|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
|J Del Potro||4||6||6||-||-|
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-6 6-7(4) – GAME SET AND MATCH! Two match points for Nieminen as he buries one following the changeover. A testing rally now and from a position of strength Del Potro chucks away the match by pinging a forehand winner wide! Game set and match Nieminen! Major upset no.3 today!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-6 6-6 (4-5) – Nieminen now falls behind for the first time this TB but he levels to make it 4-4 on his serve. A chance to move two ahead... he takes the first one with a super double-backhand off a DelPo drop shot, and there’s an end change now to heighten the suspense.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-6 6-6 (3-3) – First blood Nieminen as he powers a volley away after both came to net. 2-0 to the Finn, a mini-break. And Del Potro smacks one long for 3-0! And now Nieminen is on serve for two points! DelPo pulls back one of the mini-breaks with a booming forehand, and the second as the Finn mis-hits a forehand into the crowd. 3-2, DelPo back on serve. Even again as DelPo's killer forehand sees Nieminen spin his wide.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-6 6-6 – Tense points will follow with this game poised at 30-30. First serve to net, and Del Potro stares down match point as his follow-up is weak, tired and low to the net! Nieminen on the brink... Saved, DelPo getting his act together in time. And game point with a marvellous volley at the net, great agility to switch to the backhand under pressure. And the tie-breaker as Nieminen goes long.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-6 5-6 – A DelPo return lands well out and Nieminen has game point, which he takes with a delightful backhand slice, from deep, across the net and dropping just past. DelPo stunned and to serve to force a tie-break, or go out!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 5-5 – BREAK BACK! Del Potro serves for the match but Nieminen manages to move 30-0 ahead! DelPo goes for a more attacking follow-up, which pays off as Jarkko nets. But an amazing piece of play by Nieminen gives him two break points! DelPo gave him the runaround yet somehow, against all odds, he kept it in play before exploiting a poor baseline drive to crunch a forehand winner down the line!!! And he takes them with another incredible winner, diagonal across DelPo and away!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 5-4 – BREAK! Del Potro comes out firing on all cylinders and he has a sniff with break point, but Nieminen passes him with a superbly disguised forehand for deuce. He saves another break point thanks to some energetic baseline play, now a lengthy rally that Del Potro again takes, a swooping forehand drive for a third break point... Which he takes as Nieminen cracks under the pressure. Serving for the match.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 4-4 – Del Potro holds without too much fuss, meaning it’s neck-and-neck going into the final stages of this ding-dong affair.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 3-4 – BREAK BACK! Del Potro won’t go down without a fight, smashing away a double-handed crosscourter for deuce. He makes light work of a weak second serve and, via the net, Jarkko goes wide and it’s break-back point! TAKEN as a panicky Nieminen smacks one long!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-4 – BREAK! DelPo slips to 0-30 and could be in trouble on second serve... He is, as Nieminen’s flat return draws a terrible mistake, spooning it up in the air. Three break points at a crucial part of the match! And they’re taken, Nieminen in front!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-3 – This game is equally tight as Del Potro scrambles to deuce. Nieminen has advantage, and he takes it as DelPo fails to return in court. Has the tide turned again?
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-2 – BREAK! Having been in such a commanding position, another DelPo error hands Nieminen break point. Can the Finn capitalise this time? First serve is wide... Second is good and he follows up with a superb backhand across court and away. Great shot by Del Potro, but he fails to follow them up and Nieminen steals the break!
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-1 – Nieminen unleashes a fabulous return to get the crowd going. Del Potro is popular enough but the French love an underdog. It’s on deuce now as the Finn senses a way back into this match. But a fine second serve is returned to net and Del Potro has a chance to defend his break... He fails though, an unforced error off second serve seeing him chuck his racquet to the clay in disgust.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-1 – Nieminen, in danger of letting this match run away from him, manages to hold serve. But can he break back?
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 2-0 BREAK (and hold): Del Potro moves to a 30-0 lead against serve in this decider but Nieminen pulls one back with a super forehand off the right baseline. Del Potro breaks though, and defends it well to move ahead.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 6-4 – SET DEL POTRO! DelPo whacks himself on the head with his racquet after dropping a point. And he lets Nieminen get to him as the Finn has a break point! But he channels the anger well to fizz one past him for deuce. And now set point, which DelPo takes with a fabulous backhand that Nieminen – having done really well to return prior shots in that rally – cannot get over.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 5-4 – Nieminen makes DelPo serve out the set with a solid hold to 30 after an early scare.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 5-3 – Nieminen moves 30-15 against the DelPo serve but a monster delivery levels. DelPo hits one long, thinks about challenging but accepts break point, which he saves with a brutal serve down the middle. Another break point as his next follow-up is wide, but Nieminen can’t take it... And after all that DelPo rallies to hold with two big serves.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-3 – Nieminen holds serve to stay within touching distance of Del Potro.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 4-2 – Nieminen with a fantastic winner from deep to leave DelPo stunned. 15-15 but a massive serve puts the Argentine in front again. He should go on to hold but double-faults to 40-30, holding with the next effort though.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 3-2 – Nieminen pulls one back with his next service game. As he showed in the first set he is more than capable of nabbing multiple breaks off DelPo.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 3-1 – DelPo moves 30-0 but Nieminen rallies to level. He somehow stays alive on the next point but DelPo pumps a booming forehand beyond him. And DelPo holds to defend that break.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 2-1 – BREAK! Great stuff from DelPo as he bombards the Finn before moving into two break points with a superb backhand down the line. And he seals the overhaul to move ahead in the second set.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 1-1 – Both men hold to kick off the second set. DelPo looks a touch more sprightly now.
- - DEL POTRO 4-6 – BREAK AND SET NIEMINEN! Set point to Nieminen as he drops a wicked winner beyond a stunned DelPo! Can he break back to take the set? He can a s a brilliant forehand flies down the line! DelPo nowhere near it!
- - DEL POTRO 4-5 – BREAK! Level at 30 after an unforced error from Nieminen is met by groans from the crowd, who want this to be longer than earlier matches today. Best way for that to happen is for Nieminen to take the opener – but a lovely swooping forehand into the corner brings up break point! ACE for deuce. But break point again as Niemnen hits out... and he spins another forehand wide to relinquish his advantage at the death.
- - DEL POTRO 3-5 – DelPo keeps Nieminen honest, holding with one of his better service games, but the Finn is serving for the opening set!
- - DEL POTRO 2-5 – Del Potro holds but then so does Nieminen, meaning the Argentine is serving to stay in the set. Change of ends before the vital game.
- - DEL POTRO 1-4 – DelPo is arguing with the umpire, in Spanish, about an errant call that sees him fall to 40-0. "Yo te creo" the umpire says, explaining that he believes Juan Martin but cannot override the call so late. Nieminen is not distracted by that interlude as he holds to love with a vicious ace.
- - DEL POTRO 1-3 – DelPo stops the rot by holding for his first game of the day. Relatively comfortable for him but he’s barely been in it so far.
- - DEL POTRO 0-3 – Solid hold from Nieminen to defend that break. Can DelPo turn this set around?
- - DEL POTRO 0-2 – BREAK! Some cracking rallies early in this match as Nieminen deceives DelPo with a super backhand drive across the net into the narrowest of spaces. And the Finn shows it was no fluke by bombarding his higher-ranked opponent for the first break!
- - DEL POTRO 0-1 – This match is underway, the last on Court des Prince, and Nieminen holds to kick things off.
|Date of Birth||23/07/1981|
|Date of Birth||23/09/1988|