|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- What a stunning tie-break to cap off an intriguing battle. Raonic has shown plenty of top ten promise this week but Ferrer marches into his forth Barcelona final thanks to a typically battling and complete performance.
- - 7-6 - Ferrer maintains his positive body language and muscles a couple of errors out of his opponent for 3-3 at the changeover. The agility of Raonic is superb as he leaps for a volley, stretching his 6'5 frame to the limit and levels 4-4. Ferrer then hustles and repels the attacks. His last ditch effort clips the line and chalks up 5-4. An immense forehand cross court winner on the run from Raonic delays the loss as Ferrer pokes a beautiful pass down the line and that't it!
- - 6-6 - Ferrer rolls into a 30-0 lead after a sensational backhand winner down the line. He cruises into control with some alert net play. Raonic dumps a short forehand into the net when on the slide which signals the second tie-break of this intriguing encounter.
- - 5-6 - Fantastic hold by the Canadian. Ferrer forces deuce but Raonic crashes down big serves and finds the right time to approach the net and minimise Ferrer's time on the ball. He's not all about power- Raonic is a smart player with great tactical awareness.
- - 5-5 - Ferrer holds once again. Raonic definitely needs to attack the Ferrer serve more. He's an aggressive player but the return is too easy for Ferrer to dictate the point from.
- - 4-5 - Just as you think Raonic is going to slide away he brings down some more huge shots. He's grinding with Ferrer and managing to halt the eager Spaniard.
- - 4-4 - In typical fashion Ferrer responds with dogged defence but is still forcing Raonic into errors.
- - 3-4 - Depsite his frustrations Raonic holds just about- relying on the big guns of the serve and forehand.
- - 3-3 - Raonic is becoming incrementally frustrated by missing groundstrokes but Ferrer keeps persisting. A fine drop shots hands him 40-0 and he holds to keep the pressure on his opponent.
- - 2-3 - Massive serving from Raonic leads to a perfect hold to love.
- - 2-2 - A combination of superb winners and over-hit groundstrokes present Ferrer with a 40-15 and he draws the set level with minimal effort.
- - 1-2 - A strange mix of a double and ace for 15-15 before a smart approach enables raonic to volley away for 30-15. Two more huge serves give Raonic some breathing space to hold.
- - 1-1 - Ferrer leads 40-15 following some neat and tidy tennis but Raonic storms back with some heavy hitting to deuce. The 21 year old goes inches wide with an inside out forehand and then hits the net for Ferrer to easily hold.
- - 0-1 -Raonic serves to start the second and some sublime touches at the net give him 15-0. However a couple of dodgy shots land him 15-30 down. A forehand winner eases the troubles and he pounces on a drifted shot to volley 40-30 up. Raonic has to rely on his instincts to keep Ferrer at bay at the net and holds.
- - 7-6 - Some tricky rallies culminate in two missed volleys from Raonic, with Ferrer showing his quality when he has a target and races to a 4-0 lead. The youngster is getting increasingly frustrated as he dumps a backhand into the net for 5-0. An audacious forehand on the run drops at the feet of his tall opponent at the net and hands Ferrer six set points. A rare Ferrer double fault leads to 6-2 but succeeds on his seventh set point to lead.
- - 6-6 - A wild miss from Raonic and superb pass from Ferrer lead to 0-30. A huge serve and smart hooked forehand draw it level to 30 all but another wild forehand error lands the Canadian in trouble. A couple of aces and impressive one-two gives us a tie-break.
- - 6-5 - In contrast some terrific net play and heavy shots make sure Ferrer holds to love. Can Raonic hold for a tie-break?
- - 5-5 - The 30 year old senses an opportunity, combining great length and accurate groundstrokes to frustrate Raonic, who forces shots wide and into the net to 0-40. Raonic replies with a couple of remarkable shots and recovers to deuce. Missing his first serve lands Raonic in trouble in a succession of deuces but but an ace rounds off a turbulent hold for the 11th seed.
- - 5-4 - The world number six is struggling in the corner to corner rallies as Raonic forces to issue to lead 15-30 with a brilliant backhand down the line. Some ridiculous defence by Ferrer leads to 40-30 but Raonic pounds a forehand winner for deuce again. Utilising his experience though, Ferrer holds from deuce for the third time in a row.
- - 4-4 - Booming serves and a couple of winners hand the Canadian 40-0 before a double fault halts his progress. Ferrer then capitalises on a let cord to pass Raonic to make it deuce. Raonic stutters on a routine groundstroke and Ferrer his first break point of the day but a huge hooked forehand sends it back to deuce. Raonic’s passes his first big test as two massive shots draw it level again.
- - 4-3 - The Canadian is returning brilliantly and a mix good depth on the groundstrokes gives him 15-30. Ferrer responds by approaching the net but Raonic hooks a passing winner to earn two more break points. The Spaniard forces a succession of four errors from Raonic to survive again.
- - 3-3 - Raonic’s forehand power is causing problems for Ferrer as two massive winners chalk up 30-0. He then casually fires down two consecutive aces to draw level.
- - 3-2 - Some fierce groundstrokes earn Raonic the first break point today with a deep return forcing Ferrer to net. It goes to deuce after another gruelling rally forces Raonic to miss a backhand. Line-to-line groundstrokes give Raonic the advantage but Ferrer’s manages to survive the scare, forcing the errors out of the world number 25.
- - 2-2 - An ace and big forehand gives Raonic the initiative before a superb drive volley hands him 40-15. Ferrer’s incessant rallying draws back one point but Raonic overpowers for the hold.
- - 2-1 - Ferrer is serving equally well holding to love with consummate ease. His accuracy on the serve is a very underrated part of his game.
- - 1-1 - Raonic starts with an ace and a big one-two behind Ferrer. A couple of hug groundstrokes followed by another ace, hands Raonic his first game. Huge serving!
- - FERRER 1-0 - A mammoth first point, displaying Ferrer’s superb consistency, forces a Raonic error. The third seed moves to 40-15 with a magical backhand passing shot down the line and serves out the opening game easily.
- Here we go. Ferrer gets us under way. Raonic is also looking for his first professional clay final.
- Completing our line-up later is King of Clay Rafael Nadal against Fernando Verdasco. Meaning there are three Spaniards at the Barcelona Open for the second year in a row, which guarantees a Spanish finalist for the 16th straight year.
- David Ferrer is appearing the semi-finals here for the sixth straight year. Demonstrates how tough he is to beat on the clay.
- The players are out for the warm up on an overcast Pista Central court in Barcelona.
- Meanwhile David Ferrer had to dig deep to topple his fellow Spaniard Feliciano Lopez in a 6-7, 7-6, 6-3 win.
- Raonic served big yesterday against Andy Murray during his 6-4, 7-6 victory. The Canadian hit 14 aces and had an 84% 1st serve win ratio.
- The number two Spaniard has beaten 21 year old Milos Raonic in all three of their previous meetings however the giant Canadian has made an impressive start to 2012.
- Welcome to live updates of the ATP Barcelona Open Quarter-Finals. First up we have world number six David Ferrer against Andy Murray’s conqueror Milos Raonic.
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|
|Date of Birth||27/12/1990|