|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 6-4 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Up to 30-0 with serve and volley tennis, then an ace down the middle to bring up three match points. The crowd are willing the American on, there's plenty of emotion on court. Fognini looks up to the skies before bracing for match point. He can only stick a backhand into the net. Roddick's career not over yet! He has a meeting in the fourth round of the US Open with Juan Martin del Potro! Draw
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 5-4 - Fognini holds up his end of the bargain - a hold to 15 which means Roddick will take to his chair before coming out and serving for the match.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 5-3 - Ugly first point, where the putaway from Roddick is straight to Fognini, who can only steer it long when he might have done better. Roddick builds, though, sensing the momentum is, decisively, with him, and will move 40-0 in front. Fognini wrestles a point back, but loops a backhand high and into the tramlines. One more game will do it.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 4-3 - BREAK! Hope for Roddick at 0-30 on the Italian's serve, and the Arthur Ashe crowd wills him on to strike now. Nothing at first, as Fognini levels, but he's not serving hard enough and Roddick eventually gets into a rally and makes it count with a forehand - 30-40. But he smacks a forehand into the net looking for the winner too early. Now it's the American's turn to look exasperated, but he saves game point and fashions another break point chance - Roddick takes it!
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 3-3 - Roddick having to battle so hard for every point at the moment. He's gone back to the tried and tested serve and forehand combination, and Fognini, who has more of an all-round game, has been able to cause him more problems. The American comes through from deuce to stay on serve.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 2-3 - Fognini is stepping up another level again, taking advantage of Roddick's positioning deep on the court to move 30-0 ahead. But a perfectly-placed backhand gets Roddick back to 30-30. Fognini finds another gear, however, and goes on to hold. He's the player making most of the running at this stage. Roddick would probably be a second-favourite if this went to a fifth set.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 2-2 - BREAK! The sweat pouring down Roddick's head her - it might be a nervous sweat after he slips 0-40 in a trice. Roddick can only find a second serve, Fognini takes full advantage, dictating the point and finishing with a forehand. Chance lost by the American.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 2-1 - BREAK! It can all slip away in four sloppy points - and that's exactly what happens to the Italian here. So much hard work to get into contention undermined by a game he tosses away to love, flashing the last shot deep into the tramlines.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 1-1 - Roddick levels comfortably enough in reply. 20th seed has no shortage of experience to call on. As you were...
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 0-1 - Exactly what Fognini needed - an authoritative hold of serve to kick off the fourth set. Fognini not out of this by any stretch.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-6 - BREAK AND SET! Roddick put under some rare pressure on his own serve, and the Italian earns a break - and set - point. Roddick saves that with a pair of drilled groundstrokes which probe the corners of the court, but a superb passing backhand opens the door again. Roddick delivers a backhand slice that denies him - outrageous! But the American has used up all his lives here - and Fognini steals it at the third time of asking!
