|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - This wasn't really Murray's signature finish to a match and definitely not the one he would have preferred, but if his 14 aces are anything to go by he is in good stead for his coming match against Lithuanian qualifier Ricardas Berankis after the 25th seed Florian Mayer 6-2 6-3 6-1.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! The Scot comes out guns blazing. Sousa fights on like a lone masketeer up against an army but it's not enough to prevent three match points. The Portuguese does take control of the first, pumping a beauty of a backhand down Murray’s left corner. He tries the same move again but his drive is too optimistic and Murray can finally rest easy knowing he is into the third round.
- - SOUSA 2-6 2-6 4-5 - What did we say about willpower? Murray is pinned back yet again, and this match probably isn't finishing in quite the way he hopes.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 5-3 - Murray finds his groove and wins another service, nearly to love but not quite courtesy of Souda and his feisty forehand. Controversy on the last point as Sousa seems to want to challenge a ball called out but was too late.
- - Murray wants to swat this young Portuguese player away but he can’t quite manage it. Excellent show of willpower from Sousa.
- - SOUSA 2-6 2-6 3-4 - What a rally! Some baseline play before a drive down the line, swiping forehand across court to Murray’s right another power forehand down the other line and how did Sousa get to that? An off-balance return somehow lands perfectly on target in the back pocket and Murray is there to sends it back with interest and a bit of spin, before Sousa pumps a bit too hard. Despite losing this point Sousa holds serve.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 4-2 - Murray wins a cheap service game to love
- - SOUSA 2-6 2-6 2-3 - Sousa is more than holding court here (mind the pun) and he's got a knack for playing shots from wide angles. He crosses a forehand to Murray's right, but the Brit overcooks it ever so slightly and the ball ends up in the tramlines. He hits another out and strops off court shaking his head.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 3-1 - A rare serve-volley moment from Murray as Sousa can only pop up a powerful first serve and Murray smashes it into an empty left court. A would-be ace at 40-30 is called a let, but it makes no difference – aces are regulation for the Brit in this game and he simply does it again.
- - SOUSA 2-6 2-6 1-2 - The crowd cheers as Sousa hits a simply wonderful speedy smash across court to the right. Murray has no chance on this one but he more than does on the next as he makes Sousa scramble all over before a forehand drive and volley sees him reign supreme. It’s Sousa’s turn to make Murray run and he holds his service in what is much closer game than the previous couple.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 2-0 - Murray notches his 10th ace, this time down the line, and gives the Portuguese a working over to grab this game very quickly.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 1-0 - BREAK! The Brit needs to work to earn this one as Sousa moves well on the court.
- - MURRAY 6-2 6-2 - Murray follows an ace with an ace and gets in on some serve-volley action along with a beautiful forehand. The game is over before we've even blinked.
- - SOUSA 2-6 2-5 - Sousa doesn't want to let this go yet, and finds a fantastic wide angle on his serve, which Murray nonchalantly whacks back for the point. Murray steps up the action, producing a fine down-the-line backhand drive that is returned by Sousa but it’s too far. A match point in hand, Murray botches a shot in a mirror of the previous point, and Sousa recovers to take the game from deuce.
- - MURRAY 6-2 5-1 - Murry gets his mojo back after a sluggish game but he has replaced it with bad net shots. By which we mean he repeatedly sends balls into the net. The Brit can't quite believe it when he underdoes another shot at 40-30 and it goes to deuce. Regardless, the fine shot that follows and a too-long Sousa drive wrap up the game in favour of the Brit.
- - SOUSA 2-6 1-4 - Sousa rallies to snatch back a service game to love, a brief moment of relief from the pain train that is Andy Murray.
- - MURRAY 6-2 4-1 - Murray pumps down an ace – his third of the match - to seal the first point. The pair do battle and Murray reigns on the baseline, another feisty serve setting up two game points. Sousa is far too optimistic with his return which sails past the baseline.
- - MURRAY 6-2 3-0 - BREAK! Another neck-and-neck game gives Murray the break point at 30-40, a baseline drive that Sousa challenges but is overruled. Murray converts in the next point.
- - MURRAY 6-2 2-0 - Sousa accelerates to lash a deadly forehand to Murray’s back-left corner and take a 30-15 lead, before an overcooked drive cancels out his efforts. Sousa has the right strategy and he sends Murray way back before bringing him into the net, but the thing about making Murray run is that he nearly always gets there and this is no exception, the Brit picking up the drop shot and sending it wit spin down Sousa’s right tramlines. Murray wraps up a close game from deuce.
- - MURRAY 6-2 1-0 – BREAK! Sousa comes out guns blazing but Murray notches it up an extra gear and breaks at the first opportunity.
- - MURRAY 6-1 - Murray takes his service game to love with no problems at all to tie up the set in 31 minutes.
- - SOUSA 2-5 - Sousa lashes a winning backhand at an acute angle across court. He steps it up a gear and sends Sousa running all over until the agile Portuguese blazes a trail past the baseline. Murray challanges a Sousa ace but it's well and truly in, and Sousa sends another feisty serve that Murray slings into the net. Murray to serve for the set.
- - MURRAY 5-1 - Murray is in his zone now and is playing with his shots a bit. He ovecooks a backhand slice to bring the scoreboard to deuce before planting an ace to gain the advantage. Sousa responds by dumping into the net.
- - MURRAY 4-1 - BREAK! Murray sends Sousa running ragged in a baseline battle on he can win to bring the score to 0-40. The Brit can hardly get his racket to an incredible left-to-right backhand and Sousa steals back a point, but Murray takes the game.
- - MURRAY 3-1 - Sousa challenges Murray's serve which wasn't called out, and shows to have to touched the back line of the service court. The Brit attempts to break the stalemate in a long baseline rally with a backhand slice but it goes long. At deuce, a Sousa drive down the right is bested by a backhand beauty down the line and soon seals the game.
- - MURRAY 2-1 - BREAK! Sousa is at the net and showing some early nerve with well-placed volleys. He makes the mistake of putting one in the middle of the court though and Murray turns the top spin on to send it low before the Portuguese wacks it into the net. Murray has two break points, the first of which he ruins with a long ball, the second which Sousa gifts him into to the net.
- MURRAY 1-1 Murray rallies with two serves down the middle that Sousa loses control of, and both land long of the baseline. He takes the game to 15.
- - SOUSA 1-0 - Sousa kicks off with a walloping serve with Murray struggles to get to, but he botches a would-be winner to the left court, sending the ball out. Sousa goes up 40-30 and Murray brings it back to deuce. Sousa gets the advantage and the Brit hits into the net.
- - Murray is warming up now with Sousa, the world No. 100, who he has admitted to knowing not much about apart from watching him play on clay courts in Barcelona and at the French Open last year.
|Date of Birth||30/03/1989|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|