|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 6-3 -Nadal serves for the match and brings up three match points with a sumptuous backhand overhead. Lovely stuff. Kohlschreiber chips one up into the centre of the court and Nadal rushes in to dispatch a firm forehand and reach the next round. That was a strong third set from the number one seed.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 5-3 - The German opens with a big ace but is then wayward with a thumped forehand which squirms the wrong side of the line. A lovely, delicate drop-volley gives Nadal a 15-30 lead before a lob from the Spaniard lands just out. A sliding backhand from Kohlschreiber is misjudged to bring up deuce, before he holds when Nadal's return dribbles into the net.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 5-2 -Kohlschreiber lets Nadal into a 30-0 lead when putting a volley into the net. More trademark power from the Spaniard takes him to 40-0 and though Kohlschreiber gets his frame to the next serve, the ball doesn't sneak over the net.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 4-2 -Nadal looks angry when a shot lands out and looks quizzically at the match umpire, but 30-0 it is to the German. Nadal goes long again but beats Kohlschreiber with a huge forehand to pull a point back. It is in vain as his next return finds the net.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 4-1 -Kohlschreiber pulls out a lovely one-handed backhand return that dips low and forces Nadal into an error for 15-15. However, the favourite responds with some agile work around the court and wraps up the game when his opponent puts a forehand wide.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 3-1 - BREAK! - Nadal levels at 15-15 when dispatching a belting forehand to end a lengthy rally and then a thunderous passing shot proves unreturnable. Nadal seals the break to 30.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7 (2) 2-1 - Nadal ends the run of breaks at the start of the third set with a good display of power hitting. Kohlschreiber couldn't cope with the Spaniard there.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7(2) 1-1 - BREAK! - Three chances for Nadal as he attacks the German's serve. He cannot take the first or second - hitting long and wide - but Kohlschreiber hits into the net to seal the break back.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7(2) 0-1 - BREAK! - Nadal again struggling for rhythm. He goes break point down and Kohlschreiber seals it with a brilliant forehand pass down the line.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-7(2) - SET! - Great winner from Nadal but it is a momentary reprieve as Kohlschreiber claims the second set to level in the match.
- - (1-6) He loses the first at the net then Kohlschreiber returns brilliantly up the line to earn five set points!
- - (1-4) Nadal gets on the board before a Kohlschreiber ace. Nadal needs to win these two service points.
- - (0-3) Kohlschreiber wins the first point on serve then goes 2-0 up with a backhand pass as Nadal looked to volley at the net. And he is now two mini-breaks up as Nadal is left floundering in the corner!
- - NADAL 6-3 6-6 - Love service game to hold from Nadal to take us into a tiebreak.
- - Nadal struggling to assert control, but one reader believes in him. /// Karen: "come on rafa baby..u can do it x love u x" Saucy.
- - NADAL 6-3 5-6 - Kohlschreiber goes 30-0 up but a pair of errors gives Nadal sight of a break. He earns the chance with a delicious forehand winner but when he hits the netcord on the following rally, Kohlschreiber can drop the ball back over for deuce. Nadal fails to convert another break point before the German closes out the game with two big serves which Nadal cannot get back.
- - NADAL 6-3 5-5 - Nadal has missed a few forehands today and labours to 30-15 up here as he seeks the all-important hold. He cracks a winner for 40-15 before a wonderful disguised Kohlschreiber drop-shot from the baseline catches him out. Nadal confirms the hold on the next point.
- - Nadal has said his preparations for the new season have not been ideal as he adjusts to using a heavier bat. UNDER-PREPARED NADAL ADJUSTING TO HEAVIER RACQUET
- - NADAL 6-3 4-5 - Kohlschreiber races through to 40-0 before the first double-fault of the match. An ace follows to move him within a game of the set - a break would give him it.
- - NADAL 6-3 4-4 - The Nadal serve stalls again before his fifth ace - against Kohlschreiber's total of three - hauls back the score to 30-30. A lob from the top seed just lands long on the next point but he fight back with the next three points, including a serve-volley to finish, to level in the set.
- - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga laboured to a first-round victory over wildcard Malek Jaziri. TSONGA LABOURS TO FIRST-ROUND WIN
- - An interesting stat halfway through that game was that Kohlschreiber had won 9/13 net points in the second set compared with 0/4 in set one. Nadal had similar stats with 3/4 and 4/4.
- - NADAL 6-3 3-4 - BREAK! - Better from Nadal on Kohlschreiber's serve, which is holding up to the pressure. With the German close to the net, Nadal strikes a wicked dipping pass that saves the deuce. He earns three break points before wearing down his rival to seal the break. Back on serve.
