|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Sharapova 6-1 6-2 – MATCH! Brilliant ball striking from Sharapova to go into a 0-30 lead. She guesses the right way on the next point, but can’t control her shot. Kerber challenges the call, but it was out and it’s two match points...another winner and that is suddenly that. She’s only lost five games in the entire tournament, three of them coming here. She plays either Kuznetsova or Lisicki in the next round.
- - Sharapova 6-1 5-2 – Sharapova makes no mistake this time on serve and it looks like the German’s resistance is finally broken. The Russian is now just a game from victory.
- - Sharapova 6-1 4-2 – BREAK! Brilliant passing shot from Kerber. A mistake from Sharpova, but she makes up for it with a well timed drop shot, putting the return into the empty court. She brings up deuce, but hits long. Kerber plants a perfect forehand up the line, but mistakes, including a final drop shot that she hits into the net gives Maria the vital break.
- - Sharapova 6-1 3-2 – Sharapova’s serve so far has been miraculously good – it’s usually pretty awful – but it’s now starting to break down. She gets the second serve in, but her groundstroke is long. Big point from Maria as she goes for the serve out wide then the punch down the line. A netted forehand from Kerber later and Sharapova inches back ahead.
- - Sharapova 6-1 2-2 –... Break point for Sharapova, but on the run and she hits wide. Kerber brings Sharapova to the net though and her lack of pace tells as the German finally holds. A really gritty performance to get back on level terms in this second set.
- - Sharapova 6-1 2-1 – Sharapova’s dictating this match still. She only loses if she makes mistakes, but they’re starting to creep in. Nevertheless powerful hitting for 15-30, but an equally huge forehand from Kerber levels. Amazing hitting from Sharapova, but with the easiest shot of the rally she clips the net and it goes just long. Too good from Kerber, too good from Sharapova – they’re exchanging brutal winners out there. Kerber comes to the net to good effect, but Sharapova’s relentless...
- - Sharapova 6-1 2-1 –BREAK! ...a winner into the corner from Sharapova. Again the break is saved thanks to a big serve and a comfortable put away. Break point number three...a perfect lob from Maria and back to deuce. This is now the seventh deuce in an 11 minute game for God’s sake. Break point Kerber again, break point saved again as the German plays too conservatively. Break point five, but you’ve guessed it. Oh my, Sharapova misses the easiest shot you’ll ever see and promptly loses the game.
- - Sharapova 6-1 2-0 – Finally a second point dropped on Sharapova’s serve. She replies by belting an angled winner with an almighty scream, but Kerber shows something here as she hits a winner in behind the run of the Russian. It’s deuce, but another good serve gives Maria the advantage. She misses an easy put away close to the net, but more aggressive play at the net and it’s another advantage. This is turning into a vital game , Kerber yells ‘Come on!’ as she works the break point...
- - Sharapova 6-1 2-0 – BREAK! Kerber looks beaten already as she makes a third double fault of the match. A long forehand and it’s three break points...the line judge called the ball out, but on Hawkeye it shows it was well in. Sharapova gets the point, but Kerber had her racket on it! That should be a replay of the point. Kerber can’t even be bothered to challenge that.
- - Sharapova 6-1 1-0 – Sharapova’s lost only one point on her serve so far and she’s just too good here as she drops the ball over the net then overheads the lob off her backhand side. Another ace and that is yet another game to love on her serve.
- - Sharapova 6-1 – A nice winner on the stretch from the German as she lets fly up the line. It’s not enough to prevent the set point though, however a big serve up the tee brings it back to deuce. A double fault gives Maria another chance and a wild forehand travels beyond the tramlines and that is the set.
- - Sharapova 5-1 – Sharapova’s serve is proving tough for Kerebr so far. She fails to read the second serve for 40-0 and she does even worse off the next return, hitting it wide by miles. She stands and shrugs her shoulders in a bit of a huff.
- - Sharapova 4-1 – BREAK! Lots of those strange fist clenches from Maria today. She’s clearly pumped up for this match and it’s another easy break as she streaks away in this first set.
- - Sharapova 3-1 – A poor drop shot this time from Sharapova, getting way too much height over the net. No matter though as she rips off a couple of winners off both wings and to either corner. Kerber misses the line by inches and another winner up the line for the game to 15.
- - Sharapova 2-1 – ...and finally she holds as the Russian hits into the top of the net.
- - Sharapova 2-0 – Kerber replies, or more Sharapova starts making unforced errors, but a disguised drop shot from the Russian helps bring the game back to deuce. Deuce two, deuce three...a good idea to get Maria moving around the court – the weakest part of her game – and Kerber does so there with the drop shot. She leaves the next shot which drops in though for deuce four. Now break point Sharapova, now deuce five! A lovely whipped forehand up the line from Kerber...aaaggghhhh! Deuce seven!...
- - Sharapova 2-0 – Maria starts strongly, breaking the Kerber serve to love in next to no time. She follows it up by winning on her own serve to love, the German really struggling to return the serve.
- - Sharapova 0-0 – Maria’s been troubled with an ankle injury recently, she had to pull out of Brisbane. But she’s heavy favourite today against Kerber, who’s ranked 30th in the world.
|Date of Birth||18/01/1988|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|