|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Nadal celebrates with a big roar and a fist pump! That was a real test for him. Credit to Gulbis, whose 13-match unbeaten run comes to an end.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 7-5 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Gulbis hits a tired-looking forehand long to go 0-30 down and then the Latvian sends a mirror image shot into the same spot on the next point. Rafa wastes his first match point with a big shank and then the second goes begging after a double fault! He makes no mistake on the third attempt though as he forces Gulbis wide and the Latvian fails to return!
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 6-5 - BREAK! An aggressive attack to the net ends with Nadal smashing emphatically to go 40-15 up! He clenches his fist and gives a roar before his fighting spirit is rewarded with what could be a crucial break!
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 5-5 - Rafa sends a forehand long to go 15-30 down and the crowd murmur their excitement! Gulbis finds the net on the next rally though and Nadal goes on to hold serve after a call is challenged and shown to be out!
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 4-5 - Gulbis lets his concentration slip momentarily as he double faults - the first serve went out at the baseline! - but he soon has the crowd on their feet as he manages to reach a Nadal dink over the net and return it back past the Spaniard! He lets himself down again soon after though, hitting the net meekly before Nadal whips a winner to bring up break point! Gulbis saves it and goes on to hold.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 4-4 - Game Nadal, the umpire says. There's nothing to separate these two at the moment. It's a great battle out there and Gulbis is matching Nadal physically so far.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 3-4 - Nadal wraps a forehand winner down the line to get back to 30-40 but Gulbis is too good on the next point and the Latvian claims the game. The pressure is mounting on Stadium 1 at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden!
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 3-3 - Nadal pulls off a brilliant forehand winner down the line under great pressure at deuce! He goes on to hold and it's all square at the halfway stage in the deciding set.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 2-3 - Gulbis is annoyed with himself for hitting the net with a volley at 40-15 up, but he gets over it to seal another service game. This one looks like going down to the wire at the moment.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 2-2 - Rafa is forced to save a break point on his way to holding. Gulbis asks for a medical time out halfway through the game but is told in no uncertain terms by the umpire that his cut finger is nothing and to get on with it!
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 1-2 - Gulbis doesn't let that little spat get to him at all and the Latvian serves out to love to edge ahead. Not sure what Rafa was hoping to achieve from that exchange with the umpire...
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 1-1 - Gulbis threatens Nadal a little, but the former world number one comes through his service game. Nadal gets a code violation for coaching at the end of the game. He's angry about it and he gets the umpire to call over the line judge - who heard the coaching in Spanish - and explain. Which he does, and everyone gets on with things.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 0-1 - Gulbis, who managed to keep his cool during the changeover at the end of that set despite his temper getting the better of him on occasion tonight, holds in the opening game of the third set.
- - NADAL 4-6 6-4 - SET! Gulbis can't find that something to break down Nadal's serve and the Spaniard finally draws level at a set apiece on his fourth set point! We're going to a decider...
- - NADAL 4-6 5-4 - Nadal has a chance to seal the set, but Gulbis digs in and holds serve! Nadal will serve for the set now though and Gulbis needs something big.
- - NADAL 4-6 5-3 - Nadal wins a lengthy opening rally before he is given a time violation before the next point. No matter, he booms down an ace to go 30-0 up. Then, a worrying moment as Rafa slips over while trying to reach a Gulbis drop shot... he's okay though and he scrapes himself off the court, towels himself down and claims the next two points.
- - NADAL 4-6 4-3 - BREAK! Gulbis falls to 0-40 and he angrily boots a ball into the stands! The crowd don't like that and start to give him the bird. Not that Gulbis is bothered - he even manages a smile. Nadal capitalises on the loss of concentration and breaks for a second time this set!
- - NADAL 4-6 3-3 - Nadal levels at three apiece as a bit more aggression appears to benefit him. The crowd like that and as he reaches for a new racquet at the end of the game the noise levels rise.
- - NADAL 4-6 2-3 - Gulbis hammers down his third ace of the match - clocked at 123mph - to set up game point and then he fires another - at 131mph - to seal the game.
- - NADAL 4-6 2-2 - BREAK! Gulbis shows Nadal that he too has a booming forehand when he wants with a ferocious winner to level at 30-30. He goes on to bring up break point, but Nadal saves it with a huge serve. He soon gets another chance though, and this time he takes it as Rafa hits the net!
- - NADAL 4-6 2-1 - Boom! What a ripping forehand from Rafa! Gulbis watched it fly past him before applauding the shot. Not a lot else he could do really. But he recovers to take the game as Nadal hits a forehand past the baseline.
- - NADAL 4-6 2-0 - Rafa consolidates that break of serve to take a two-game lead early in the second set. Good start for the Spaniard.
- - NADAL 4-6 1-0 - BREAK! Nadal picks himself up straight away and brings up two break points but credit to Gulbis, he saves both of them, the first with a booming serve and the second when Rafa goes long. But then the Latvian falls apart and Rafa breaks following a wild overhead smash from Gulbis!
- - NADAL 4-6 - SET! Nadal faces a little bit of pressure at 30-30 and it shows as he tamely hits the net! Set point to Gulbis! And when Nadal hits one long, the first set goes to Gulbis! Great stuff from the on-form Latvian! Is there an upset on the cards here? Rafa certainly needs to raise his game if he is to avoid that scenario.
- - NADAL 4-5 - A super backhand winner from Gulbis gives him a love service game. And now Nadal must serve to stay in the set, although he's not been easy to break so far this tournament.
- - NADAL 4-4 - Gulbis gets a sniff of a break point chance at 30-30 but he fires a shot out - his 10th unforced error of the match - and Rafa goes on to whip a forehand winner back past the Latvian on the next point to seal the game.
- - NADAL 3-3 - Nadal holds again and we're still all square and on-serve in the opening set. Neither player has flinched so far.
- - NADAL 2-3 - Gulbis is slightly off with his radar to allow Nadal back into the game at deuce but the Latvian holds his nerve, despite the Rafa resistance, to hold and keep the opening set on serve.
- - NADAL 2-2 - Rafa levels at 2-2 as he finally starts to unleash some powerful groundstroke winners.
- - NADAL 1-2 - A brilliant get from Gulbis is followed by a sensational forehand winner down the line which Rafa simply cannot get near! The Latvian wraps up the game a few points later. Tight at the moment.
- - NADAL 1-1 - Nadal follows suit with a decent service game of his own to get the scoreboard ticking over.
- - NADAL 0-1 - Great start by Gulbis, who wins the opening game to love. That's just what the Latvian would have wanted, to settle any early nerves he might have had.
- - NADAL 0-0 - Here we go then, a quarter-final against Roger Federer is at stake! Gulbis to serve first.
- - Rafa Nadal is next up on centre. The Spaniard faces a tricky test against Ernests Gulbis, who is on a 13-match winning streak.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||30/08/1988|