|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Ferrer is through to the semi-finals, he second Australian Open semi-final, where he will face the winner between Novak Djokovic and Tomas Berdych. They play in the night match later on today
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Ferrer enjoys a little chuckle to himself after racing into the net only to send a forehand wide across court. But it's only temporary as he sets up two match points on the very next attempt. And after returning the serve in play, Almagro walks to the net, handing Ferrer the open court to hit into, to seal the win
- - Ferrer raised his arms after that game like he knew he had won, and on the way back to the chair, with Ferrer already sitting in his, Almagro just tapped his compatriot on the knee with his racquet - a sort of congratulations
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 5-2 - BREAK! Ferrer puts up a deft lob, good enough to go well over the head of Almagro but still landing a metre inside the baseline. That seals the second break in this final set and Ferrer will have to change for it, with the new balls, after the change of ends
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 4-2 - Ferrer eases through a service hold that consolidates the break, sealing the hold with his 15th ace of the day. That is a fantastic display of serving from the world number four
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 3-2 - BREAK! Almagro goes for broke on a series of backhands across court, but eventually hits into the net. That hands Ferrer a break point in this final set ... and it is all he needs as he finds a forehand winner to edge ahead
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 2-2 - Ferrer races through a love service hold to keep the pressure firmly on Almagro as the clock ticks towards three hours and 30 minutes
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 1-2 - Almagro posts another battling service hold without having to save a break point. The 10th seed threw all he had into his serve in that game, so that he didn't have to get involved in too many rallies
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 1-1 - Ferrer also opens up his fifth set account with a hold to 15 that he seals with an ace down the centre of the court
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) 0-1 - A double fault does not help Almagro's cause as he hands Ferrer an early break point in this final set. The world number five squanders it though, sending his backhand return of serve long of the baseline, and Almagro goes on to hold with an ace
- - Almagro has had the trainer out on court again during the change of ends, receiving more massage to that left thigh. And he gets a little longer than the regulation change over as Ferrer has chosen to take a comfort break to change his shorts
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 7-6(4) - SET! Almagro denies Ferrer on a first set point with an inside-out forehand winner across court. But he can do nothing about the second, sending a forehand well long of the baseline to hand Ferrer the fourth set. This one is going to a fifth set.
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 6-6 - TIE-BREAK! Almagro makes a scrappy start to the breaker, immediately going two points to love down. But he recovers and levels up at 3-3 at the change of ends after a forehand volley winner. He pulls up short after the shot though, and it looks like he is starting to struggle with cramp
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 6-6 -BREAK! Almagro is forced to save another two break points. He's successful in saving the first with a big first serve and even bigger forehand. But he hits long with a forehand on the second and this set will be decided by a tie-break
- - Ferrer is furious during the change of ends, hitting his chair with his racquet and sending his water bottle flying, and then also kicking it. Almagro meanwhile has the trainer out on court fro a rub down to his left thigh. He'll serve for the match for the third time, this time with the new balls
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 5-6 - BREAK! Even Almagro is left sighing in relief when his inside-out forehand only just catches the sideline. It brings up a sixth break point. And this time he gets it, Ferrer hitting long down the line to concede
- - Ferrer saves the first break point he has managed to save all afternoon with an unreturnable first serve straight down the line. Meanwhile Almagro squanders the second with a backhand just long of the baseline. He gets another chance when Ferrer pulls a cross court forehand wide but again the fourth seed saves it with a big first serve. He even gets a fifth chance but cannot get his return in play yet again...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 5-5 - BREAK! Almagro saves it with an incredibly gutsy second serve that Ferrer cannot return in play. But he pulls his big forheand long down the line to gift Ferrer yet another chance. And this time Ferrer finally does secure the break back, Almagro hitting another tight backhand into the net
- - Two pretty smart points for Ferrer as he just gets the ball back into play and waits for Almagro to make the error. Which he does. On both points. Ferrer has two break back points. Almagro saves the first with a forehand approach shot winner. And he saves the second with a huge forehand winner down the line after a lengthy cross court exchange. But he gives Ferrer a third chance to break, sending a backhand long down the line...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 4-5 - BREAK! Almagro earns himself yet another break point - he hasn't failed on one yet - to leave himself serving for the match for a second time. And sure enough, he does break (that's six from six for the 10th seed), Ferrer hitting a forehand long to concede once again. Almagro will serve for the match after the change of ends...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 4-4 - BREAK! Ferrer's inside-out forehand across court catches the top of the tape, which helps him wrong-foot Almagro to bring up another break back point. Another break back point which Ferrer takes advantage of, working his way into the net and dinking over a backhand volley. It's back on serve yet again in this fourth set.
