|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - KVITOVA 6-0 6-4 MATCH KVITOVA! Kvitova serving for the match now, and Baltacha makes a fist of it but the defending champ has too much for the Briton, holding to 30 after her serve asks too much of Baltacha in the rally. She's through, and faces Lepchenko in the last 32. Women's draw.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 5-4 Baltacha saves two match points to hold! She's pegged back to deuce by a resurgent Kvitova, who now has match point as Elena nets at a rally. Another rally follows and Baltacha shades it with a super shot to deep that Kvitova can't reach. But an unforced error, an attempted pass that she nets, brings up a second match point... She nets the return. Deuce three, from which the Briton brings out some top serves to hold. Phew.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 5-3 Baltacha doesn't break again though, Kvitova regaining her composure on serve to hold fairly easily. The Briton serving to stay in the tournament.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 4-3 Baltacha holds very comfortably as, all of a sudden, she looks the more confident player. She needs another break though.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 4-2 BREAK! Baltacha, boosted by that hold, has pegged Kvitova back to deuce and now has advantage as the Czech underhits one! And Baltacha breaks Kvitova with a super return, the Czech netting weakly! Bravo!
- - KVITOVA 6-0 4-1 Baltacha doesn't know whether to celebrate or not after holding serve, Kvitova netting a low forehand. Only the one bagel for Elena, more a snack than a full dinner.
- - KIVOTOVA 6-0 4-0 Kvitova breaks once more, and holds to 15, and now we're looking at a double bagel unfortunately.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 1-0 BREAK! Well the umpire claimed Baltacha hindered Kvitova somehow by yelping before she'd won the point! But she'd already won it effectively! And Sharapova doesn't yell? Back to deuce, it was game point remember, and after trading blows for an eternity, Kvitova finally breaks. A travesty.
- - KVITOVA 6-0 0-0 A bit of joy for Baltacha as she chucks in an ace but is pegged back to 30-30 after going long with a baseline groundstroke. To be fair Baltacha isn't playing terribly - Kvitova is just too good. Game point though, which she fluffs after giving Kvitova the runaround, trying a vicious winner when there was no need to go so much over the ball. Strong serve now, game point again... Now controversy as Baltacha wins a great point but the umpire yells stop! What was that for?
- - KVITOVA 6-0 SET! Baltacha is served a bagel for dinner as she is broken to 15 by a rampant Kvitova, although the Briton is playing quite poorly at times, a rotten lob not helping when she could have passed the Czech easily. A fine return puts her back in it, saving a set point, but Kvitova takes her second with an ace down the middle.
- - KVITOVA 5-0 BREAK! Baltacha hits a wonderful shot on the run but Kvitova wins the point. There's a challenge but the decision is upheld. Then a double-fault and it's 0-30. And Kvitova, who is on fire, breaks with ease. My.
- - KVITOVA 4-0 A wonderful forehand from Kvitova lands a millimetre out, vindicated by Hawk-Eye. She holds to 30 with a fabulous serve anyway.
- - KVITOVA 3-0 BREAK! Baltacha was on her way to hold but kind of freezes in the face of some big shots from Kvitova, who breaks again with a lovely flat backhand into space.
- - KVITOVA 2-0 BREAK! British number three Baltacha is the last remaining Brit to play a second-round match and she is broken by the defending champion at the first time of asking. Can't see this going over an hour. Kvitova defends the break although a double fault and some sloppy play did give Elena half a chance.
|Date of Birth||14/08/1983|
|Date of Birth||08/03/1990|