|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FEDERER 6-0 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! On deuce Fed aces with his second serve to bring up a second match point. Wow. But then Monaco brings out his best tennis tonight, smashing a selection of baseline shots with Fed netting one effort. Match point again though as Monaco nets a return... Monaco somehow returns the next one but Federer kills the follow-up to win. Tsonga next! Men's draw in full!
- - FEDERER 5-0 - A glorious, old-school serve-volley from Fed drops inches over the net as some possibly inebriated jocks yelp from the stands. Easy lads, it's only Monday. Tuesday. Drop shot for the next point and just two for the match... A point is dropped though, but he makes up for it with a booming backhand which Monaco manages to meet but can only watch as Fed passes it clear. He literally throws in the towel - to some fans that is - and Fed almost takes match point but his lob drops long.
- - FEDERER 5-0 - BREAK! Monaco is falling apart, not that he was ever together, as he blunders his way to 0-30 down. To be fair Fed isn't helping. Two break points after another Fed-controlled rally. Monaco chasing shadows. Fed almost mis-hits one out of Queens, just to prove he is human. The break is complete though with a weak slice into the net and a third-set bagel is on...
- - FEDERER 4-0 - At 30-30 Monaco challenges a call that his shot was out... Federer played it so I assume he has a point... No, it was out. Great serve to follow, hold.
- - FEDERER 3-0 - BREAK! Fed is playing like it's the final, and his opponent is someone well good. He's pushing himself to meet everything with a killer winner and is largely succeeding. He has two break points after Monaco nets a forehand. Down to one, good serve Monaco. And Federer breaks after a magnificent rally, Monaco played his part but the cat-like old man is on fire and volleys at pace to win.
- - Federer wants to get on with this; Monaco should want play suspended but I hazard he'd like to get to the nearest bar and forget about it.
- - FEDERER 2-0 - Monaco has the nerve to win the first point off serve, and the next sees him think he's going to win that too - only for Fed to stroke the ball away from a tight angle. It's raining. No. Please, no. Meanwhile, Fed holds as Monaco thwacks a return long.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - BREAK! Fed's going to break to love here, with a killer return, a lovely backhand and the luck of the net call giving him three break points. Taken, with a poor forehand from Monaco netting low. He swears in Spanish. Fed may as well light up a pipe.
- - FEDERER 6-2 - SET! Federer, a point to the good, tries one of his through-the-legs hot-dogs but long. Well played Monaco on that point. Ace follows, just to remind him who's pater. Two set points. Fed drops a point though, an unforced error that leads him to bounce his racquet. Still set point, taken as Monaco nets his return.
- - FEDERER 5-2 - BREAK! Superb shot selection from Fed as he levels up at a point apeice, Monaco stretching in vain. And then after looking a touch Fed with some powerful backhands, Monaco fluffs his volley to net, an easy one too with Fed stranded. And after a half-decent Fed return Monaco again finds string with a poor backhand. Unforced errors, two break points, reduced to one by an ACE. And a third unforced error of the game sees Monaco broken twice in a row.
- - FEDERER 4-2 - Swift hold and a racquet change for the legend. Serve is too good. And the rest.
- - FEDERER 3-2 - ...and neither has popped the question yet. Federer's backhands are majestic though, and he works them with variety to edge back to break point... Nope, serve too good. Then a tasty rally sees Monaco extend his groundstrokes and it's Fed who overhits - twice. Painful hold.
- - FEDERER 3-1 - Roger is in cruise control as he glides about swatting Monaco's efforts. Not like flies, as they are tricky little blighters, more like a baseball bat and a hot air balloon. But hang on, an unforced error? Trying one of his curling backhands around and inside the net. Kills the next point though. Almost a killer return but an inch out. But the next one he gets oh so right as Monaco flies out with the bounced ball. Then an ace! They're both flirting with this game...
- - FEDERER 3-1 - Monaco is not a happy bunny, having a rant at someone or himself, not sure, as he wipes the sweat from his hairy brow. Nice easy hold for Fed. Seconds.
- - FEDERER 2-1 - A surprisingly swift hold from Monaco, who finally gets his first serve together and only drops the one point.
- - FEDERER 2-0 - A perfect hold as Fed aces his way to another chance at breaking.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - BREAK! Monaco is fighting for his life to hold at the start of the second and, at 40-30, he is dished up a killer disguised forehand pass down the line by Federer. Ooooh. Monaco nabs an advantage but is pegged back with a wild forehand. And he hands Fed the break point with a panicky shot... taken, an unforced error this time as he spoons one wide.
- - NB it is now, officially, Tuesday in New York as well as over Europe. Tardy.
- - FEDERER 6-1 - SET! Great first serve, unreturnable, then casual - dare I say arrogant - volley at the net. I would say he didn't move but Fed moved from baseline to net in that nanosecond. 40-0 now as Monaco has no answer to the first serve. And he nets a forehand and it's the set, to love.
- - FEDERER 5-1 - It breathes! A big serve rounds up Monaco's first decent game to a hold. Fed serving for the set though.
- - FEDERER 5-0 - Well at least I'll beat rush hour (UK). Fed holds to love, this is a hiding so far.
- - FEDERER 4-0 - BREAK! Oh Roger. What pity to be overtaken by a pair of beefcake robots. That was a lovely slice-backhand combination, effortless as it was precise. Sigh. Monaco tries to be aggressive but Fed toys with him and holds to 15, meeting the Argentine's sharp serve and volley with diffidence and scoffing at his double fault. Monaco is rightly angry as some 'douche' yelped as he served. Words from the umpire.
- - FEDERER 3-0 - In the time it took me to check my Wozniacki copy and type his name, Federer holds.
- - FEDERER 2-0 - BREAK! Killer return from Fed to kick off Monaco's first service game. Just letting him know who he's up against. And three break points now as he blisters another return beyond his opponent. Long this time though, 15-40... And his next return angles nicely for a Monac smash. Just the one break point left... Taken. Decent return but the wind fools Monaco, who slices it away.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - It's almost midnight in New York and Fed doesn't want to hang around. He really goes for Monaco early on but the Argentine wins a couple of points with some slick returning, drawing Fed a bit too close for comfort. ACE! 129mph there. And a hold as Monaco skews a return well wide.
- - Roger Federer, seeded third, faces unseeded Juan Monaco for a place in the quarters against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. They have played twice before, Fed winning both.
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|
|Date of Birth||29/03/1984|