|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - What a match! A true epic that Russia claim in the end, despite some heroic late play from Ward in the 14th game of the fifth set. Thanks for joining us.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 6-8 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Donskoy gets to match point but a wonderful recovery from Ward on a point that seemed lost pulls things back to deuce. The Brit then attacks the net and volleys home to set up a break point of his own! He can't take it though as he drags a backhand wide and the chance is lost. Donskoy again gets to match point before Ward again pulls out a wonder shot to save it! But there's nothing he can do when he faces a third match point and Russia seal victory!
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 6-7 - BREAK! Ward flips a backhand long and a point later Donskoy pulls out a brilliant backhand crosscourt winner to go 40-0 up and set up three break points! Ward saves the first one, but on the second he fires a forehand wide and Russia have a crucial break! Three hours and 36 minutes this one has lasted so far and Donskoy will now serve for the match.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 6-6 - Donskoy has nerves of steel! Ward returns into the net a couple of times and you can hear a pin drop inside the arena!
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 6-5 - Ward upholds his end of the bargain and holds, sending the Coventry crowd wild. Britain now have another chance to break and claim the match!
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 5-5 - Ward has the crowd excited again with a couple of leads in the game but that match-winning break never comes: Donskoy holds from deuce.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 5-4 - Donskoy holds again, but Ward makes it nine service games in the set with a tense hold to 30. He could snatch it a break up next.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 4-3 - Stunning winner with curve by Ward rescues a break point and good power on the two-hand backhand snuffs out another from deuce. After a lengthy back-and-forth struggle Ward gets another advantage and converts it with an insane lob rescue from out of nowhere!
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 3-3 - Again the Russian holds serve. A reminder that there will be no tie-break in this set if it goes to 6-6. Two clear from there will clinch the rubber.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 3-2 - Ward makes it two straight spotless service games. This one was even better than the last featuring two neat winners after Donskoy barely returns the serves.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 2-2 - Things remain with the serve despite that as Donskoy again holds with command.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 2-1 - Much better this time around as a confident hold to love shows Ward has some energy tucked away still.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 1-1 - Donskoy holds serve as well. Crisp stuff which continues to bode bad omens for Ward halting momentum and taking this final set having just held on in game one.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 1-0 - Laborious start to the final set from both men but Ward is able to put the power into his serve which snatches the hold.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-6 - SET! - Ward keeps on fighting, forcing deuce in the face of a set point and then beating off another two from there, only to be forced out after a long rally as Donskoy converts set point four. Deciding set, here we come.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 3-5 - Ward holds serve to stay alive in the set for now but the Russian will now serve for 2-2.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 2-5 - Donskoy needs one more game for 2-2 from two down after another hold of serve. The way he is playing now, it's hard to see us not heading to set five.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 2-4 - A brilliant rescue point from Donskoy makes it 15-30 but cannot prevent a hold to 15 as Ward stops the rot a little. He's still facing an uphill battle to end this in four, however.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 1-4 - Donskoy quickly solidifies his advantage with another hold and it's starting to get grizzly for Ward...
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 1-3 - BREAK! - A late capitulation of service for Ward and Donskoy goes a break up. He'll be smelling that deciding set having gone 2-0 down.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 1-2 - Bright start against the grain from Ward to return two points but once Donskoy finds his rhythm again, the game is his. Four quick and powerful points prevent a mini disaster with ball in hand.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 1-1 - Ward fires back with a hold of his own, however, as the set starts off cautiously enough.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 0-1 - Donskoy is pegged back to 30-30 but holds from there to start the fourth set.