- - NADAL 6-3 2-4 - Nadal again put under pressure as Kohlschreiber comes in close. He responds with an ace then a zipping winner to the corner - and a delicate drop finishes the hold.
- - NADAL 6-3 1-4 - A wonderful pass from Nadal but he then goes 15-30 down. He looks a bit ragged at the net but manages to slap home a winner. Kohlschreiber volleys for game point then unsuccessfully challenges a Nadal shot which he feels is long. From deuce Nadal looks tired as he goes three games down again.
- - NADAL 6-3 1-3 - Wide from Nadal to start but he hits back with a net approach and ace on his way to 40-15 up. However he then sits on the baseline and comes off worst in the long rallies to go to deuce. A wild mis-hit from Kohlschreiber then a long forehand from him, after a cheeky exchange at the net which saw Nadal lob him, ends the game in the Spaniard's favour.
- - Paris St-Germain sporting director Leonardo in the crowd in Doha with his other half and baby. PSG are now owned by the Qatar Investment Authority.
- - NADAL 6-3 0-3 - Kohlschreiber finds his range on both forehand and backhand, but at 30-0 up is beaten all ends up by a ripping Nadal backhand. An error brings Nadal level but an ace up the middle and a flat forehand winner see him cement his lead in the set.
- - NADAL 6-3 0-2 - BREAK! - Nadal attacked by Kohlschreiber. On the first point a flailing Nadal racquet sends the ball long then his opponent hits a stunning winner. And after winning his first break points of the match - two of them - Kohlschreiber converts at 30-40 to gain control of this set.
- - NADAL 6-3 0-1 - Accurate serving from Kohlschreiber to hold the opening game of the second set, including a big ace.
- - NADAL 6-3 - SET! Nadal races to 30-0 with two huge forehand winners, before Kohlschreiber plants a tame backhand into the net as the Spaniard is presented with three set points. The top seed finds a big first serve, but drags a forehand into the net.
- - NADAL 5-3 - Kohlschreiber holds serve to 30 after showing real guts to battle through two long rallies and reduce the deficit. Nadal has to now serve out for the opening set after giving that game everything. Can Kohlschreiber find a timely response?
- - NADAL 5-2 - Nadal slams an emphatic forehand winner down the line to close out his latest service game, and the top seed moves to within a game of the opening set. Can Kohlschreiber at least hold his own serve and force the Spaniard to serve out for it?
- - NADAL 4-2 - Kohlschreiber reduces the deficit with a composed hold, and Nadal is being forced to work very hard to run through this opening set. Kohlschreiber is beginning to find a good rhythm on his serve now.
- - NADAL 4-1 - The Spaniard consolidates his break of serve with a comfortable hold, and Kohlschreiber is unable to hit back immediately. The German is struggling to keep pace with the top seed.
- - NADAL 3-1 - BREAK! Kohlschreiber errs crucially on his first serve, and Nadal ruthlessly capitalises with a string of fierce groundstrokes which leave his opponent utterly shell-shocked. The top seed is very much in the ascendancy now.
- - NADAL 2-1 - The top seed slams a forehand down the line to put Kohlschreiber firmly onto the back foot once more, and a string of crushing blows sees the Spaniard hold to 15. Kohlschreiber is battling hard to stay in the rallies already.
- - NADAL 1-1 - Kohlschreiber gets on the board immediately with a composed service hold, and he finds a good rhythm with Nadal unable to make a real impact on his opponent's delivery at this early stage.
- - NADAL 1-0 - Nadal has no problems whatsoever in establishing himself at the start of this opening set with three big first serves and a crisp forehand down the line to close out the game. Can Kohlschreiber follow suit?
- - NADAL 0-0 - Nadal, sporting a lurid bright green top, wins the toss and elects to serve first.
- - Nadal, unsurprisingly, leads the pair's head-to-head record by a margin of 7-0. World number 43, Kohlschreiber, is three years Nadal's senior.
- - You can stay fully abreast with all the matches from ATP Doha with our LIVE scorecentre
- - The three seeds in action on the opening day of ATP Doha came through unscathed but Igor Kunitsyn was shocked by Benjamin Becker. Fifth-seeded Serb Viktor Troicki won 6-4 7-6(4) against Czech Lukas Rosol while eighth seed Andreas Seppi of Italy beat Lukasz Kubot of Poland 6-2 6-3. Read more
- - Welcome to LIVE text coverage of world number two Rafael Nadal's first-round clash against Philipp Kohlschreiber at ATP Doha.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||16/10/1983|