|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 7-6 - MATCH - Ferrer ultimately overcomes three match points before making good on his own for 10-8 in the tie-break and the victory in an epic last-16 battle!
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 6-6 - Indeed Almagro starts strong and the two switch sides with the 11th seed 4-2 ahead, but Ferrer unleashes a phenomenal cross-court return to pull one back. A good return puts Almagro 5-3 up before he nets for 5-4 and Ferrer holds for 5-5. Almagro's ace for 6-5 is again pegged back by Ferrer's backhand and it's really going to the wire...
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 6-6 - Again Almagro holds to 15 and the crowd in Madrid show their appreciation for this epic contest as we reach the deciding tie-break. Almagro will want to avoid the falling apart which handed Ferrer the opening set in a tie-break scenario.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 6-5 - Almagro's break point count is now at six, but again Ferrer is able to hold his serve and hand himself an opportunity to win the match with a break of his own.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 5-5 - Almagro remains strong in serve and game-15 leaves us dead set after ten in the third and final set.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 5-4 - Ferrer can now take the set if he is able to break Almagro's serve in the next game.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 4-3 - Almagro misses out on another break point, and Ferrer edges ahead once more from deuce. We are now at the stage where one break of serve will be vital.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 3-3 - Ferrer gives Almagro a taste of his own backhand medicine to secure a double break point, only for his compatriot to fight back to deuce including a quality rally on the second of the two points. An ace is negated by a double-fault, but Almagro's serve powers him to 3-3 on the second advantage.
- FERRER 7-6 3-6 3-2 - Almagro is unable to make good on a break point and the two head to deuce once again. The 11th seed has another chance from advantage but it's ultimately Ferrer who holds on once more.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 2-2 - Epic fourth game sees Almagro just about cling onto his serve from deuce. Compelling stuff though, and we could be on for an epic finale.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 2-1 - Ferrer's forehand proves too much for Almagro as the number five seed holds to 15.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 1-1 - Almagro resist some solid returns to take his own first service game of the deciding set to 30.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 1-0 - After a lengthy break ahead of this deciding set, Ferrer gets off to an assured start and holds serve for game one.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-6 - SET! Almagro does it on his serve, game-15 ties us up here and rightly so. For all of his spats and tantrums, he is replying well on the clay.
- - FERRER 7-6 3-5 - The second set will have to wait for now. Almagro is unable to make good on a set point and Ferrer holds his serve from deuce to keep this one going.
- - FERRER 7-6 2-5 - Though Ferrer initially finds more success in replying to the Almagro back-hand, the 11th seed has too much in the rallies and is on the verge of levelling in sets.
- - FERRER 7-6 2-4 - BREAK! - Almagro is looking sharper at the moment, and he finds the payoff for it with the first break of the set at an ideal time as he searches for a deciding set.
- - FERRER 7-6 2-3 - Almagro remonstrates with the umpire once more at 15-15, but again comes back into play focused enough to take the next point. And though Ferrer pulls it back again, Almagro powers his way to the next two points for 3-2.
- - FERRER 7-6 2-2 - Again, service takes its time to take control. Ferrer claims game four from 30-30.
- - FERRER 7-6 1-2 - Ferrer reponds to going behind twice by stretching Almagro into errors on his returns, and a Ferrer out followed by Almagro finding nothing but net bring the third to deuce. The back-and-forth ends there, as Almagro powers his way to another held serve on the first advantage point.
- - FERRER 7-6 1-1 - Ferrer proves as solid as his compatriot as the two remain tight.
- - FERRER 7-6 0-1 - Almagro holds his serve to open up the second set.
- - FERRER 7-6 - SET! - Nothing separates the two Spaniards before the switch of ends, but Almagro opens up a lead with the first break for 5-3. Ferrer takes a long rally to break for the first time before levelling up again at 5-5 and continuing the momentum for four points in a row, taking the first set at 7-5.
- - FERRER 6-6 - He does so with aplomb, and a pinpoint backhand caps love service. Tiebreak coming up.
- - FERRER 6-5 - Ferrer takes the eleventh game from deuce as the opening set looks odds on for a tense, back-and-forth finale. Almagro must hold his serve now to force a tiebreak.
- - FERRER 5-5 - Almagro fights back from a double set point to level up once again. The fifth seed will be frustrated by that game for sure.
- - FERRER 5-4 - The fifth seed stops the rot, holding his serve to 15. Much better from David, he wasn't showing much resistence to Almagro's fire in the last couple of games.
- - FERRER 4-4 - Almagro continues the strong play to hold serve to 30. It looked at one point that he would buckle under some early frustration, but now for the second time momentum is on his side.
- - FERRER 4-3 - BREAK! - Almagro channels his aggression for the third straight break, and his backhand leads him to the seventh game.
- - FERRER 4-2 - BREAK! - The run stops at two for Almagro, despite serving comfortably to begin the sixth game. He struggles to reply on the backhand, netting twice, as Ferrer restores a strangehold on the opening set. The 11th seed is not a happy bunny after that game.
- - FERRER 3-2 - BREAK! - And now Almagro breaks Ferrer's serve for the first time, taking the game-30 and keeping momentum going in his favour.
- - FERRER 3-1 - Almagro takes his first game of the match, utilising his serve after a see-saw start to 30-30.
- - FERRER 3-0 - After battling to deuce, Ferrer again takes control and converts his first advantage to make it three games in a row.
- - FERRER 2-0 - BREAK! - Now the roles are reversed. A triple break point for Ferrer, which he takes with the first opportunity! A break to love gives Ferrer an early edge on his compatriot.
- - FERRER 1-0 - The fifth seed is forced to fight back from a triple break point, but he does just that and holds his serve from deuce.
- - And we are underway between Almagro and Ferrer.
- - Another all-Spain last-16 clash, featuring Nicolas Almagro taking on David Ferrer, will be underway shortly. The players are out on court now.
|Date of Birth||21/08/1985|
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|