|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Gasquet becomes the first man through to the quarter-finals, where he we will face the winner between our next match - 10th seed Nicolas Almgaro or David Goffin. Miami drawsheet.
- - GASQUET 6-3 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Gasquet is quick to set up three match points, Youzhny hitting into the net to help the Frenchman to that point. The first is squandered on a complete mis-hit, the ball travelling far further up into the air than it does forward in the right direction. But he quickly makes amends, Youzhny returning long off a huge first serve from the Frenchman.
- - GASQUET 6-3 5-4 - BREAK! Youzhny tries to come in behind an ill-advised approach shot down the line but Gasquet easily picks off the cross court backhand passing shot winner to earn himself three break points. Youzhny saves the first with a much more tactically astute point. But he slaps down a double fault on the second and Gasquet will have a chance to serve out the set after the change of ends.
- - GASQUET 6-3 4-4 - Gasquet gets a time violation, just a warning this time, after taking more than the allowed 25 seconds between points. But it was clearly worth the risk for the Frenchman as he rattles off three straight points to hold and stop the run of four straight games against him.
- - GASQUET 6-3 3-4 - A couple of thoughtless errors from Youzhny hand Gasquet two immediate break back points. The Russian saves the first with a forehand winner that catches the very back of the line and then saves the second with an ace. Gasquet earns himself a third chance with a huge topspin backhand across court followed by an easy forehand volley winner. Again Youzhny saves it, a forehand volley winner of his own, before going on to hold and sneak out in front of the first time.
- - GASQUET 6-3 3-3 - BREAK! Gasquet goes 0-40 down against serve before he finally puts in a better point, the kind of which we were seeing in the first set and a half. He works Youzhny around the baseline before eventually stretching the Russian too far and finding an off-forehand winner across court. But saving all three is beyond the Frenchman as Youzhny easily reads his high, kicking serve and sends his return back over the net with interest. It's back on serve in this second set.
- - GASQUET 6-3 3-2 - Youzhny is looking like more of a factor in this match again now as he eases through a service hold to 15 when Gasquet sends another lob long of the baseline, this time well long. The Frenchman is looking a little tired at the moment, while Youzhny is looking much the fresher of the pair.
- - GASQUET 6-3 3-1 - BREAK! Youzhny steps inside the baseline to a shorter ball from Gasquet and duly dispatches it for a forehand winner down the line to bring up two points to get one of the breaks back at least. And that is exactly what the Russian does, playing Gasquet at his own game - getting ball after ball after ball back to push the Frenchman out of position and leave the court open for the inside-out cross-court forehand winner.
- - GASQUET 6-3 3-0 - BREAK! Youzhny slaps a backhand long followed by a forehand long on consecutive points, before unleashing a scream of frustration, the latest error leaves him 0-40 down. It seems to work too as he saves the first break point when Gasquet hits a backhand into the net. He can do nothing about the second though, Gasquet working his way into the net and bossing the rally to secure the break. Youzhny smashes his racquet on the floor in disgust and earns a warning for his trouble.
- - GASQUET 6-3 2-0 - After a double fault leaves him 0-30 down, Gasquet finds himself stranded in the middle of the court. He plays a nice half-volley forehand drop shot to draw Youzhny up to the net before tracking back to riffle a forehand passing shot winner across court. The Frenchman completes his comeback in the game with an ace before holding when Youzhny nets a forehand. Gasquet completely in control now and looking very confident.
- - GASQUET 6-3 1-0 - BREAK! Given how far Gasquet is playing behind the baseline (10 to 12 feet) it is incredible the length he is getting on his shots today as he turns defence into attack with a mid-court forehand and smash winner. The Frenchman then unleashes a trademark single handed backhand winner to go 0-40 up before breaking when Youzhny hits into the net to concede his serve. Don't be surprised if we see some fireworks from the Russian soon.
- - GASQUET 6-3 - SET! Gasquet seals 37 minutes of quality tennis with his first ace of the day, wrapping up the set with it. Youzhny challenges it but the ball comfortably caught the line.
- - GASQUET 5-3 - Youzhny races through a love service hold to force Gasquet to serve out the set, firing down his third ace of the day to complete the game.
- - GASQUET 5-2 - A big serve out wide on to the sideline followed by a crisp backhand volley winner demonstrates exactly what Gasquet is all about as he eases to a couple of game points to consolidate the break. He only needs the one though and makes another trip into the net to seal the game and leave Youzhny serving to stay in this opening set.
- - GASQUET 4-2 - BREAK! Youzhny is furious with himself after dumping a forehand into the bottom of the net to hand Gasquet a break point. The Russian gives himself a second talking to after saving it with a trip into the net and forcing Gasquet to go long with a lob attempt. But he hits a forehand long, well challenged by Gasquet after the lack of a call, to hand the Frenchman a second chance and this time he gifts away his serve, again hitting long.
- - GASQUET 3-2 - The Russian does all the hard work only on a first break point and sets it up beautiful with a sliced backhand deep towards the baseline but he cannot pull off the final shot, thumping a backhand wide down the line but he goes back to exactly the same spot and this time pulls it off to earn himself a second chance. Sensational! This time it's a backhand volley that lets him down and Gasquet goes on to hold with a deft forehand drop shot volley winner.
- - GASQUET 2-2 - Gasquet gets Youzhny well out of position on the backhand wing, the Russian actually with his back to the net almost as he plays the ball, before dinking a neat sliced backhand drop shot across court for the winner. High quality stuff from the Frenchman there. But, in spite of a forehand just long down the centre of the court on the next point, Youzhny goes on to hold again without a minimum of fuss.
- - GASQUET 2-1 - Youzhny rattles a forehand down the line to comfortably beat Gasquet for pace, leaving the Frenchman flailing in search of the ball. But it is Youzhny's only point of the game as Gasquet once again holds to 15. Both players looking very settled early on behind serve in this match
- - GASQUET 1-1 - This is a bit of an old-school match with both players frequently making trips into the net. And Youzhny provides the first such moment in just the second game, emphatically cutting off an attempted forehand passing shot down the line from Gasquet and putting his crisp backhand volley across into the open court for a winner. The Russian also holds to 15 to open his account.
- - GASQUET 1-0 - Gasquet eases through an opening service hold to 15 to get this match underway, battering down a series of big first serves the majority of which Youzhny struggles to get back in play.
|Date of Birth||18/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||25/06/1982|