|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it's Voegele who is through to the second round, where she will face Kaia Kanepi, the Estonian seeing off 23rd seeded Klara Zakopalova 7-6(3) 6-2 earlier this morning.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 4-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Really gutsy stuff from Watson on her return from glandular fever but in the end she didn't quite have enough to eek out the win, Voegele serving it out at the first attempt when the Brit went wide across court with a forehand.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 4-5 - Watson appears to be on her way to a love service hold before a great drop shot and forehand volley winner from Voegele gets a point on the board. Watson then misses a forehand down the line to put pressure on herself at 40-30. But a great first serve from the Brit, which Voegele can only net in return, sees her hold and force Voegele to step up and serve for the match after the change of ends.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 3-5 - And from there Voegele goes on to hold without facing another break point, a backhand going wide down the line from Watson. The Brit will have to serve to stay in the match next.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 3-4 - A fantastic cross court forehand winner from Watson denies Voegele on a game point after she had not quite got the ball up before the double bounce on the previous point after Voegele's backhand had caught the top of the tape and gone for a great drop shot. Another forehand winner down the line, on the run from Watson, brings up a third break point. But again Voegele saves it, a cross court backhand doing the damage for the Swiss.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 3-4 - Watson nails a forehand return of serve winner down the line to bring up a break back point, but she can't quite take advantage of it with a change-of-direction forehand just wide down the line. A gutsy backhand winner down the line from Watson brings up a second chance to break but Voegele saves it with a cross court forehand that the Brit can only net in reply. Back to deuce...
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 3-4 - Watson squanders a first game point with a sliced backhand long of the baseline but she holds on the next point, to 30, with an inside-out cross court forehand winner which she lands right on the baseline.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 2-4 - Voegele looks on her way to another love service hold only for Watson to run around a second serve and batter a forehand return winner across court. But the Swiss player quickly makes amends and holds for the loss of no more points when Watson goes long.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 2-3 - Fantastic from Watson as she posts a love service hold of her own to stick with Voegele. Another couple of forehand winners from the Brit, combined with a netted forehand from Voegele, bring up the three game points before Watson holds with a backhand drive volley winner down the line.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 1-3 - A love service hold from Voegele helps her maintain the break advantage without too much trouble. We're reaching crunch point for Watson in this final set.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 1-2 - Watson finds herself another break point down but saves it with an inch-perfect forehand winner down the line before earning herself a game point with a forehand winner across court. And it's another forehand that does the damage for Watson as Voegele goes wide with her forehand reply to help the Brit hold.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 0-2 - Voegele races through a quick and easy service hold to consoildate that early break in this final set. Watson looks frustrated and is rushing her shots as a result - a must-win service game coming up for the Brit now.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 0-1 - BREAK! Despite Voegele taking a lengthy bathroom break between sets, Watson makes a positive start to her serve only to throw in a couple of poor errors to allow her opponent back into proceedings. A forehand into the net from Watson hands Voegele a break point before a forehand just marginally wide across court hands the Swiss player the game. Watson is unconvinced gets the umpire down and is still clearly unsure about the call. She needs to let that one go, and quickly.
- - WATSON 4-6 6-2 - SET! Terrific effort from Watson as she breaks again to seal the second set and level this match at one set apeice. Watson clatters a backhand return of serve down the line for a winner to bring up two set points before Voegele folds with a double fault.
- - WATSON 4-6 5-2 - Watson comfortably holds to 15 again to consolidate the break this time, the Brit finding a service winner to seal the game and leave Voegele serving to stay in this set after the change of ends.
- - WATSON 4-6 4-2 - BREAK! The crowd are getting a little excited now as Watson thumps another forehand winner down the line on her way to re-establish her break advantage in this second set. Can she hold on to it this time though?
- - WATSON 4-6 3-2 - Watson holds for the loss of just the one point to get her serve working again. Much better from the Brit, who is nothing if not determined.
- - WATSON 4-6 2-2 - Watson wallops a running forehand down the line to level at deuce before earning herself another break point opportunity when Voegele goes wide across court with a forehand. The Swiss saves it though before going on to hold with a forehand winner of her own.
- - WATSON 4-6 2-1 - BREAK! Ouch. A couple of forehand errors and a double fault from Watson and Voegele quickly has three break back points. The Brit saves the first with a forehand winner down the line off a shorter ball and then also the second with a huge forehand winner across court. But the Swiss player does break at the third attempt with a length forehand that Watson can only net in response.
- - WATSON 4-6 2-0 - BREAK! Fantastic battling stuff from Watson as she breaks with a blistering backhand winner down the line to complete change the momentum early in this second set.
- - WATSON 4-6 1-0 - A great hold from Watson in the end, although she perhaps gets a little lucky when Voegele suddenly doesn't go after the second serve, something she has been doing to great effect so far today. But she drops her return short this time and Watson is able to smack it away for a forehand winner to hold.
- - WATSON 4-6 0-0 - Watson easily gets up to a drop shot from Voegele and puts her backhand away for a winner. But the Swiss player is quick to earn herself another break point with a bakchand return winner. Watson saves it with a much better second serve before earning herself a game point with a backhand volley winner after a blistering backhand approach shot across court. The chance goes begging though and Voegele has a second break point after a cross court forehand wide from Watson ...
- - WATSON 4-6 - SET! Frustration for Watson as Voegele serves out the set. The Brit again denied Voegele on a first set point but could do nothing about the second, sending a fairly routine forehand long down the centre of the court to concede.
- - WATSON 4-5 - Watson saves a couple of break points, the second with a blistering cross court forehand winner before earning herself a game point. She is unable to take advantage of it when her forehand goes into the net but she gets a second chance when Voegele sends a forehand return wide across court. And this time Watson does hold when Voegele misses another cross court forehand. She will have to serve out this set.
- - WATSON 3-5 - A second love service hold (Watson netting her return) in a row for Voegele as she leaves Watson serving to stay in this opening set.
- - WATSON 3-4 - Watson attempts to spur herself on with a yell after finding her first ace to open the game. And although she drops the next point after a great return from Voegele, the Brit does go on to hold without the loss of any more points and keep the deficit down to just the one break.
- - WATSON 2-4 - Voegele holds to love with a low cross court forehand that Watson can only return into the net on the slide. That consolidates the break for the Swiss player who is firmly in control of this first set now.
- - WATSON 2-3 - BREAK! A slow second serve from the Brit is given the treatment as Voegele thumps a backhand return winner down the line on her way to earning herself a break, which she seals when Watson goes wide across court with a forehand.
- - WATSON 2-2 - Watson pegs Voegele back from 40-0 to deuce but can't quite fashion herself a break point and instead the Swiss player holds to level up once more.
- - WATSON 2-1 - A love service game for Watson heading into the first sit-down. A very confident start from the Brit again someone who has never won a main draw match at Roland Garros.
- - WATSON 1-1 - Voegele also holds to get her side of the scoreboard ticking over, despite opening with a double fault which won't have done much to help her confidence.
- - WATSON 1-0 - A solid opening service hold from Watson to open her account, the 21-year-old holding to 30 with a forehand down the line that Voegele cannot deal with.
- - Watson lost in straight sets when they met in a few weeks ago in Memphis, the Brit having just returned from glandular fever. More encouraging for Watson will be the fact that their only previous meeting on clay, at the French Open in 2011, saw the Brit triumph in straight sets.
- - Heather Watson is out on court and just about ready to go in her clash with Switzerland's Stefanie Voegele. These two have faced each other twice before with the head-to-heads split down the middle at one win apeice.
|Date of Birth||10/03/1990|
|Date of Birth||19/05/1992|