|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 6-3 MATCH FISH! Off second serve Fish is forced long by Ward. ACE. 15-15. The next return is long, 30-15, the next wide, two match points. And Fish takes them with a serve down the middle. Fish wins, but Ward's heroic run is over. They embrace and it's young Belgian David Goffin next. Men's draw.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 5-3 BREAK! Ward slips 0-30 behind, and in a flash his tournament is under threat. He has fought back from 0-40 twice, and he'll have to do it again as he spoons another one long. Unforced errors creeping in! A rally now, very cagey, and Fish nets. Two break points still. Ward aces but called wide - challenge... out. And Fish breaks, and he serves for the match. Looks like Ward's run may end at the death.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 4-3 Fish throws in his 25th ace to level at 15-15 after a lovely return from Ward. Fish pounds in a few tasty serves though and it's a swift hold. 4hrs 5mins.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 3-3 Relatively comfortable hold for Fish, and after that Ward chucks in his second double fault of the match. Then a wicked cross-court winner from the right puts Fish at 30-30. But he puts one wide and it's game point Ward. But they trade points - and errors - off deuce until Ward snaps out of it and crushes a sharp serve past Fish, finishing off as the American misses a lob after some cute net play.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 2-2 Ward kicks off with an ace, following that up with a killer pass that Fish greets with shock. 40-0 off second serve as Fish nets and re-ties his laces. And as Fish returns long, it's a love service game for Ward. 173rd my eye.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 2-1 Epic game. Fish should hold from 40-30 but spins one wide. Then Ward makes a boo-boo of an easy return off a soft serve, hitting air, and he makes a poor decision again to volley straight at Fish with the American at the net, Fish holding.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 1-1 Ward challenges a shout that his return was long. Fish isn't happy at how late he left it - but Ward was right, the ball was in. Very much so too. Point replayed - first serve is wide, and the second sees Fish underhit a scooped forehand into net! And 0-30 after a beautifully disguised pass after Fish thought he'd hit a winning low volley!! Another fine point is taken by Fish as he volleys into space. Serve volley and 30-30 now.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 1-1 Ward, who failed to convert break point, seems to have lost his way and goes 0-30 down after hitting it long. But off second serve the Brit bosses the next point as Fish eventually stoops low to skim it into the net. Ward is now on deuce after they trade blows, a smart volley and long from Fish as the Englishman holds. 3hrs 43 minutes.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-7 1-0 Ward picks up where he left off and has two break points! But some big serves by Fish bring it back to deuce. He holds his nerve, and his serve, to get off the mark in the deciding set.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 7-6(4) SET WARD! HEROICS FROM WARD!! He has saved match point and taken it to a fifth!! Fish nets again and Ward has three set points! Fish is on serve now, but just one winner takes it to a fifth!! Ace from Fish - but Ward challenges, and correctly! It was long! And the next one is called a fault! Double fault! A dramatic challenge from Fish - IT WAS OUT! Ward gets the set!
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-6 (4-5) What a great return from Ward, as Fish can only net his follow-up. 1-1 and a mini-break overhauled. Next return beats Fish but also the baseline. Fish then returns to net and it's level. And a great volley at the net shades Ward ahead. Level pegging all round Another great return and Fish nets the follow-up! Mini-break Ward! Great serve Fish though. Now Ward on serve, Fish nets one after a fine second serve!
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 6-6 Great chance for Ward to go 30-0 against serve but he just slices it wide. But then Fish misses a sitter and it is 30-15 Ward! Ach but Fish keeps his cool and moves to game point. But deuce as Ward athletically dives into a volley that Fish meets but only puts long. Ward is a fine athlete. Strong serve though and advantage Fish - taken at the net as he stoops into a volley after some energetic baseline play. Tie-break!!
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 5-6 He was on the brink of going out but Ward has found the form of his life and wins a third game in a row with a big serve, holing to 15. The crowd go wild. If he loses it almost doesn't matter - he now needs to channel this undoubted ability and fighting spirit into a few runs on the Tour. Clearly a top 100 player, probably a top 50 man if he hits form.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 5-5 BREAK! AND WHAT A BREAK! Fish is serving for the match but Ward goes 30-15 up as the American goes long! And now two break points, and with Fish on second serve Ward jumps for joy as the American spoons one wide!!
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 5-4 Fish fluffs a drop-shot for 40-15 but Ward double-faults. And then he fails with a drop shot of his own, almost lazy that, and it's deuce. Match point Fish now... Saved by a brilliant cross-court forehand from Ward! And advantage Ward as he shows some aggression at the net, which Fish hits. Taken, as his serve is too much for Fish.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 5-3 It just isn't going for Ward now as a wonderful scooped pass after a Fish drop shot lands a millimetre long. Ward now serving to stay at Wimbledon.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 4-3 BREAK! I spoke too soon - a resurgent Fish breaks Ward for the first time in this fourth set and this could be curtains for the Brit.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 3-3 It's staying with serve on Court One at the moment as Ward clings on to his place at Wimbledon.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 1-2 A great point with volleys, drives and reverse backhands galore, won by Fish for 30-30 on Ward's serve. Chapeau! And you'll need one in this sun... Ward holds serve in the end.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 1-1 Encouraging signs for Ward as he wins a few points but Fish does hold to 30.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 0-1 Super service game from Ward, who went 40-0 down but battles to deuce (twice) and then holds.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 6-4 SET! Three set points for Fish now as he hammers his way into a 40-0 lead. The first is clawed back, and so is the second as Ward slips a lovely return past the advancing Fish! But the American keeps his cool next serve and holds to take the third set.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 5-4 BREAK! A rotten service game for Ward, who makes all kinds of mistakes and brings up three break points for Fish with a wild volley that should have been buried past the prone American. His next serve is solid though, Fish returning long. But Ward is broken after again making a poor shot choice, firing one straight at Fish at the net with both sides gaping: Fish buries the volley and is serving for the set.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 4-4 Poor shot from Ward as he went too close to Fish when the pass was one - Fish just flicks it past him for 15-15. Then an ace from the American, who holds as Ward spins one well wide.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 3-4 Fish has found an extra gear you know, and he pressurises the Ward serve and has a break point. And he should have taken it but his double-handed pass down the line is inches wide! Ward has game point now but a terrible unforced error as he forehands to net with Fish prone. Deary me. Finally Ward does hold with a nice wide forehand that Fish can't touch.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 3-3 Ward is looking the more comfortable on serve as he holds once more, but he needs a break. Fish is, right now, fading a touch but there is a chance he could find second wind as he has done before. He does, however, hold as easily as he has done all match, to love.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 1-2 Ward has a sniff at a break after putting away some cool returns but Fish sorts himself out to hold. He may well be tiring, but it could just be a wall he'll get through. Ward follows that with a hold of his own. He's looking good.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 0-1 Ward holds with comfort. Fish is not looking as mobile now, possibly less fit after his spell out.
