses a chance to force deuce, slapping a backhand pass from mid-court wide.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 7-7 - 49 unforced errors from Kuznetsova to Schiavone's 52 in this game - plenty from both players, but like everything else, very even. This game heads to 30-30 as Kuznetsova misses, and she repeats the error on the next point to hand the Italian game point. Here comes the hold - no sign of a winner yet.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 7-6 - Love game for Kuznetsova, with the third point an ace challenged by Schiavone. It caught the inside line.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 6-6 - They are all over the court, throwing themselves into shots - Schiavone in close to volley for a 6-6 score in this final set. Over three hours played now - whichever of them goes through, they aren't going to be of much use against Wozniacki!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 6-5 - A quite brilliant winner from the Russian, right in the corner, to take a 0-30 lead. Schiavone up against it... two errors see the game score levelled then a massive one, hit well wide, allows the Italian to move ahead. She makes a mess of a backhand herself to go to deuce...
- - Can Sveta break now to win it, with the match clock only three minutes away from three hours? The crowd egg them on... Francesca's heavily strapped leg is giving her hell too. Both struggling out there.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 6-5 SCHIAVONE - Kuznetsova will not be looking forward to playing on - no tiebreak in the deciders, remember - given that she is feeling those blisters acutely. And Schiavone returns magnificently to snatch a break point! This is crucial... she hits out to waste it! Kuznetsova wrongfoots her to gain advantage then a desperate stretch and volley just sees the ball beat Schiavone's racquet!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 5-5 SCHIAVONE - A hold to love from Schiavone, who has appeared in Melbourne on 10 occasions and reached the semi-finals of the women's doubles in 2009.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 5-4 SCHIAVONE - What a rally! There were at least three lost causes that were gotten back as both girls flew forward and back, left and right - and eventually Kuznetsova volleyed home as the crowd thundered applause. More errors follow that put Schiavone on the cusp on a break, but Kuznetsova hangs on... and comes through to crucially hold!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 4-4 SCHIAVONE - Another back and forth rally which ends with Kuznetsova firing a backhand into the net. However her rival hits wide to take it to deuce. Another backhand into the net gives Francesca advantage and she levels in this final set with an ace.
- - The first two sets were 51 and 53 minutes long, while this one has reached 40.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 4-3 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - It is Schiavone's turn to play the hardworker card, but she throws away a break chance with a wild swing that sends the tennis ball miles! However Sveta errors gives her a chance to get back into this set - and she does so. Back on serve.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 4-2 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - A deserved key break for Kuznetsova. She is tiring but maintaining a level of workrate as she chases shots down.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 3-2 SCHIAVONE - Server Svetlana gets a smash horribly wrong at deuce again, sending it into the net. But after saving the break point she is given a lifeline as Fransesca does something similar with a wide volley - and the hold is secured from there.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 2-2 SCHIAVONE - The French Open champion, who has never been beyond this fourth-round stage in Melbourne, too powerful on serve while Kuznetsova is gobsmacked when a challenge reveals that it was, in fact, out.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 2-1 SCHIAVONE - A hold to love from Kuznetsova, a rare event in this rugged match.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 1-1 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Francesca should do better than cob a forehand down the line there - and is punished as Kuznetsova whips it back past her. The Russian is striking the flatter shots while the Italian's double fault count hits nine... the 23 seed's doggedness pays off in another proglonged deuce exchange.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 0-1 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Scream of joy from Schiavone as she takes the first break in the deciding set. It was a simple break for her, too.
- - Or why not sign in/sign up to watch it on your computer using our online TV service? Eurosport Player
- - Watch the match live on Eurosport. TV guide
- - Kuznetsova receiving treatment for blisters courtside.
