|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 4-6 – GAME, SET AND MATCH! A late call from the line judge, but probably the right call against Li. A poor return from the same player and it’s 30-0. Clijsters thinks she gets the ace, but it clips the net and Li creams the return off the second serve down the line. Another wonderful return down the line from Li, but Clijsters now has match point, and she takes it! Li hits into the net and that is finally that.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 4-5 – Just what is their problem? This seems to happen so often, players choking as soon as they’re in the ascendency. Clijsters can barely get a shot over the net as Li runs into a 40-15 lead. A double fault from Li, but no matter as she fizzes a winner up the line.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 3-5 – BREAK! Clijsters serving for the match...so nervy from Clijsters though as she hits terribly long. She now forehands into the net and it’s a double break point! Overly ambitious from Li, but she’ll have another chance...just wide from the Belgian, no challenge and that is the break.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 2-5 – Clijsters with brilliant defending and she basically forces the mistake. Two terrific shots from Li and she’s not quite given up yet. Another winner crosscourt as Clijsters guesses wrong, and she backs it up with an ace to take the game.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 1-5 – Sixth double fault for Clijsters, then Li follows it with a spanked forehand down the line. Clijsers uses the pace off the Li shot in the next point though for the winner, then an ace, and another and she’s a game from victory.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 1-4 – Li gets to 30 for the first time in a long while, but she’s not moving her feet at all well and she shanks a forehand well long. Clijsters hands the game to her though as she commits two unforced errors in a row.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 0-4 – Clijsters holds her serve to love, but this is all about Li’s collapse. There’s just no fight at all from the Chinese player; obviously struggling in the heat as well.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 0-3 – BREAK! Li’s completely lost it here. She’s now feeling a little sorry for herself and she’s missing off of both wings. Clijsters moves to 0-40...and she takes it to love with a winner up the line. This is all but over, match point was basically that set point in the tie break.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 0-2 – Clijsters makes a great defensive lob, but Li’s overhead is really poor and she knocks it long. Clijsters hits her first ace of the match and she moves ever further ahead in the final set.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 0-1 – BREAK! It’s Clijsters that is invariably coming out on top now in the rallies, but Li retaliates with a devastating winner up the line. Another mistake on the Li forehand though and break point...but an incredible save in the circumstances as she finds the line. Clijsters nails the return, then forces the mistake and gets the break.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-7 (6-8) – SET! Li hits a poor backhand into the net and what a collapse this is turning into...set point...and the backhand is out and that’s the set! So so poor from Li Na. How can you choke like that in just the fourth round?
- - Li Na 6-4 6-6 (6-6) – Li hits the crosscourt forehand out, but on the Clijsters second serve she belts back a winner for four match points...the first goes into the net...the second she forehands long...the third she clips the net and Clijsters can smash home...and the fourth is a perfect lob, though the drop shot should have been buried by Li!
- - Li Na 6-4 6-6 (5-1) – Again a mistake off the forehand, this time from Clijsters, and she follows it up with an even easier miss. Li thinks she has the ace, but Kim challenges and gets the call. Li follows it with a double fault! Clijsters is throwing it away though as she hits another into the net. A double fault next from the Belgian, a smash from Li and she has a huge lead at the turnaround.
- - Li Na 6-4 6-6 – Li with a winner off her backhand side – by far her stronger wing today – and she takes the game to love and forces the second set to go to a tie break. Clijsters has to win this to stay in the tournament.
- - Li Na 6-4 5-6 – Li sends Clijsters the wrong way, but lets her off the hook with a poor forehand that goes six feet long. Yet another goes long and hands the Belgian the game on a plate.
- - Li Na 6-4 5-5 – Clijsters doesn’t really move her feet quick enough and hits into the net. Huge Li forehand puts her ahead and a couple of Clijsters mistakes allows Li to level the set.
- - Li Na 6-4 4-5 – The first double of the set from Clijsters at a big moment in the match. She gets her next first serve in though and Li hits long. Li does so again, challenges, but the call was right and the Chinese player will have to serve to stay in the second set.
- - Li Na 6-4 4-4 – Li steadies herself with a comfortable hold of her own as the second set enters its crucial phase. She can really blow hot and cold, and she’s warming up again.