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-5 - OUCH - sharp intake of breath on Arthur Ashe as Fognini slips and appears to lock his knee as he chases down a forehand. That leaves him in a spot of bother at 15-30 down on serve, but a backhand pass does him the world of good, and a drop shot produces game point. Fognini nudges back ahead once more, and he seems to be ok.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 4-4 - Roddick not having things all his own way in this service game - a superb backhand low across the net beats the onrushing American - but the 20th seed comes through again from deuce. Roddick looks like a man who is hellbent on sticking around for a while. This is his last tournament, but he's not rushing off.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 3-4 - As the match reaches two hours old, Fognini edges back ahead in the third set. He's not come close to challenging the Roddick serve for a while, but as long as he's still in the contest, he'll be feeling optimistic that he can turn things around.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 3-3 - Exaggerated snatch of the towel by Fognini as the American opens up a 30-15 lead. Sarcastic applause - is it to himself or his opponent? - as he slips to 40-15. Roddick unmoved, and holds with ease.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 2-3 - Roddick has won 25 of 35 points at the net so far this afternoon - he seems to have just played the way he feels comfortable, and enjoyed the occasion. Here, that helps turn Fognini's 40-15 into deuce. Fognini needs another two looks at game point before he can hold.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 2-2 - Some more agonised shouts from Fognini, who's doing a lot of chasing without much reward. Roddick gets him running, and with a forehand across him at the net, gets back on terms in the third set.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 1-2 - Quickfire hold from Fognini - the net cord comes to his rescue on one occasion, but other than that it's a routine hold, with all four points going the Italian's way.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 1-1 - Roddick going along smoothly enough, holding to 15. Fognini seems to be going for big shots, Roddick for some controlling work at the net with some precise volleys. It could be an exciting set if these two set out their stalls this way.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 0-1 - Three times in Fognini's career the 25-year-old has overturned a two-set deficit to win a match. He starts well in a bid to do it a fourth time, racing 40-15 up, before a point to savour! Quite amazing lob from Roddick, between the legs shot from Fognini looks to have rescued it - Roddick prodcues a perfect volley! Fognini can only laugh, but he gets the hold to make sure it doesn't hurt him too much.
- - RODDICK 7-5 7-6 - SET! Fognini earns the mini-break immediately as Roddick tries a bit too much - but a strong return from Roddick cancels it out. 'Nice shoes, Andy', someone shouts, hailing his stars and stripes, and he follows with a superb forehand pass. Ace, ace to follow, and suddenly the American leads 4-1. Double fault from the Italian, and it's slipping away from him. Roddick brings up five set points, fist-pumping his way back to his end to serve it out - and he does! The crowd love it!
- - RODDICK 7-5 6-6 - Lesson learned by the Italian - he races through this hold - but a sterner challenge still awaits him in the breaker.
- - RODDICK 7-5 6-5 - Solid service game from Roddick - exactly what he needed to ramp the pressure on to his opponent. It was from exactly this position that he pinched the opener, and Fognini will have that in his mind as he aims to force a tie-break.
- - RODDICK 7-5 5-5 - Joy for the Roddick fans in attendance when the American successfully challenges a call against his shot to the baseline. Fognini responds with a dazzling backhand to move ahead at 30-15, but a double fault follows - helped by Roddick spotting that one serve was a good six inches out. He's not happy, asking the umpire "Do you want me to do your job for you?" But he's been right on the challenges... Fognini rises above to hold.
- - RODDICK 7-5 5-4 - Some more commitment from Roddick - a couple of supreme forehands help him into a 40-0 lead. Earlier in the contest he's been tentative with the higher balls, perhaps fearing for the wind - not so here. He wraps up the game with a backhand down the line that Fognini cannot contain.
- - RODDICK 7-5 4-4 - Casual hold of serve from Fognini, but everything working well. A forehand pass whips through to an almost mute response from the US crowd. Roddick looks a little frustrated to be making no impact on the Italian's serve.
- - RODDICK 7-5 4-3 - Another hold of serve from Roddick to nose back in front. The 20th seed has yet to drop a set at this year's US Open, and as he gets closer towards the business end the pressure will build on Fognini - it's a long way back from two sets down.
- - RODDICK 7-5 3-3 - The errors beginning to rack up for Fognini - 21 to Roddick's 7 now - but if he can scale them back he's very dangerous. He holds to 15 here to keep the pace with his American opponent.
- - RODDICK 7-5 3-2 - Classic Roddick - a pounding 131mph serve straight down the line for an ace. That's a serve action that is hard to beat, and when Fognini flails a backhand return down the tramlines, the American completes a hold of serve to love.
- - RODDICK 7-5 2-2 - As we reach the hour mark of the set, Fognini levels with a solid hold to 15. The Italian full of theatricality between points, but is working hard here and living with Roddick for the most part.