- - Set stats: (Kuznetsova/Schiavone): 1st Serve % 68/57; Aces 1/2; Double Faults 1/4; Unforced Errors 10/19; Winners 17/14; Total Points Won 46/35.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 6-1 SCHIAVONE - KUZNETSOVA LEVELS AT ONE SET ALL - The Italian so suspect on serve at the moment, saving set point before hitting long to allow Sveta tp convert the next one. The rallies are looking tired now, such is the effort that the players have put in.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 5-1 SCHIAVONE - Yet another game that goes to deuce then heads this way and that - and it now looks very likely that this match will go to three sets as Kuznetsova takes it.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 4-1 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - What a shot from Schiavone to save double break point! She hurls herself at a forehand to make sure it defeats Kuznetsova. It only delays the moment that Sveta pulls out a three-frame lead in this set, however, volleying at the net to seal it.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 3-1 SCHIAVONE - These two are giving absolutely everything out there as the local time approaches five o'clock in the afternoon. Kuznetsova holds relatively comfortably.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 2-1 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Two break points for Kuznetsova after Schiavone hit long. The first is saved well by a deep drive from the Milanese, and the second with a smash! Double fault puts her heart in her mouth again, but Sveta dips one just wide. After a mammoth battle on deuce with both players taking advantage, another double from Francesca sees Kuznetsova break!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 1-1 SCHIAVONE - A real battle of attrition and shot-making ends in favour of the server again. Svetlana needed to win that to keep up some momentum and confidence.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 0-1 SCHIAVONE - The Russian, 25 years of age compared with the 30 of Schiavone, fails to make break point count but later deals with a drop volley superbly by consigning it to the corner to return to deuce. However Schiavone takes the lead in the second set from there.
- - The prize for winning is a place opposite world No.1 Wozniacki in the last eight. Women's draw
- - Set stats: (Kuznetsova/Schiavone): 1st Serve % 65/42; Aces 1/0; Double Faults 2/2; Unforced Errors 14/15; Winners 8/13; Total Points Won 30/35.
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-6 SCHIAVONE - Schiavone challenges an in-call on the baseline, with success. It allows her to side-spin an evil backhand chop to go advantage up... AND A MASSIVE ERROR FROM SVETA GIVES SCHIAVONE THE FIRST SET! She had the whole court to aim at but smashed tamely straight at her opponent - and when the soft return came back, she somehow contrived to volley a few feet out!
- - KUZNETSOVA 4-5 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - The Italian has most of the court to aim at, but is not really in position as the volley comes across her - and she hits wide. She does excellently to flick one down the line after a clever Kuznetsova drop - and after hitting long a very similar reaction at the net sees her produce another of those for 30-30! However Kuznetsova goes on to force errors and break back for a second time!
- - KUZNETSOVA 3-5 SCHIAVONE - Better approach play from the Russian to remain in contention in this set - allied to more accurate groundstrokes. She must break now though.
- - KUZNETSOVA 2-5 SCHIAVONE - The Italian, seeded six compared with Kuznetsova's 23, one game away from the first set following another battle on deuce. She is just winning more points than her rival through playing more consistently and aggressively.
- - KUZNETSOVA 2-4 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Massive challenge from Kuznetsova... it fails! Her shot was millimetres wide and, at advantage down, she is broken by Schiavone. She had already saved one break point earlier in the game.
- - KUZNETSOVA 2-3 SCHIAVONE - Good challenge from Schiavone to complete the hold to love. She rightly claimed that her shot had caught the baseline.
- - KUZNETSOVA 2-2 SCHIAVONE - With the set back on serve, Kuznetsova moves back level in real terms also. She is seeking the corners up the line, with irregular success it has to be said.
- - KUZNETSOVA 1-2 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Top tennis in a competitive third game which goes to deuce a few times. Kuznetsova ultimately breaks back with a crafty lob that has her opponent reaching for an overhead backhand volley - Schiavone gets to it but it falls short of the net.
- - KUZNETSOVA 0-2 SCHIAVONE - BREAK - Kuznetsova with a sublime winner but is dragged back to 30-30 as a ball boy cops one and manages to raise a grin... a massive miscue from Sveta as a ball sits up awkardly, but she saves break point. However a slightly wide shot up the line sees the Italian break nonetheless.
- - KUZNETSOVA 0-1 SCHIAVONE - The opening game goes with serve after the Russian won the toss. Both players seek to attack at the net.
- - Or why not sign in/sign up to watch it on your computer using our online TV service? Eurosport Player
- - Watch the match live on Eurosport 2, with Federer on the other channel. TV guide
- - They are out and warming up. This could be an interesting game with plenty of variation in their shots - and Sveta looking in good form again against Justine Henin in the last round.
- - The girls will be out shortly.
|Date of Birth||27/06/1985|
|Date of Birth||23/06/1980|