- - Two hours and seven minutes played over three sets thus far.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-7 - SET! - Fantastic see-saw game as Ward fails to take a hold point, dodges an initial set point from deuce and saves another after coming up short on possibly the best rally of the contest so far. A brave forehand winner scuppers a third set point but the Russian finally lands the break for the third set at deuce five.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-6 - The crowd at the Ricoh begin to generate some decent noise as Ward returns Donskoy's first serve in game 11, but the Russian has the power to keep Ward out of the running from there and holds to 15. Once again, Donskoy can break to pull a set back while Ward will try to hold for a possible match-winning tie-break.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 5-5 - To the Brit's credit, Ward does not give Donskoy a sniff of finding that kind of opening and holds with authority, to 15.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 4-5 - Donskoy once again holds despite late resistence from Ward and he now has the incentive of pulling a set back by snaring a break in the 10th game.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 4-4 - Ward shakes off an uncertain start to serve and powers his way to a hold to 30. For the third time, the two remain tight heading into the tail end of the set.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 3-4 - Ward lifts a lovely winner over the approaching Donskoy to set up a double break point after hanging in there during a great rally. The Russian pulls both back for deuce, however, and Ward nets another break point before Donskoy finally holds in a game the Brit knows he should have taken.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 3-3 - Ward races into a 40-0 lead before stretching Donskoy well enough in a fourth-point rally to land the love-service winner.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 2-3 - Staying resolute following the rough start to the set appeared to be paying off for Donskoy as he cruised to a triple hold point but Ward threatens a wobble with two good returns. The Russian eventually holds to 30 to lead in set three for the first time.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 2-2 - BREAK! - Tame service after a good first point allows Donskoy to create a double break point, but Ward responds to the urgency to force deuce. He nets the first advantage point and overhits after earning a second, while the Russian makes no mistake on deuce three to earn the break back.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 2-1 - Donskoy drops the first service point of game three but comes back with a lovely forehand winner before forcing three straight errors for the hold.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 2-0 - Ward's tail is well and truly up in the air now. A dazzling mix of backhands and drop shots are capped by an ace for a hold to 15. Donskoy cannot afford to let the current momentum get him down or else this will be over shortly.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 1-0 - BREAK! And with one set required now for a great win, Ward begins with a fantastic break to 30. Donskoy began well, luring the Brit into net approach winners, but Ward continues to find ways to stretch him on the return.
- - WARD 6-4 6-4 - SET WARD!! Another set point for Ward as Donskoy hugely overhits a return... First serve to net - and a dreadful smash from Donskoy gifts the Briton the second set! Ward was all over the place and should have been punished but instead he has a two-set lead!
- - WARD 6-4 5-4 - Ward should have brought up two set points but he overhit a forehand past the line and now a rotten effort spoons all the way to Birmingham! Unforced error with an easy two-handed backhand, but he levels at deuce with a superb point at the net, won with two cool volleys in succession. Cracking serve down the middle for set point - but he again overcooks a backhand for deuce.
- - WARD 6-4 5-4 - Donskoy scraps his way to a hold, taking it to 15 as Ward find the net with a diving forehand before an ace down the middle. Ward to serve for the second set.
- - WARD 6-4 5-3 - Ward appears to be holding himself together nicely and he holds comfortably. He just needs to close this out now.
- - WARD 6-4 4-3 - Decent hold for Donskoy although the momentum is very much with Ward. If he keeps his head he will have a two set lead that - even though Donskoy is a top 100 player - will be hard to overcome with the British crowd behind him.
- - WARD 6-4 4-2 - A dreadful backhand slice from Ward lands well wide, no idea what he was doing there, and he drops 0-30. ACE down the middle. He can serve, that's for sure. Now a baseline duel that Ward shades as Donskoy cracks first. Never confident with Ward when it goes past five or six shots. Another monster delivery down the middle is somehow returned by Donskoy but Ward buries the approach shot. And he holds from a sticky position as the Russian returns long.
- - WARD 6-4 3-2 - The duo trade blows until a Donskoy second serve sees Ward overhit his return to help the Russian hold. He does tend to get under his forehands at times.
- - WARD 6-4 3-1 - Ward's turn to beat back some fine retrieving from his opponent and he holds to 15.
