|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - MURRAY 1-6 2-6 – GAME SET AND MATCH WAWRINKA! This could be over very very quickly as Stan’s returns prove too much for Murray, who is 15-30 now. And a shocking forehand about a yard wide with Stan stranded means Murray is staring down two match points! He saves the first, but not the second as a weak backhand ends his tournament. It’s a shock but not if you’ve seen the match. Drawsheet
- - MURRAY 1-6 2-5 – The way he’s been playing Wawrinka was never going to let that break slip, killing off Murray with some supreme first serves. Murray serves to stay in the match.
- - MURRAY 1-6 2-4 – BREAK! Brilliant work from the baseline by Wawrinka, this time the forehand landing well beyond a stretching Murray for 15-30. Murray decides to start imposing himself on points and dominates the next one before attacking the net with a volley away. But a break point thanks to a majestic forehand winner down the line! Wawrinka is on fire. Can Murray save it? No! He should have but an unforced error throws it away, volleying long after giving Stan the runaround!
- - MURRAY 1-6 2-3 – Murray skews a dipping forehand just wide, challenging but seeing the original decision upheld. Still difficult to make inroads on the Stan serve, as the Swiss blasts 40-0. Murray pulls one back with a fabulous running point, but a cool backhand from Wawrinka seals the hold.
- - MURRAY 1-6 2-2 – Murray slides to 15-30 on serve as that distraction rears its head again. Fortunately for him Stan makes an unforced error to level. But it’s a break point to Wawrinka as Murray finds net with a weak follow-through on an inviting forehand. Great first serve though and it’s deuce. Murray is going to have to step it up and scrap to the death if he’s going to win this. He finishes the game off with a brave rush to net and volleyed smash away, created by a cute drop shot. Better.
- - MURRAY 1-6 1-2 – While Murray has sorted himself out, Stan is still strong and clean on serve as he holds comfortably.
- - MURRAY 1-6 1-1 – Murray finally wins a good point and indeed seems to have sorted himself out by powering his way to 40-0. Wawrinka does pull one back with a crisp volley, he’s reading Murray’s movement very well, but Murray does hold off second serve as the Swiss spanks his return to Italy.
- - MURRAY 1-6 0-1 – Easy, powerful hold from Wawrinka. Murray needs to snap out of this.
- - MURRAY 1-6 – SET WAWRINKA! Murray serving to stay in the set but he seems to be willing it to end, falling 0-30 then chucking up a terrible first serve. He manages to work a decent point off the second, but it’s three set points as he can’t direct a backhand over the net following a change of pace by Stan. Murray does pull one back off second serve, his follow-up too much for Stan, but the set is Wawrinka’s as Murray backhands wide after another chance of speed on the forehand.
- - MURRAY 1-5 – Far too easy a hold for Wawrinka, who dropped the first point but then bullied Murray, who reminds me of the Murray of old, stomping around moodily.
- - MURRAY 1-4 – BREAK! Murray appears only half-interested at the moment, having started so brightly he is now two breaks down as Wawrinka hunts him down with power and precision. Looks like the first set has been written off by the Briton!
- - MURRAY 1-3 – Murray drops a forehand from deep a touch too short, allowing Wawrinka to knock it past him for game point. The Scot’s next return is long, and Stan defends the break.
- - MURRAY 1-2 – BREAK! Deary me. Murray seems distracted by blowing that chance to break and he slips three break points behind with a lazy forehand wide and long! Snap out of it man! He pulls one back as Stan backhands wide, and now 30-40 as a fine second serve draws an overhit return. But Murray hits a woeful forehand into the net, almost along the clay to be honest, and the break is the Swiss’s.
- - MURRAY 1-1 – Murray spurns two break points in the end as he nets one forehand, an unforced error, before hitting his next return long. Annoyed, he toys with challenging but declines.
- - MURRAY 1-0 – Murray is a point up against Stan’s serve and should be two here but a fabulous volley meets his drop shot and it’s level. But the Swiss is forced on to second serve at 30-30 and Murray dictates the rally, eventually winning it as the Swiss’s volley lands short. Break point Murray... Saved as his return spins up in the air to bring a Wawrinka smash. Break point again after a heavy running point, which suits Murray... Saved off first serve, back on deuce.
- - MURRAY 1-0 - Wawrinka with a nice flat return to bring Murray back to 40-30 but the world number two holds as his powerful forehand off the right baseline is pinged long by the Swiss.
- - Murray faces Wawrinka on Court Central next, with the Briton leading his friend 8-4 in the head-to-head. Stan is a decent shout on clay though so this could be a close one!
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|
|Date of Birth||15/05/1987|