- - FISH 6-3 5-7 SET WARD!! Fish is serving to stay in the second set. Fantastic play by Ward to bring it back to deuce after Fish seemed to have the tie-break in his sights. Set point to Ward as he beats Fish with a cracking pass! And he takes it with a superb cross-court drive with Fish stranded at the net and Ward is level!!
- - FISH 6-3 5-6 Three break points for Fish now as Ward collapses suddenly! The first is eaten back as a great second serve can't be returned. This would be shocking if he went from two set points to flunking it. The second is also saved as Ward - who seems to lose concentration at times - finds his rhythm again. And another excellent serve out wide for deuce. Bravo. And a super hold for Ward as Fish returns long.
- - FISH 6-3 5-5 Well now, Ward bamboozles Fish with a cracking return and it's first blood. Break, and he extends this match to at least four sets. And Fish goes long, so it's 0-30! His next return is long though. The next one is good, and at the rally Fish cracks first and two set points Ward! Can he do it? Not first time as Fish aces. Nor second, as a serve-volley combo leaves Ward just short. Deuce. And Fish holds with a drop shot that a scrambling Ward can't reach.
- - FISH 6-3 4-5 Ward HAS to hold now, but he lets Fish back into it by leaving a gap for a return. And break point now as Ward loses his composure... Saved with a serve that Fish returns to net. Advantage Ward now as he uses his first serve to good effect, although he'll need his second for this next point... a rally ensues and Ward nets. Deuce Mk 2. And Ward holds, finally, leaving Fish serving to stay in the second set!
- - FISH 6-3 4-4 BREAK! Ward has broken Fish!! A fantastic selection of returns and, on the final point, the American spoons it long under pressure and we have a match here!!
- - FISH 6-3 4-3 Fish holds with little fuss as he plays pretty conservatively, knowing Ward probably lacks the weaponry to break him. Ward can serve though, and holds to 15.
- - FISH 6-3 3-2 Ward is in trouble again but regains focus and fights back to deuce by moving his serves wide of the American. The Briton holds in the end. Change of balls and ends.
- - FISH 2-1 The American holds easily enough before giving Ward a going over on serve. At deuce though the Londoner gets his head and serve together to get off the mark.
- - FISH 6-3 1-0 BREAK! Fish brings up double break point as he generates just a bit too much power for Ward, who goes long on the next rally to concede the opening game to the second set.
- - FISH 6-3 SET! Promising start for Ward as he takes the first point but he misses a chance to take the next one with an overhit winner. Fish fights back to take a 40-15 lead, an unsuccessful overrule follows but it doesn't matter as Ward goes long and Fish takes the first set.
- - FISH 5-3 Ward is serving to stay in the set and moves 30-15 up off second serve. Good. And a comfortable hold.
- - FISH 5-2 Break point Ward after a quite brilliant forehand return down the line! Another fine return but Fish gambled and reaches it, Ward only able to scoop his shot into the net. Deuce. And the chance has gone, Fish bringing out some fine serves to hold.
- - FISH 4-2 Ward delights the crowd with comfortable hold. Maybe it was just nerves but he is playing well now.
- - FISH 4-1 Ward has some confidence now as he scraps a few points off Fish, but he returns long and it’s game point. Taken by the American with an ace down the middle.
- - FISH 3-1 Ward holds to 15 as he varies the pace on his forehands to the crowd's delight. He gets off the mark in this second-round clash as Fish returns long, though the American challenges... Nope, he went out, game Ward.
- - FISH 3-0 Nice serve-volley combos from Fish but he lets his guard down and, with a weak pair of second serves, is pegged back to 40-30. But Fish pulls it ou of the bag when he needs to, a fine serve and another hold.
- - FISH 2-0 BREAK! A wonderful scooped forehand from the corner lands just in and Fish has two break points - taken as Ward nets.
- - FISH 1-0 Fish serves to start, taking the first point easily but double-faulting to follow. Big serve next, 30-15. He holds off 30 in the end, brightish start for Ward.
- - HEAD TO HEAD: British hope and rank outsider James Ward is in action against 10th seed Mardy Fish, the American doing well just to be here after having a heart procedure three months ago. They played once, two years ago in Atlanta, and Fish won 6-1 6-2.
|Date of Birth||09/02/1987|
|Date of Birth||09/12/1981|