|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up Federer will face Mikhail Youzhny in the quarter-finals. The Swiss is 11-0 against the Russian. Yikes! ATP Dubai drawsheet
- - FEDERER 7-5 6-3 GAME SET AND MATCH FEDERER! Another tasty rally, not quite hitting the heights of the last one but the same result as Lopez nets. Now three match points as Fed delivers a cool serve, and he takes them with a serve-volley. 10th win in a row over Lopez, who played his part but was outclassed in the end.
- - FEDERER 7-5 5-3 Point of the year to start this game – both men with lobs, volleys, runs, volleys, more lobs and finally Lopez nets his volley at net! The crowd loved that!
- - FEDERER 7-5 5-3 BREAK! Fed thinks about challenging but declines. A groan of anger from Lopez though as, after Fed manages to work the next rally down the middle, the Spaniard flicks it long. Fed overhits a return though, it was a short second serve too and plump for the kill. Fed bites back though and it’s break point as Lopez inexplicably hits a backhand up in the air and long! And, after Fed slices a return in, Lopez with a poor approach shot into the net and it’s Fed serving for the match.
- - FEDERER 7-5 4-3 Federer responds with some lovely serving and, at 30-0 and with Lopez able to return, he kills the point with a classy backhand wide. And he holds with an untouchable.
- - FEDERER 7-5 3-3 No problems for Lopez to hold though, as he bombards Federer and wastes no time at all.
- - FEDERER 7-5 3-2 Lopez should have levelled at 15-15 but backed off at a crucial point: it’s soon 30-15 though as Fed nets after a decent return. Lopez cannot return the next serve though and Fed proceeds to hold with an untouchable serve.
- - FEDERER 7-5 2-2 Lopez puts in by far his best service game, chucking in some aces and holding to love with one down the middle. That should boost his confidence.
- - FEDERER 7-5 2-1 Fed kicks off with a vicious first serve and, after needlessly dropping a point, proceeds to dominate the game, holding to 15 as Lopez backhands wildly off court.
- - FEDERER 7-5 1-1 A straightforward hold for Lopez, finally, as he puts in some strong first serves this time and keeps Federer at bay.
- - FEDERER 7-5 1-0 Terrible miss from Federer to start off his first service game of the second set. Gasps from the crowd. He makes amends with a smart serve volley, then blasts in some heavy deliveries that Lopez does not touch. Hold.
- - FEDERER 7-5 SET! An unforced error from Lopez to start this game as he spoons it well long from the baseline after a so-so Fed return. Level as Fed weakly nets another poor second-serve return. They trade blows to 30-30 before Lopez challenges the call that his first serve – that Fed barely got to – was long. It was. And then Fed wins the next point as Lopez poorly opens a forehand well wide from a good position – a fourth set point for Federer. TAKEN! Angled return from Fed sees Lopez net!
- - FEDERER 6-5 Federer holds serve with less fuss, dropping just the one point in around a minute of play, meaning Lopez must again hang on to force a tie-break.
- - FEDERER 5-5 Lopez again is pegged back to deuce as Lopez can just watch as Fed’s forehand pass kisses the baseline. Fed is doing better off first serve, weirdly. But then he smacks a return well wide and it’s advantage Lopez. Finally, after saving three set points and spurning five game points of his own, Lopez holds with a 90s-style serve-volley. About 15 minutes by my estimation...
- FEDERER 5-4 At deuce again Lopez gets his slice wrong, long and a third set point to Federer! First serve into net but the second has some serious power, very brave, and Fed nets the return. Deuce. Advantage Lopez after another fine serve, but the next point sees him a touch cagey with his forehand, Fed bullying him before the Spaniard nets. Deuce once more. Game point Lopez again but Fed returns with a killer backhand return when it seemed he was beaten! I’m not timing this game, 10 mins?
- FEDERER 5-4 The first set point is eaten up with an ace down the middle, the second with one wide. Excellent serving under pressure from Lopez. Deuce. Then Fed spins a return well wide, advantage Lopez; he should hold as Fed’s next return lays up a smash with the Swiss stranded, but Lopez nets it! Shocker! Deuce again. Lopez does better next time though as he completes his volley. A long rally follows, which Fed takes from the baseline as he works it down the middle, Lopez eventually snapping.
- - FEDERER 5-4 Fed takes an early lead as Lopez shanks one into the net. Then a lovely clean Fed forehand on return instigates a rally that Lopez is always struggling to keep pace with as the Swiss kills a cool backhand volley at net for 0-30! Second serve now for Lopez, but a poor backhand return from Fed lands long. But then, after Fed has to race around at deep with Lopez seeming in control at the net, his backhand pass catches Lopez out, who volleys into net! Two set points!
- - FEDERER 5-4 Sixth ace du jour for Fed as hawkeye shows it just clipped the baseline; easy hold, 5-4, Lopez serves to stay in the set.
- - FEDERER 4-4 Fed gets his backhand pass right this time - or rather Lopez gets his approach all wrong, leaving a winner-sized gap down the line. Fine serve though as Lopez draws level. Fed senses an opportunity though, as he sticks with Lopez before a great second serve puts the Spaniard 40-30 up. Then another fine second serve which Fed returns to net. 4-4. More tiebreaks a la Madrid 2011?
- - FEDERER 4-3 This time Federer holds fairly comfortably, one stray shot aside, as he clips a fine forehand volley into the corner, Lopez mis-hitting into the stands.
- - FEDERER 3-3 Lopez drops a point but blasts back into the lead after Federer misplaces his backhand pass, which could have put him in a commanding position. Good hold for Lopez in the end as he grinds Fed down at the baseline, the Swiss losing his cool for once and smashing it well long.
- - FEDERER 3-2 Great half-volley from Fed after Lopez sunk a sweet return. The Spaniard grins knowing that shot should have put him 30-0 up. As it stands, Fed brings up a serve-volley-smash combo that puts him 30-15 up. Fed is toiling in this service game for some reason and he drops a second point but holds with a backhand volley after his serve left Lopez stranded deep.
- - FEDERER 2-2 Lopez responds in kind, blasting himself into a 40-0 lead as Fed looks on wryly. But then, on second serve, Fed surprisingly moves into the forehand, catching Lopez out, who nets. He holds to 15 with an ace out wide though.
- - FEDERER 2-1 After that unsteady opening service game, Fed brings out his best play to boom into a 40-0 lead. Lopez can’t touch him: Fed holds to love when, after the Spaniard manages to return, the Swiss glides to net to backhand volley it away.
- - FEDERER 1-1 Lefty Lopez begins his evening’s serving with a double fault. On second serve once more, he bravely fizzes one a touch too quick for Fed, who spoons his return well long. And another strong serve puts the Spaniard in charge, following that with a brilliant outspinning ace down the middle. Lopez holds to 15 as Fed’s next return is wide from the backhand.
- - FEDERER 1-0 Fed on serve to begin with. An unsteady start is put to bed by an ace; but Fed nets weakly from the baseline and it's 30-30. Lopez returns nicely but Fed springs away a couple of tasty forehands, the latter a winner. And he holds with an unreturnable serve.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: 9-0 to Fed. No surprises there, with the Swiss's last win on clay at Roland Garros; Lopez has taken a few sets off Fed in the last, and their clash at the Madrid Masters last year was pretty tight with each set going to a TB: 7-6(13), 6-7(1), 7-6(7)
- - Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of the second-round clash between Roger Federer and Feliciano Lopez in Dubai.
|Date of Birth||20/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|