|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - AZARENKA 6-1 6-1 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Easy for Azarenka as she serves out the match with the minimum of fuss, a huge first serve sealing it for the defending champion at the first attempt. She is through to the quarter-finals, where she will face Svetlana Kuznetsova.
- - AZARENKA 6-1 5-1 - BREAK! Ouch! Vesnina has faded fast after that incredibly competitive end to the first set. But she slaps down a double fault to hand Azarenka the double break and leave the world number one serving for the match after just 54 minutes.
- - AZARENKA 6-1 4-1 - Vesnina produces a spectacular low backhand slice approach shot followed by a forehand volley winner to deny Azarenka on a first game point. But she can do nothing on the second and the world number one does extend her lead with a forehand winner
- - AZARENKA 6-1 3-1 - BREAK! Not a great lob from Azarenka but it does enough as Vesnina just about taps it back into play only for the Belarusian to find an easy passing shot winner. It brings up yet another break point for the world number one and she again she takes it when Vesnina puts a forehand into the net
- - AZARENKA 6-1 2-1 - Azarenka again opens up a service game with a double fault but this time she manages to keep it to just the one double and instead eases to a comfortable hold when a forehand winner off a shorter ball from Vesnina
- - AZARENKA 6-1 1-1 - BREAK! The double faults appear to be catching as Vesnina opens her service game with one. She appeared to do a bit of damage to her back when she chased after that second serve and immediately stretches it out. And Azarenka goes on to break back and get things back on level terms
- - AZARENKA 6-1 0-1 - BREAK! Azarenka squanders a game point when she sends a regulation backhand worryingly long, two-to-three metres long, She then slaps down back-to-back double faults, her fifth and sixth of the match, to hand Vesnina a break point. She finally manages to get a serve in, a second serve at that, but then sends an off-backhand well wide across court to concede her serve early in this second set
- - AZARENKA 6-1 - SET! Vesnina produces another cracking forehand winner down the line on her way to three game points. But Azarenka forces his way back into the game and earns herself a set point when the Russian sends a forehand into the net. And the Belarusian takes full advantage, her backhand return of serve landing right on the baseline. Vesnina can do nothing about it and challenges but it's a hopeful one and sure enough the ball was right on the line. The world number one has the first set
- - AZARENKA 5-1 - Azarenka produces a sublime cross court forehand passing shot winner that Vesnina can do nothing about. The Russian responds with a forehand winner down the line but it only temporary respite as consecutive errors from her help Azarenka hold and leave Vesnina preparing to serve to stay in this opening set
- - AZARENKA 4-1 - Another double fault from Vesnina hands Azarenka a chance for a third straight break. She fails to take advantage, sending a backhand just very marginally wide down the line, and the Russian goes on to hold with some stunning play that ends with an angled backhand cross court winner
- - AZARENKA 4-0 - A tougher service hold for Azarenka this time around, not exactly helped by two double faults from the world number one. But she doesn't let Vesnina hold a break back point and after a couple of deuces the Belarusian does hold when her opponent sends a forehand return of serve whistling long
- - AZARENKA 3-0 - BREAK! A forehand volley wide and a forehand into the net from Vesnina, sandwich a blistering inside-out forehand return of serve winner from Azarenka as she brings up three more break points. But once again, only one is needed, as Azarenka steps inside the baseline and easily finds a forehand winner.
- - AZARENKA 2-0 - The Belarusian frowns hard after a forehand into the net to drop a point in her first service game of the match. But it's the only blip in the game and she quickly holds with an unreturnable serve. And that consolidates the early break
- - AZARENKA 1-0 - BREAK! Azarenka is slightly lucky, perhaps, to come through her third round match against Jamie Hampton a couple of days ago. But she has started in blistering fashion today, leaping all over the Vesnina serve. It rattles the Russian who goes for too much on her second serve and slaps down a double fault to hand the world number one an early break point. And Azarenka grasps it with both hands, again drilling her backhand return of serve, Vesnina returning it into the net
- - So, Elena Vesnina won the toss and opted to serve first against Victoria Azarenka on the Rod Laver Arena...
|Date of Birth||31/07/1989|
|Date of Birth||01/08/1986|