|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Djokovic was in pretty decent shape when winning his first match since his victory over Rafa Nadal in the Australian Open final. He didn't have to be at his best to defeat Stebe and go through to the second round in Dubai, though the young German showed in glimpses that he has plenty of potential.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 6-2 STEBE - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Djokovic eases his way through to the next round with a comfortable hold. Stebe offers little resistance when the favourite secures three match points and Djokovic takes the second with an ace.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 5-2 STEBE - BREAK! Lovely work at the net from Stebe as he clings on and then forces Djokovic into a misjudged lob. He then goes long for 30-15 and puts a backhand wide for 30-30. Another mistake gives Djokovic break point and then the Serb wraps up the break when his opponent goes beyond the baseline once again with a ground stroke.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 4-2 STEBE - Looking for an immediate response, Stebe opens up a 30-0 lead on the Djokovic serve but a punchy volley from the Serb brings him back into the game. Stebe twice finds the net as Djokovic holds.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 3-2 STEBE - BREAK! Djokovic looks full of intent and a venomous sliced background forces Stebe to find the net and go 30-15 down on his serve. Djokovic then benefits from a very fortunate net cord and earns a break point. Stebe responds with a glorious backhand shot but Djokovic carves out another break point and this time takes it.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 2-2 STEBE - The German hasn't had a lot of joy on the Djokovic serve today but a wonderful backhand down the line sees him bring it back to 30-30. Stebe then produces a fine return to get to deuce and pins Djokovic back to earn a break point. However, Djokovic's class shows and Stebe can only hit the net after a wonderful shot from the number one.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 1-2 STEBE - Stebe has really settled into a rhythm now and Djokovic looks exasperated when finding the net to give his opponent a 30-0 lead. A huge forehand from Djokovic brings him back into the game but Stebe holds his own in the next rally and finishes off with a fine overhead backhand volley. The German holds when Djokovic finds the net again.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 1-1 STEBE - Djokovic responds with a comprehensive service game of his own, although he does put one smash too close to the German. Stebe pumps a return into the net as the Serb holds to love.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 0-1 STEBE - An accomplished start to the second set for the German, who has performed pretty well since losing his serve early on in the first set. He holds to love when Djokovic sends his return out.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-4 STEBE - SET! Stebe works Djokovic on his backhand to level at 15-15 before the Serbian produces a curious shot that floats long. Djokovic clips the line with a huge forehard and, after an error from the German on the next point, allows him back in for deuce when finding the net. A second ace sets up a second set point and this time he converts when Stebe's return is long.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-4 STEBE - Djokovic is guilty of a poor volley when cushioning a seemingly easy shot into the net as Stebe opens up a 30-15 lead. The German capitalises to hold when Djokovic's cross court forehand flies out of play. He needs to conjure up a break from somewhere now though.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-3 STEBE - The world number 72 is clinging on admirably on a number of rallies but, obviously, just doesn't have the quality of his opponent. A firm forehand puts Stebe on the back foot before Djokovic holds to 15 courtesy of a lovely backhand that dips nastily into the German's feet.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-3 STEBE - The German loses the first point following a pretty poor appeal and is then undone by a ferocious backhand from Djokovic. It is then the number one's turn to challenge, this time rightly as the serve did in fact land long, but Stebe responds before Djokovic takes it to deuce with a deft volley at the net. Stebe whacks in a big serve to hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 STEBE - Comprehensive stuff from Djokovic as he holds to love. The Serb finishes the set with a thumping backhand that leaves Stebe with no chance.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-2 STEBE - Stebe quickly opens up a 30-0 lead but Djokovic then punishes a meek second serve with a deep backhand and follows up with another dominant point. Another second serve is exploited by Djokovic for a break point but he then slices his return into the net for deuce. Another break point arrives with a glorious backhand volley on the stretch but Stebe responds and then holds with a lovely forehand down the line.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-1 STEBE - A stunning double-handed backhand in the air from Stebe gives him a look-in on the Djokovic serve and he opens up a 0-30 lead when his opponent goes long. A mammoth rally then ensues before the Serb puts an accomplished volley away. A big serve brings it back to 303-30 but then Stebe pulls out an emphatic cross-court backhand to earn his first break point. We go to deuce twice before Djokovic holds.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 STEBE - Better from the German. He takes a 40-15 lead when Djokovic fires a forehand shot long but the Serb then pulls out a wonderful backhand return down the line on the second serve. Stebe closes out his first game with a punchy backhand stroke that finds the corner and forces Djokovic to hit his shot out.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-0 STEBE - Djokovic looks a touch rusty in his first service game though he opens up a 30-15 lead easily enough when his opponent fires a slice into the bottom of the net. Stebe then executes a lovely passing shot to pull it back to 40-30 but the Serb's next serve is unreturnable.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 STEBE - BREAK! Stebe, decked out in a retro bandana and all-white kit, suffers from nerves in the opening points and a double fault gives Djokovic a 15-30 lead, before a brilliant rally is ended when the German his a lob too long. Stebe pulls a point back when hammering a volley right into the corner and an ace brings it to deuce. Two routine points give Novak the break though.
15:15 - Here we go...
15:10 - The players come out on court to a warm reception and there are Serbian flags flying on centre court in anticipation of an easy win for their man. It would be ridiculous to expect anything else in all honesty.
15:05 - On Monday, Djokovic was also confirmed in his place as world number one in the new ATP rankings. No surprise there of course: he did win three of four Grand Slams last year after all.
15:00 - So how will Djokovic look today having taken a well-earned break following that five hour, 53 minute final against Nadal in Melbourne? He should enjoy a comfortable win in an arena that he loves. He has looked very relaxed in the build-up.
14:55 - Djokovic has never before played his 21-year-old opponent from Germany, who turned pro in 2010 and has won just five matches in his career. He is ranked 72nd in the world at present.
14:50 - Djokovic has not played a competitive match since that epic win over Rafa Nadal in the final of the Australian Open last month but arrives in Dubai looking for a fourth successive victory in the tournament.
14:45 - Hello and welcome to our live coverage as world number one Novak Djokovic takes on Cedrik-Marcel Stebe in the first round at ATP Dubai.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||09/10/1990|