- - RODDICK 7-5 2-1 - Fognini hitting some vicious groundstrokes, but a two-handed backhand whipped across the court is just a fraction too long, and leaves Roddick in front at 30-15. Looks like he wants to adjust the tension on his rackets with a signal to the coaching teasm, but he's not put off enough to cost him the game. Easy hold.
- - RODDICK 7-5 1-1 - BREAK! Fognini doing himself no favours either - the world number 59 slumps to 0-40 in no time at all, then seals the 'un-break' at the first possible opportunity when the Italian slices a back low into the net. Opportunity squandered by the Italian, who's just starting to let some key opportunities slip through his fingers.
- - RODDICK 7-5 0-1 - BREAK! Roddick surrenders some of the momentum built with that late steal of the first set by losing serve at the start of the second.
- - RODDICK 7-5 - SET! Roddick senses an opportunity! Ahead at 15-40, he'll get a look at set points two and three - the second goes with a return into the net, but at the third time of asking he's through! Forehand drilled low to the Fognini backhand, and at the net the Italian cannot flick it back over.
- - RODDICK 6-5 - These are worrying signs for Roddick, as Fognini picks the American off with a backhand down the line for 30-30. Break point follows as the American pokes a forehand just out of play. The crowd do their best to urge Roddick on - and this time it works. He nudges back ahead.
- - RODDICK 5-5 - They've both hit eight unforced errors, but Fognini has 15 winners to Roddick's six - that's been a problem in the latter years of his career - his forehand not what it was, and fewer winners from open play. Fognini holds comfortably.
- - RODDICK 5-4 - BREAK! Is Roddick starting to feel the nerves at 30-30? He's been playing without inhibition during his last four sets of tennis - but a backhand pass from Fognini suddnely turns the tide and gives the Italian break point? He's in the point, too, only to slip at the wrong moment. Roddick cannot punish it, however - he lets a set point come and go, and Fognini gets back on terms.
- - RODDICK 5-3 - After the initial shaky start, Fognini, dressed in very luminous yellow, looking very assured behind his own serve. The question is whether it has come too late - because it's over to the American to wrap up the opener.
- - RODDICK 5-2 - Roddick making no mistake behind his own serve. Fognini will now serve to stay in the set, and he's just twenty minutes into the match.
- - RODDICK 4-2 - Better from Fognini, who's remembered that Roddick's backhand is not a strength. A couple of errors on that side from the American, followed by a super volley at the net, killing the ball stone dead, seal a hold to love.
- - RODDICK 4-1 - Solid hold from Roddick, who's racing through his service games. Plenty of purpose from the American, who's up to his feet before Fognini and ready to receive for the next game.
- - RODDICK 3-1 - Fognini on the board behind his serve - that ends a run of games unbeaten for Roddick at the US Open - he took the last set of his previous match against Bernard Tomic 6-0 - remind me why he's retiring?
- - RODDICK 3-0 - Seven minutes in, three games to the good. hard to imagine a better start, and the Arthur Ashe Stadium, which has taken its time to fill this morning, is now beginning to attract a crowd in the afternoon.
- - RODDICK 2-0 - BREAK! Interesting assignment for Fognini, whose job is, if not to kill Bambi's mother, then metaphorically at least to end her career. It may go some way to explaining the nervy start, and he finds himself 15-40 down in no time, unable to fend of the American.
- - RODDICK 1-0 - Roddick, the 2003 champion, has a simple game built around a big serve and a powerful forehand. So he'll be pleased to get the opening game on the board - to love - and finish with an ace.
- - Roddick and Fognini have both been around on the tour for several years, but only met the one time. That was earlier this season, when Roddick triumphed in three sets at Eastbourne.
18:30 - And now, arriving on Arthur Ashe Stadium, Andy Roddick and Fabio Fognini. If the Italian wins, the match will be the American's last in tennis. But he'll be hoping to keep his career going a few days longer in New York, and starts as favourite.
|Date of Birth||30/08/1982|
|Date of Birth||24/05/1987|