|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 6-2 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Sharapova eventually wins through, breaking serve - her most likely way to close it out - to finally dispose of the doughty Zakopalova. The second seed is through in unconvincing fashion, and she will next take on either Arantxa Rus or Kaia Kanepi in the quarter-finals. Drawsheet
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 5-2 - BREAK! Zakopalova hits back once more with another improbable break, and Sharapova simply cannot put this game to bed! Again, she fails to serve out.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 5-1 - BREAK! Sharapova is roaring towards victory now as she breaks in clinical fashion with a flurry of powerful groundstrokes, and she is now just a service game from victory!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 4-1 - Sharapova holds serve once more to extend her lead in this third set, and the second seed is going to take a lot of stopping now as she closes in on victory.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 3-1 - Sharapova gives everything in pursuit of breaking once more, but Zakopalova holds serve to get on the board in this third set. Can she now challenge Sharapova's serve?
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 3-0 - Sharapova consolidates her break of serve, and this is suddenly much better from the second seed as she moves into a commanding 3-0 lead in this third set.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 2-0 - BREAK! Sharapova breaks serve to stamp her authority on the third set, but anyone who has been following this match will know that breaks of serve are pretty insignificant at the moment. Can she consolidate it?
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 1-0 - Sharapova gets off to a confident start in the third set as she holds serve with a clench of the first to celebrate taking the game. It's tough going for her now.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-7 - SET! The second seed rather inexplicably loses the second set as she loses her composure in the tie-break, and she should be very disappointed with her inability to serve out for the match with numerous opportunities, while bickering with the umpire.
- - STAT: Incidentally, that is 27 breaks of serve from 32 games played in this match. Absurd statistics.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-6 - BREAK! Yet again, Sharapova is unable to hold serve, and she again wastes the opportunity to close out the match. Zakopalova should be praised for her spirit, and this is into a tie-break.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 6-5 - BREAK! Sharapova breaks once more, and it's a crazy situation with neither player able to hold serve or even look like doing so!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 5-5 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks serve to prevent Sharapova from serving out for the match, and this just continues to go from one end to the other with neither player able to serve effectively.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 5-4 - Zakopalova reduces the deficit with a gutsy hold, and Sharapova now has to serve out for the match under real pressure. Can Zakopalova produce something?
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 5-3 - Sharapova holds serve to move to within a game of taking the match, and Zakopalova will need to find something special to turn this match around now.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 4-3 - BREAK! It's normal service restored as both players exchange breaks of serve, and Sharapova capitalises on some poor deliveries from Zakopalova to get in front once more!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 3-3 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks back once more, and she's on terms in this second set as Sharapova again wavers and finds her advantage eroded.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 3-2 - Zakopalova holds serve as she finds three precise first serves, and Sharapova is unable to challenge on this occasion as her opponent reduces the deficit.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 3-1 - Sharapova consolidates her break of serve with ease, and that's remarkable given how much both players have struggled throughout on serve.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 2-1 - BREAK! Sharapova again breaks serve, and the Russian is thriving on return, hammering groundstrokes from the back of the court. Why are this pair struggling on serve so much?
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 1-1 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks back immediately, and Sharapova continues to falter on serve, struggling to get any momentum or rhythm.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 1-0 - BREAK! Sharapova breaks at the start of the second set as Zakopalova errs slightly on serve, and is ruthlessly punished once more! Can Sharapova consolidate now?
- - SHARAPOVA 6-4 - SET! Sharapova finally manages to find some conviction on serve and she closes out the opening set with a gutsy hold under real pressure! The second seed can now kick on into the second.
- - SHARAPOVA 5-4 - Zakopalova holds serve to consolidate her latest break, and Sharapova is furious with herself. She still has the opportunity to serve out for the opening set, but that means very little in the context of this match!
- - SHARAPOVA 5-3 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks again, and this is getting a bit ridiculous with both players finding it almost impossible to take control of their service games.
- - SHARAPOVA 5-2 - BREAK! Sharapova breaks again, and neither player is looking at all convincing on serve as Zakopalova falters badly and only finds two first serves with Sharapova capitalising.
- - SHARAPOVA 4-2 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks again, and Sharapova is also struggling to muster any confidence or rhythm on serve. Both players are thriving on return and Zakopalova does it again!
- - SHARAPOVA 4-1 - BREAK! Sharapova breaks once more to open up a very convincing lead in this opening set, and Zakopalova is really struggling to get a foothold after her early break.
- - SHARAPOVA 3-1 - Finally, Sharapova holds serve and manages to consolidate her latest break, and opens up a commanding lead in this opening set. Can Zakopalova hit back?
- - SHARAPOVA 2-1 - BREAK! Sharapova stamps her authority on the match once more as she breaks back, and neither player is managing to serve with any confidence or conviction.
- - SHARAPOVA 1-1 - BREAK! Zakopalova breaks straight back as Sharapova wavers on serve, and the second seed sees her advantage swiftly erased as her serve is broken!
- - SHARAPOVA 1-0 - BREAK! Sharapova bludgeons two screaming forehands down the line, and Zakopalova is quickly forced to save a break point! But she cannot prevent Sharapova taking control and breaking immediately!
- - Apologies for the fact that Zakopalova is still referred to as Koukalova on the live page. Technical issue. Hopefully she will not be as inconsistent as we have been!
- - Second seed Maria Sharapova takes on Klara Zakopalova of the Czech Republic next up on Philippe Chatrier.
|Date of Birth||24/02/1982|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|