- - Li Na 6-4 3-4 – Clijsters comfortably rattles through her service game as Li hits a forehand on the run just out. The Belgian moves in front in the second set and it’s very much game on now. Li’s getting worse and Clijsters is getting better...
- - Li Na 6-4 3-3 – BREAK! Clijsters was convinced a shot goes out, but plays the point anyway and comes out on top. Two break back points...and Li hits terribly long. What has happened to her? Possibly the heat’s getting to her, it’s well over 30 degrees in Melbourne now.
- - Li Na 6-4 3-2 – Must win game for Clijsters and Li hands it to her on a plate, making error after error and the Belgian wins it to love.
- - Li Na 6-4 3-1 – Too much air on Li’s drop shot and it’s inviting for Clijsters, who swots it up the line. Double fault from Li at 30-30, and the heat looks like it’s getting to her a bit. Just long from Clijsters and Li has the advantage...not taken. Brilliant length from Li though and she has another chance...and Clijsters hits long. Three games in a row now for Li.
- - Li Na 6-4 2-1 – BREAK! A midcourt forehand is missed by Li, with Clijsters reluctant to run for it, so a lucky let off. Another let off for the Belgian as Li returns a soft second serve into the net. Break point as Clijsters’ backhand goes wide, and after magnificent defence from Li her opponent’s forehand goes wide.
- - Li Na 6-4 1-1 – Li has missed her last four shots in a really poor start to this second set. Partially redeems herself with a winner, and further makes up for it with her third ace of the match. Clijsters mistake and the set is level.
- - Li Na 6-4 0-1 – Fifth backhand winner from Li, this one creamed up the line. A mistake off the same wing though, but back to sublime again with a crosscourt winner. A couple of long returns though and Clijsters gets the important hold.
- - Li Na 6-4 – SET! Clijsters slaps a crosscourt winner off her forehand side, then challenges the call and gets the replay. Li wins the point anyway and has a single set point...consummately down as she hits the serve out wide, then the reply down the line for a clean winner.
- - Li Na 5-4 – BREAK! Clijsters is looking good, but she isn’t really having to move from the middle of the court at the moment. She looks back to her box though after an error, then Li plays expertly past her as she chases down the angled overhead. Two break points, and she needs the second, but it’s world class tennis from the both of them, Li just having too much.
- - Li Na 4-4 – Li looked affected by that injury at first, as if it took her eye off the ball, but she’s back on it now as she hits an ace to take her service game to love.
- - Li Na 3-4 - Clijsters is very heavily strapped. Time will tell how she copes. 30-30 at the restart, but she doesn't appear too hampered by it as she holds following a deuce.
- - Li Na 3-3 – A wild miss-hit on the backhand side from Li. Clijsters slips on her ankle and immediately is hobbling! She’s getting it strapped straight away, but she could be in trouble...
- - Li Na 3-3 – Another double fault from Li, but her groundstrokes are firing as she fires a deep backhand winner behind the Belgian. All evened up again after 23 minutes of play.
- - Li Na 2-3 – BREAK! A double fault from Clijsters brings up 0-40 and Li only needs one invitation as she forces her opponent to hit long for yet another break.
- - Li Na 1-3 – BREAK! The ball climbs over the net in favour of Clijsters, who does the cursory apology. Fiercely struck from Li as she goes down the line, the Belgian only managing to get her frame to it. Clijsters has got a couple of break points though...and it’s too good as Clijsters guides the return down the line for a winner.
- - Li Na 1-2 – The first hold of the match from the Belgian and it’s pretty comfortable with Li failing to get a real read on Clijsters’ serve.
- - Li Na 1-1 – BREAK! Li’s not getting enough serves in and she double faults for 30-30. Break point as Li knocks long and it’s a fantastic winner that clips the baseline from the Belgian. An immediate break back.
- - Li Na 1-0 – BREAK! Superb control from Li as she guides the ball past Clijsters. She can’t do the same with the next point though as she slices long. Still a break point though and Li makes it with a perfect return winner up the line.
- - Right, back with the ladies and it’s a repeat of last year’s final as the Champion Kim Clijsters takes on Li Na.
|Date of Birth||08/06/1983|
|Date of Birth||26/02/1982|