- - WARD 6-4 2-1 - Donskoy resists some fantastic retrieving by Ward to move 30-0 and he gets off the board in this second set with a hold to 15.
- - WARD 6-4 2-0 - Ward defends that break with an imperious hold to love. Can his stamina hold out? He has been by far the better player.
- - WARD 6-4 1-0 - BREAK WARD!! Fantastic start to the second set for Ward as he dominates the serving Donskoy from the baseline before crushing a forehand down the line. The Russian finds the net and it's 0-40 as Donskoy hits another wild backhand well beyond the baseline!! Donskoy pulls one back as Ward returns long, but the break is the Brit's as his next return is too much for the Russian! Another break!
- - WARD 6-4 - SET WARD! Donskoy nabs the first point and a long rally ensues as the Russian shows great determination at the baseline. Ward is controlling it though and finally Donskoy cracks. Then a cracking serve out wide puts Ward ahead, and he goes on to hold and claim the first set with two similarly violent serves. Excellent stuff from the Brit.
- - WARD 5-4 - BREAK!! What a response from Ward! A wild forehand from the Russian edges Ward 30-15 ahead, and Donskoy is left for dead with a forehand down the line for two break points! ACE down the middle for 30-40, and it's deuce after another crisp first serve sets up a fine approach shot. Another break point as the Russian backhands long... and some super retrieving draws another backhand error and Ward is serving for the set!
- - WARD 4-4 - BREAK BACK! A fantastic return from Donskoy draws Ward into a slugfest and he overhits a forehand for 0-30! Real chance here for the Russian to break back, and he has three break points after somehow meeting a so-so Ward smash with a superb flying half-volley across the net! Ward pulls one back as he comes to net aggressively, and another with and ace down the middle. But he tosses in a double fault and Donskoy has broken back.
- - WARD 4-3 - A fine crosscourt forehand winner starts this service game nicely for Donskoy, who goes 40-0 as Ward overhits a scooped forehand from deep. Comfortable hold for the Russian in the end.
- - WARD 4-2 - Ward continues to serve well as he aces his way to 40-0, that one a rapid delivery down the middle. On second serve for the decisive point but Donskoy gets something on it, landing it just short of the baseline to surprise Ward. The Englishman holds as his dropping backhand proves too much for the Russian.
- - WARD 3-2 -Ward has a chance to go 30-0 on Donskoy's serve but, after doing well to stay in the point, shanks a backhand to net. Now it's 40-15 but a fine forehand winner fizzes away from the Russian, who does hold in the end as Ward slips.
- - WARD 3-1 - Some more crisp deliveries from Ward, who holds to 15 with a superb second-serve out wide. The boy can play but he can also crack under pressure, both physical and mental. Let's see if he can go the distance in this best of five.
- - WARD 2-1 - Donskoy gets on the board with a hard-earned hold to 30, the winning shot a vicious forehand off the right. Ward is all smiles as he takes a drink.
- - WARD 2-0 - Ward defends his opening break to love with a masterful display of serving. Excellent start for the Londoner.
- - WARD 1-0 - BREAK! Ward hitting the ball with some relish as he recovers from trailing to force deuce. A blistering Ward forehand brings up the chance for him to convert a winning volley at the net. Suddenly a break point for GB. But Donskoy closes the door with a couple of well-placed groundstrokes. However Ward sticks with it as the ball drops over the net from deep, taking a lucky touch en route. Spot of luck, but a dream start for the GB man.
- - WARD 0-0 - Donskoy throws down the opening serve of the match.
- - Welcome back. The Russians looking very relaxed after Dmitry Tursunov's five-set win over Dan Evans in four hours in an epic opening rubber. Crucial that GB hit back here with Jamie Ward meeting Evgeny Donskoy on court now warming up as he aims to level matters overall.
|Date of Birth||09/02/1987|
|Date of Birth||09/05/1990|