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 3-4 - BREAK! Wow! Much better from Almagro as he earns himself two more break points with a stunning backhand winner down the line. And he is yet to fail to convert when Ferrer hits into the net. The world number four is not happy as he first slashes at the court with his racquet and then hits the chair as he stomps back to it
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 3-3 - Almagro does well to control his emotions long enough to hold from 30-30 with another couple of huge serves. His serve really is keeping him in this at the minute, but whatever the reason, it is an important hold for the 10th seed to level up
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 3-2 - Ferrer gets things back on track with another unreturnable serve. Almagro, despite having that break just one game away, appears completely gone still as he snatches at a couple of forehands and sends the ball sailing long of the baseline on both occasions
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 2-2 - BREAK! Almagro fails to put away three smashes but he slashes at a cross court forehand, which he sends for a winner, to save a first break point. But he can do nothing about a second, slapping the ball long, and handing Ferrer the immediate break back
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 1-2 - BREAK! Almagro sends a forehand return of serve careering back over the net only for the ball to be called out. But he challenges and the ball was shown to have caught the very back of the line and that should help settle him down. Sure enough he goes on to earn two break points. And he takes it at the first attempt, his forehand return only send back into the net by Ferrer, who slashes his racquet at the court in frustration
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 1-1 - Gutsy play from Almagro as he stops the rot and holds for the loss of just the one point, albeit a point that goes with another very tight backhand well wide across court
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 1-0 - Ferrer races through a love service hold to love, firing down an ace out wide to seal the game. A huge game coming up for Almagro next...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 7-5 - SET! Wow! That was a complete collapse from Almagro as he hits long to hand Ferrer three set points. But only one is needed, the 10th seed pulling his forehand well wide across court. That is going to hurt the younger Spaniard.
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 6-5 - All of a sudden Ferrer is producing the kind of play we saw from him all the way through last year, and he holds without any fuss to force Almagro, serving for the match just minutes ago, to serve for the breaker
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 5-5 - BREAK! At the merest of hesitations from Almagro, Ferrer leaeps all over the baseline and drills an inside-out forehand winner across court to secure his first break of the afternoon - at his sixth attempt
- - Ferrer earns himself two break back points with a blistering forehand winner down the line. Almagro saves the first with an amazing ace out wide, especially amazing considering the pressure on him at the moment. And another gutsy serve, followed by a forehand approach shot and deft forehand volley winner saves the second. He hands Ferrer a third chance to break though, missing a forehand across court...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 4-5 - Ferrer holds to love, with a forehand winner down the line and then an ace, to put all the pressure on Almagro, who will now serve for a place in his first Grand Slam semi-finals
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 3-5 - Almagro throws in a slightly tighter game as Ferrer levels at 30-30. But Almagro is really let off the hook with a backhand long from the world number five and then goes on to fire down his ninth ace, this time out wide, to hold and leave Ferrer serving to stay in this match
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 3-4 - BREAK! Ferrer slashes his racquet at the ground in frustration after another error from him hands Almagro three more break points. It's a nervy first serve from the fourth seed, the ball landing closer to the baseline than the service line. But he does get his second in and even gets involved in the kind of baseline exchange he would usually win. But instead he puts a backhand long to hand his opponent the break to love. Huge moments coming up for Almagro...
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 3-3 - A double fault to open the game is the only blip in another otherwise faultless service hold from Almagro as he levels up once again with a serve out wide that Ferrer can only just get a racquet to, the ball getting nowhere close to being returned in play
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 3-2 - There's a definite lull in play and atmosphere at the moment, as if both players and also the crowd are waiting for something to happen. But Ferrer holds for the loss of just the one point to sneak out in front once again, Almagro failing to cope with another kicker serve and sending his cross court forehand return wide
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 2-2 - Ferrer completely loses a the ball in the sun when Almagro puts up a high lob. And Ferrer sends his smash careering into the net to help his opponent hold without any trouble and level up once again
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 2-1 - Ferrer produces the kicker serve out to the Almagro backhand, and that is one that he has trouble with, when it bounces up high. And sure enough he struggles to control his single-handed backhand return and the world number five holds when the ball lands out of play
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 1-1 - Ferrer continues to be beaten from the back of the court as Almagro gets everything back and bides his time until Ferrer makes the error, a forehand into the net, to squander a break point and the 10th seed goes on to hold with an ace out wide, his seventh ace of the clash
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 1-0 - Ferrer races through a love service hold to open the third set, firing down another two aces in the process
- - Three times Ferrer has come back from two sets to love down to win in five. But he's going to have to produce something incredibly special today, or hope that Almagro's level drops considerably, if he is to get back into this one
- - FERRER 4-6 4-6 - SET! Wow! Almagro serves out the set to love, a huge first serve out wide followed by a forehand down the line after running around the ball. No nerves there from Almagro as he marches on towards his first ever Grand Slam semi-final.
- - FERRER 4-6 4-5 - Ferrer has no trouble at all holding with a serve down the centre of the court that Almagro can only return into the net. The 10th seed will have the chance to serve for a two sets to love lead after the change of ends.
