|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 3-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH - Serena hits the net at 30-15 to add intrigue and pile pressure on the American... and when she loops out a return a point later, she's facing match point. An ace sorts out that particular problem but it rears its ugly head twice more soon after. Again, she saves them, but at the fourth time of asking, Serena hits one wide and Makarova secures the biggest upset of this tournament so far! The Russian goes on to Sharapova or Lisicki in the quarters. Full women's draw
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 3-5 - Stunning from Makarova as Serena passes up the chance to win the point by smashing straight at the Russian, who returns with interest right back past her! And a point later Makarova wins the game, despite having been 0-30 down. One game away from a famous upset now! Serena is on the brink. What has she got?
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 3-4 - An eighth and ninth ace of the match for Serena sees her home safely in game number seven of the second set. But another brilliant winner from Makarova midway through the game prompts an admiring look from Serena as the Russian continues to impress.
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 2-4 - A running volley gives Makarova a good start to this game and but two stunning winners from Serena - after a bad shank - bring up deuce. Makarova responds with a backhand version of her own on her way to confirming that break. The left-hander from Russia is now just two games from the match.
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 2-3 - BREAK - Serena drops to 0-30 but an ace helps her recover. It's only momentary though as a double fault on the next point gives Makarova two break points. Serena fires a winner down the line to save the first before a quite wonderful drop shot deals with the second. But her up-and-down serve lets her down again soon after and Makarova breaks again! Serena's in big trouble now!
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 2-2 - Makarova confirms that beak as Serena goes long on game point and we're back on serve on Rod Laver. Serena looks on ruefully as her shot goes out. It's tough out there today.
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 2-1 - BREAK - Hang on, spoke too soon! On her own serve, Serena falls to 0-40 and Makarova makes no mistake as she breaks back immediately, much to the delight of her entourage in the players' box!
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 2-0 - BREAK - The fight-back is on! Serena unleashes a backhand return to bring up three break points and she wastes no time to securing the break with another awesome winner, this time on her forehand!
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 1-0 - That's better from Serena and just what she needed. A vicious forehand seals the game for the number 12 seed as she looks to keep alive her hopes of winning a sixth Aussie Open title.
- - WILLIAMS 2-6 - SET - This is a turn-up for the books! Serena manages to save five set points in an epic game - which includes a sensational rally that Makarova wins as she attacks Serena at the net, forcing the American into an error - but she finally succumbs as the Russian claims the opening set to two!
- - WILLIAMS 2-5 - BREAK - Makarova continues her excellent start by bringing up two break points, the second of which she takes as Serena hits the net! This is an amazing story brewing, as Serena glugs some water in the searing heat.
- - WILLIAMS 2-4 - Makarova confirms that break and the Russian, number 56 in the world, could be on for another upset here, having already bumped out compatriot Vera Zvonareva.
- - WILLIAMS 2-3 - Makarova breaks serve to gain the upper hand early on. She's hoping to book a spot in the quarter-finals against either Maria Sharapova or Sabine Lisicki, who play tonight.
- - WILLIAMS 2-2 - Makarova kicks off with an ace and ends the game with a stunning forehand winner, played with a raw power that Serena herself would be proud of.
- - WILLIAMS 2-1 - We're still on serve at the temperature rises further on Rod Laver Arena. Serena applies an ice towel at the changeover and the number 12 seed will be looking to get this one over with as quickly as possible. Makarova, of course, has other ideas.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - Serena's wearing that lattice strapping on her left leg again today but as throughout this tournament, it doesn't seem to bother her. She brings up deuce with a great forehand winner before getting to break point. She can't capitalise though as she fires one long and Makarova responds by holding.
- - WILLIAMS 0-0 - Okay, here we go on Rod Laver! Serena to serve first.
- - Up next on Rod Laver is Serena Williams, who meets Russian Ekaterina Makarova for a place in the quarters.
|Date of Birth||07/06/1988|
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|