|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3) 6-3 – Berdych breaks Almagro again and seals his path into the quarter-finals, where he will play either Richard Gasquet or Andy Murray.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3) 5-3 – The world number seven consolidates his break, and is on the verge of taking this match. Almagro will have to dig deep now.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)4-3 – BREAK! Berdych races into a 0-40 lead, and converts the first of his three break points after Almagro hits a shot just too long. The umpire is out of his chair and confirms it was out, and it's advantage Berdych!
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)3-3 – Another service game which is made a bit of a struggle, but Berdych comes through unscathed.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3) 2-3 – Almagro is forced to deuce by Berdych but finally gets the hold. The fact game in a way which has not been a relative cruise for the server.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)2-2 – Still going with serve on Court Pietrangeli. Berdych's serve is so formidable when he catches it right, even on clay.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)1-2 – Almagro holds once again. He is looking to win two on the spin against Berdych for the first time and take their overall head-to-head to 5-4.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)1-1 – The big-serving Czech is still dominant on his own serve as he holds again. This set looks destined for another breaker at the moment.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3)0-1 – We continue on serve, as we have been since the early stages of the first set, as Almagro looks unfazed in holding to get the second underway.
- - The court is getting a heavy sprinkling of water as we await the start of the second set. Dust from the surface is flying around in the strong winds.
- - BERDYCH 7-6(3) – SET! Berdych gets the early double-break for a 3-0 lead. The conditions appear to be affecting Almagro a lot more than his more powerful opponent. The Spaniard goes for a classy lob that is just carried long by the wind for 6-1. Almagro claws back three points but then hits long and Berdych takes the set!
- - BERDYCH 6-6 – Almagro hits his fifth ace of the set, but he makes hard work of claiming another hold and forcing the tie-break.
- - BERDYCH 6-5 - Berdych goes 30-0 up but Almagro responds by swiping a forehand across court. The Spaniard draws level but is then beaten by a solid smash from Berdych. He takes out his frustration with a forehand down the line and we're at deuce. Three times Berdych gets advantage and three times he spurns it. Almagro then does the same. We get to deuce eight, where Berdych double faults. Finally, the Czech manages to hold. Thank goodness.
- - BERDYCH 5-5 - Almagro hits back with a love service via some textbook serve and volley and a couple of serves that Berdych cannot return.
- - BERDYCH 5-4 - Berdych looks set for a simple love game at 40-0 but errors then creep in... three of them, to be exact. He then goes advantage down after hitting into the net, before regaining his composure to push his opponent back and claim a hold. Relieved about it too, no doubt.
- - BERDYCH 4-4 - Almagro sticking in there despite a relatively low first-serve percentage of 50% (compared with 64) and only 38% of second-serve points won (versus 56). He needs the second serve to hold here - prior to the game it was down at 20%.
- - BERDYCH 4-3 - Almagro sends Berdych to the far corner with a majestic backhand then, when the ball comes back, he swipes another down the line to go 15-40 up. Berdych fights back to deuce however and easily holds from there - great chance missed by the Spaniard.
- - BERDYCH 3-3 - Almagro improves his first service, which stood at a woeful 37% prior to this game, but is nevertheless taken to deuce; at advantage down Berdych sweeps back a clinical passing shot, but the resistance is futile.
- - BERDYCH 3-2 - Berdych, watched by his lovely girlfriend Ester Satorova, moves back ahead. He double faults for a third time at 40-15 up, but does not need to go to deuce.
- - BERDYCH 2-2 - On serve as Spaniard Almagro powers to a hold. The Czech holds a 5-3 record over him, with their last meeting coming on the Indian Wells hardcourts in March: Almagro won 6-4 6-0.
- - BERDYCH 2-1 - BREAK BACK - Better from Almagro to pin Berdych to the corners. On break point he lets his rival off the hook a couple of times, but eventually finds one last flat forehand to the corner which Berdych cannot get back.
- - BERDYCH 2-0 - BREAK - Well played Berdych - after claiming two break points, he converts the second of them with some stout strokeplay as Almagro seeks to dominate the rally, forcing a mistake out of his opponent. It was not the first one in that game.
- - BERDYCH 1-0 - Almagro wins the first point of the day, but Berdych gets into his stride quickly from the baseline to secure the hold.
- - Berdych to serve first. He gave Federer a scare in the Madrid final. Federer claims third Madrid title
- - The players are out on court and knocking up in bright sunshine. Seventh seed Berdych beat Lukasz Kubot in the second round, while 12th seed Almagro overcame Sam Querrey. Round-up
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|
|Date of Birth||21/08/1985|