|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 6-0 - GAME, SET, MATCH! - Kirilenko serves out well enough to start but a beautiful forehand winner from Serena for 30-30 turns the tide in her favour and after forcing her opponent into net for a third point on the spin, the massacre is completed. It looked like it would be a more even contest at first, but Serena is now 20 wins to the good on a wonderful run of form.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 5-0 - A bit of a flashback to the competitive and balanced nature of the match's first two games as Serena scrapes through to hold from deuce amidst great pressure from Kirilenko. But she's just not dropping a game at the moment regardless of what Kirilenko does and will likely only need one or two of these five opportunities to complete the demolition.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 4-0 - BREAK! - Once again Williams times her attack of Kirilenko's serve perfectly and breaks to 30 once again. Not only is the straight-sets win imminent, but this will be a 'Sharapova' score it would seem.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 3-0 - Great point won by Kirilenko for 15-30 but it's otherwise another straightforward hold for Williams.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 2-0 - BREAK! - To demoralise Kirilenko further, she puts in a strong service game with good energy pursuing follow-ups, and still finds herself broken to 30. Serena is absolutely bulldozing her way to win 20.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 1-0 - The American isn't having much trouble pressuring Kirilenko into errors, and does so for another hold to love to start the second set.
- - WILLIAMS 6-2 - SET! - And Serena only needs one to wrap up a comfortable first set. The triple-break point from game one is a distant memory as she pummels Kirilenko's serve for the double-break to 15.
- - WILLIAMS 5-2 - Alas, the Russian is just not finding the power to put Serena's serve on the back foot and that's another love-service to give Williams three shots at taking this opening set.
- - WILLIAMS 4-2 - There's a hold to love from Kirilenko, and the first time she's displayed true authority on serve, but it could well be too little too late unless she can reprise and sustain the energy from game one to break Serena back.
- - WILLIAMS 4-1 - A second successive spotless hold puts the exclamation mark on Serena's pulling out in front here in the opening set, making it 13 points won in a row on serve after falling to that triple break point right from the offset.
- - WILLIAMS 3-1 - BREAK! - Maria cannot top that. In fact, after another tight game with ball in hand reaches 30-30, Serena steps up her returns to win the contest's first break.
- - WILLIAMS 2-1 - That said, Serena has just hammered home a hold to love which will serve as a bit of a 'try and top THAT' to her opponent after the well-contested opening two service games.
- - WILLIAMS 1-1 - A hold for Kirilenko as well to start this final women's singles of the day, and like Serena she has to do so from deuce. A good competitive start which we can only hope continues.
- - WILLIAMS 1-0 - Kirilenko starts extremely bright, returning three times for a triple break point, but Serena - who appears to feel that ankle of hers with every exchange - only gets ticked off by the turn of events and serves up five straight points to rescue the hold.
- - Right, here we go. Can Serena make it 20 wins on the bounce? She serves first and we're underway!
- - Serena Williams and Maria Kirilenko are out warming up on Rod Laver. They'll be underway shortly.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||25/01/1987|