- - FERRER 4-6 3-5 - Ferrer completely mis-times a forehand return of serve to let Almagro off the hook at 0-30. But a forehand long down the line on the next point hands Ferrer two break points, his first of the match. Almagro saves them both, the first with an ace and the second with an unreturnable serve, before coming through it and leave Ferrer serving to stay in this second set
- - FERRER 4-6 3-4 - Ferrer keeps it to just the one break as he posts a much more solid hold, even throwing in his seventh ace in the process
- - FERRER 4-6 2-4 - Almagro races through another service hold to consolidate the break. The 10th seed fires an ace down the centre of the court to bring up three game points before Ferrer hits long off another solid serve from Almagro
- - FERRER 4-6 2-3 - BREAK! Ferrer is pushed way behind the court and ends up playing a forehand in the shaded part of the court. It's a forehand into the net, which leaves him yelling loudly at himself, that sees Almagro level at 30-30. And he then goes on to level at deuce with a backhand down the line followed by a backhand across court. But Almagro fashions a break point and he takes it, again pushing Ferrer all round the basline and drawing the cross court backhand error
- - FERRER 4-6 2-2 - Ferrer is beginning to get pretty frustrated now as Almagro eases through another service hold, for the loss of just one point, with yet another ace
- - FERRER 4-6 2-1 - Brilliant defence from Ferrer as he scampers around the baseline getting everything back before easily getting up to a shorter ball from Almagro and rattling a backhand winner down the line to hold
- - FERRER 4-6 1-1 - Too good from the 10th seed as he also holds for the loss of just the one point to get his second set tally off the mark
- - FERRER 4-6 1-0 - A solid opening service hold from the world number five as he holds for the loss of just the one point, even throwing in another ace in the process. His fastest serve so far today has only been 126mph but the placement has been perfect
- - Almagro has won the first set on three previous occasions against Ferrer but, as we mentioned at the beginning, he is yet to turn that into a win against his compatriot
- - FERRER 4-6 - SET! Fantastic from Almagro, only slightly tarnished as he hits a double fault on the first of his set points. But he quickly makes amends on the second chance, serving out the set to 15 with a serve that Ferrer can not return in play
- FERRER 4-5 - Ferrer also holds to 30 with an angled kicker ace out wide. He's still a break down though and Almagro will have the chance to serve out the set after the change of ends
- - FERRER 3-5 - Almagro is really taking the fight to Ferrer today as he races through a hold to 15. Not only does that consolidate the break for the younger Spaniard, its also leaves Ferrer serving to stay in this opening set
- - FERRER 3-4 - BREAK! That backhand seems to have inspired Almagro as he immediately earns himself two break points. Only the one is needed though as he fires a backhand across court, Ferrer only able to get a frame to the ball despite being at full stretch
- - FERRER 3-3 - An great body serve from Almagro, that Ferrer can only return into the net, brings up a game point for younger man. And he takes quick advantage of it, unleashing a beautiful single-handed backhand winner down the line
- - FERRER 3-2 - Immaculate serving from Ferrer as he holds to love after consecutive forehands long from Almagro. That's just the two points dropped in three service games from Ferrer
- - FERRER 2-2 - Almagro goes for the barn-storming forehand only to hit the ball into the top of the net and allow Ferrer to level at deuce. But he comes out on top of another lengthy rally (this time 23-strokes) with a smash winner and then goes on to hold when Ferrer puts a regulation forehand into the net
- - FERRER 2-1 - The higher ranked Spaniard posts a second straight hold to 15, finding a third ace in the process. Ita a big serve out wide followed by an inside-out cross court forehand, that Almagro can only return long, is what seals the game for Ferrer
- - FERRER 1-1 - A solid first opening hold to love from Almagro as he seals the game when Ferrer puts a backhand long down the line.
- - FERRER 1-0 - Ferrer opens with consecutive aces before going on to hold after a 26-stroke rally with a cross court forehand that Almagro can only return into the net. That's the challenge for Almgaro - Ferrer will get just about everything back today.
- - The players are just about through with their warm-up now and it will be Ferrer to get the clash underway by serving first after winning the spin of the coin...
- - Any predictions? Any questions? Why not get in touch on Twitter. I'll be here not only for this match but also for the whole of the day session on day nine of the Australian Open. Follow me on Twitter @pippawdavis
- - Don't forget that this match, like every other single's match left in the tournament, is available to watch in full on the Eurosport Player. Just click here to subscribe.
- - In fact, on only four of those 12 occasions has Almagro even managed to push Ferrer to a decisive third set. Their only previous Grand Slam meeting, came at the US Open back in 2006, when Ferrer won in straight sets
- - To say the stats do not look good for Almagro heading into this clash would be an understatement. These two have played each other 12 times before and Ferrer has won all 12 of them.
- - Hello and welcome to the first of the men's quarter-finals - an all-Spanish clash between fourth seed David Ferrer and 10th seed Nicolas Almgro
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|
|Date of Birth||21/08/1985|