|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up for Ferrer is the winner of Rafael Nadal and Tomas Berdych's match, which is up next. Rome drawsheet
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 6-3 MATCH! Serving for the match but Gasquet pegs him back to 15-15 with an aggressive return and a cool sweeping forehand pass, disguised with class. But an error from the Frenchman, netting when he looked to pound a forehand away, then a serve and pass as Gasquet guessed wrong and it's double match point. Taken as Gasquet nets a backhand.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 5-3 BREAK Ferrer exploits Gasquet's hesitance while serving into the sun, beating him with a selection of fierce returns, and it's triple break point! Off second serve and he wins it with a lovely dipping forehand into the corner as Gasquet approached the net! Ferrer serving for the match.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 4-3 Ferrer kicks off with a double, and Gasquet has a sniff. But he backhands weakly after a decent return and it's level. Ferrer pulls away and holds with relative ease after that early scare, smashing a volley into space after dominating the rally.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 3-3 Wicked serve to wide from Gasquet and it's 40-15. He's responded well in this service game, the match was slipping away from him. 40-30 now as Ferrer's return has too much for the Frenchman, who holds with his next effort though.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 3-2 Ferrer holds to love in no time as Gasquet flounders every time.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 2-2 A break point for Ferrer again as Gasquet seems to have lost momentum somewhat. But Ferrer nets and it's deuce. Fine serve next, advantage Gasquet, and he holds with another.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 2-1 Ferrer zips 40-0 up as Gasquet has no answer to his serve. A second serve gives him a sniff though but Ferrer still manages to dominate from the baseline and passes the Frenchman for a love hold.
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 1-1 BREAK Two break-back points for Ferrer though as he uses his excellent returning ability to great effect! Gasquet hauls one back with a pass that Ferrer can only spin wide. Second serve needed for Gasquet, it's weak and Ferrer returns with interest, the Frenchman skidding his backhand long! Break back it is!
- - FERRER 7-6(4) 0-1 BREAK Costume changes for these lads, Ferrer now in blue and Gasquet in red. A break point for Gasquet though and he takes it with a superb return that leaves Ferrer sprawling!
- - FERRER 7-6 (7-4) SET Gasquet tries to send the ball up the line on the Ferrer second serve but he waits until after the return, meaning the Spaniard is able to reach it with a winner. Set point - taken as Ferrer pings a forehand into the corner after a short rally. Set Ferrer.
- - FERRER 6-6 (5-4) A slip from Ferrer and Gasquet has a mini-break. A delay changing ends now as Gasquet needs to change his racquet maybe? No. Not sure what that was about. Anyway Ferrer overhauls that mini-break and it's back to 4-4. Something rattled Gasquet there. A double-hander from Ferrer forces a defensive shot from Gasquet and Ferrer sinks the winner. Now he has the mini-break.
- - FERRER 6-6 (2-2) Great defensive shot from Ferrer saves a mini-break, Gasquet only able to spoon into net. Oh and then a superb rally which sees Gasquet seemingly beat Ferrer with a lob-volley, but with his back turned the Spaniard spins into a cool backhand down the line. Bravo. But an error from Ferrer sees the advantage nullified.
- - FERRER 6-6 The Spaniard with a much calmer service game, Gasquet nowhere near him, as he takes the first set to a tiebreak.
- - FERRER 5-6 Some more superb groundstrokes on this rally as Ferrer takes charge, knocking it too far wide for Gasquet to make meaningful contact. 30-30, the Frenchman on serve, the next of which is too good for Ferrer. Gasquet holds.
- - FERRER 5-5 The Spaniard is serving to stay in the first set. A very long rally ensues, which Gasquet loses by overhitting a backhand. Both men making errors at this key stage but Ferrer manages to hold as Gasquet nets following a very entertaining rally, both men scuttling from side to side but Ferrer finding some extra pace.
- - FERRER 4-5 Wonderful forehand pass with outrageous pace from Gasquet. He was stretching into it, Ferrer no chance. Gasquet seems to have Ferrer on the back foot now but he undercooks a drop shot this time and it's 40-30. He holds as Ferrer nets the next return, good serve.
- - FERRER 4-4 BREAK Frustration for Ferrer as he overhits a backhand that he should have buried with Gasquet stranded. 15-30. Two break points now after another error from the Spaniard! He eats one back with a serve-volley of old, now a rally and Gasquet wins it as Ferrer stays too deep, allowing the Frenchman to backhand a volley into space! Break back!
- - FERRER 4-3 Best point of the match as both men use the full width and depth of the court, Ferrer winning the point with a sweeping forehand. But a lovely Gasquet backhand forces Ferrer wide, allowing the Frenchman to sink his volley with ease. And a big serve out wide is returned by Ferrer but Gasquet has moved early and softly backhands it down the line. And he holds as Ferrer nets.
- - FERRER 4-2 Gasquet with a wonderful backhand volley on the move that Ferrer can only spoon into his own face. 15-15. And now 30-30 as Ferrer misses a chance to move to game point with a mis-hit. He still holds though, a tasty serve that Gasquet can't make anything of and another rally that Ferrer inevitably takes.
- - FERRER 3-2 BREAK Superb if fortunate shot for Ferrer to bring up 30-30, meeting a near-perfect Gasquet drop-shot with a sliding half-volley that clips the net and lands just beyond the Frenchman! They trade blows with big shots up the line and, after a gruelling rally Gasquet nets for break point! TAKEN! Fine soft volley after bullying Gasquet with his ground strokes on another rally.
- - FERRER 2-2 Ferrer overhits a volley after soft hands from Gasquet at the net. He completes the next one after stretching the Frenchman with a selection of forehands from deep. A couple of errors as Ferrer keeps coming short, but he finally holds as Gasquet fails to return.
- - FERRER 1-2 I say that and then Gasquet puts in some sharp first serves and holds to love.
- - FERRER 1-1 The Spaniard holds as Gasquet backhands long. As in the previous game, the server dropped a couple of points. I can see this being long-ish as both men like to stroke it about from deep.
- - FERRER 0-1 Gasquet to serve first and some crisp backhanding at the baseline puts him 40-15 up. Then they have to replay the point after an incorrect line call. Some nice ground strokes from both men and a booming forehand pass from Ferrer dips past Gasquet. But the Frenchman holds as Ferrer gets caught short at the net, Gasquet lofting it past him.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: Ferrer easily leads this 6-1, even thought they have only played once on clay, Ferrer's preferred surface. Gasquet's last win was in 2008 in Toronto, their last match was a straight-sets win for Ferrer at the 2012 Aussie Open.
- - Hello and welcome to our LIVE coverage of this Rome Masters quarter-final between Richard Gasquet and David Ferrer.
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|
|Date of Birth||18/06/1986|