No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 6-4 6-2 - GAME, SET AND MATCH! Service winner, service winner, ace. Wawrinka gets to match point with the minimum of fuss, and seals it with an ace. That was a clinic to a talented youngster. If Wawrinka can keep this up, he could be a handful for Novak Djokovic, who awaits him next. Draw
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 6-4 5-2 - Dolgopolov has had to save more break points, but he does at least hold serve. It could well be his final service game in New York this year - Wawrinka has blown him away.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 6-4 3-0 - BREAK! The only thing that has stopped this match being perhaps even more of a demolition is how profligate Wawrinka has been with his break point opportunities. Eight of them come and go in this game alone, but Dolgopolov seems unable to stop them coming. At the ninth time of asking Wawrinka turns his advantage into a double break, and the end is in sight.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 6-4 2-0 - BREAK! Dolgopolov has offered 12 break points up in his first service games of the three sets. It's a recipe for disaster, and this time, having been broken, it could be his last mistake. Wawrinka has been uncompromising, and backing up his break with a hold to love suggests he means business. Laura Robson v Sam Stosur follows this match.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 6-4 - SET! Individual moments of brilliance from Dolgopolov, but they're coming too few and far between. A forehand across the Swiss leaves Wawrinka stranded, but it comes on set point, and he simply gathers himself and booms down an ace at the next opportunity. A very impressive day's work from the 18th seed so far.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 4-3 - Three unreturnable serves from Dolgopolov - that should be the game right there, but it takes another three attempts to get over the line. Brilliance from Wawrinka and errors from the Ukrainian are really hurting him.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 3-2 - BREAK! Wawrinka strikes. It may have taken a total of seven break points, but the Swiss finally converts in the second set. That's a big blow for Dolgopolov, who slams his racket to the ground in frustration.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 2-2 - Wawrinka is having to contend with serving from behind in this set, without the benefit of a break in his pocket. But so far, that is not proving the slightest problem. The Swiss impressing with his aggression.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 0-1 - Dolgopolov before he really knows what's happened finds himself 0-40 down. Echoes of the first set, here, especially as the Ukrainian 14th seed rescues himself with three successive points to force deuce. A forehand thrashed listlessly into the net gives Wawrinka another opportunity, but that is saved - as is the fifth break point. Somehow Dolgopolov gets over the line, and that, you sense, is a crucial hold if he is to get back into the contest.
- - WAWRINKA 6-4 - SET! In a hurry Wawrinka brings up three set points. Dolgopolov saves the first with his trademark, galloping run and forehand, then stops the second with a backhand pass that slips under the Swiss' racket. But Wawrinka finishes it off with an overhead, and takes a crucial lead in the contest.
- - WAWRINKA 5-3 - Dolgopolov has finally pegged Wawrinka back with some pulsating play, including a forehand putaway on the run at the net. Wawrinka, however, has a serious weapon with his serve, and two big ones get him from deuce to within a game of the opening set.
- - WAWRINKA 4-2 - Wawrinka has not surrendered that gift from the Ukrainian in the opening game - holding with ease once more, he's now just two away from taking the opening set.
- - WAWRINKA 1-0 - BREAK! Terrible start from Dolgopolov, conceding the first three points on his own serve. Some industrious work, including a first ace, digs him out of that particular hole, but the Swiss number two is not to be denied. Another break point comes, and pouncing on a second serve, it's first bloood to Wawrinka.
19:45 - Just about to start over on Louis Armstrong Court, 14th seed Alexandr Dolgopolov takes on Stanislas Wawrinka, seeded 18. Not much to separate these players - both capable of brilliance. Winner gets a shot at Novak Djokovic in the last 16. Draw
|Date of Birth||07/11/1988|
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|