|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 6-3 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal becomes the first man in history to win any of the Slams eight times as he finds a blistering forehand winner to seal the title!
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 5-3 - Nadal drops the first point of the game as he often does but takes the second when Ferrer hits long. And Nadal hands THREE CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS when Ferrer goes just long with a cross court forehand...
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 5-3 - BREAK! Nadal levels at 30-30 with a vicious forehand winner before a forehand long from Ferrer gifts Nadal another break point. Ferrer saves it with a huge winner down the line but another forehand long hands Nadal a second chance. And a fifth double fault from Ferrer hands Nadal the break, and a chance to serve out the match.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 4-3 - Ferrer takes the first point of the game when Nadal sends a forehand long but the older Spaniard nets a backhand to allow Nadal off the mark. The defending champion goes long with a cross court backhand though. 15-30. A backhand into the net hands Ferrer a break point although Ferrer hits long to squander it. And Nadal goes on to hold when Ferrer goes long with a cross court forehand.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 3-3 - Ferrer earns himself a game point with a forehand winner before a big first serve that Nadal can only net in return sees the older Spaniard hold to level up once again in this third set.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 3-2 - Pretty emphatic service game from Nadal as he holds for the loss of just the one point, firing down his fifth ace of the day to seal the hold and steady the ship.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 2-2 - Not a long delay at all then as play resumes. Nadal was very quickly out but Ferrer was unsure and had to be persuaded. It is still raining but less hard that at the beginning of the sit down. Despite being unsure, Ferrer holds to love with a great first serve than Nadal can only return long across court off the forehand wing.
- - There will be a short delay in proceedings but umpire Cedric Mourier has told the players it is not expected to be long and so they will not leave the court. They are usually pretty accurate with the radar at Roland Garros so hopefully play will get back underway shortly.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 2-1 - BREAK! The rain is now coming down more heavily than it has done all afternoon. Ferrer breaks back to love when Nadal slaps down a double fault to concede a distracted game. Credit to Ferrer though, he is never one to give up and once again he successfully pegged Nadal back after being broken.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 2-0 - BREAK! Nadal fires down a smash winner, after Ferrer had somehow managed to get back his first smash, on his way to two more break points. But one is all he needs as he dives across to a forehand volley winner down the line to seal the break.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 1-0 - It is starting rain again and umbrellas are going up around the court once again. Nadal holds for the opening game of this third set, sealing it with ease with a unreturnable first serve.
- - There has also been a prostest over on Suzanne Lenglen court apparently, with the consensus being that it is about the recent legalisation of gay marriage in France. We will bring you more news on that as soon as we have any.
- - NADAL 6-3 6-2 - SET! Nadal breaks to love to make amends, in his mind, for failing to serve out that second set. The defending champion was all over the Ferrer serve in that game and an inability to cope with ferocious serves is what ultimately cost the older Spaniard.
- - NADAL 6-3 5-2 - BREAK! A double fault from Nadal hands Ferrer two more break back points. And this time Ferrer does break back, at the first attempt, with a trip into the net and a backhand stop volley winner. He will still have to serve to stay in this second set after the change of ends though.
- - On the plus side, the rain has now stopped!
- - Nadal is about to serve for the second set when a spectator runs across the court with a lit flare. Security arevery quick to get across the court to shield the players and bundle the man off down the tunnel. It takes a few seconds to get the flare out though and then for the rest of the crowd to settle. Nadal and Ferrer also want to shake hands with security and nod at each other to check they are both okay before continuing.
- - NADAL 6-3 5-1 - BREAK! Nadal gets another break chance as Ferrer nets a forehand. But again Nadal is unable to take advantage of it with a forehand long. Ferrer nets a backhand this time to gift Nadal yet another chance. And this time Nadal does break with another awesome forehand winner across court.
- - NADAL 6-3 4-1 40-40 - Nadal takes the opening point of the game with a forehand winner across court. The are boos and jeers around the court as some of the crowd at the back make political chants. Security escorts three or four people out but it takes a while and when play resumes Ferrer goes wide with a backhand down the line to hand Nadal two more break points. The first goes begging with a forehand into the net from Nadal and Ferrer saves the second with an awesome off-forehand across court.
- - NADAL 6-3 4-1 - Four break points went begging for Ferrer in that game as Nadal receovers to hold with a forehand winner and deny his opponent. There's a big service game coming up now for the 31-year-old as he looks to put the disappointment of that game behind him.
- - NADAL 6-3 3-1 40-40 - Ferrer brings up two break back points with a backhand winner across court. Nadal saves the first by working his way up to the net and firing an inside-out forehand winner across court. And he then also saves the second with another forehand winner before an inside-out forehand winner across court brings up a game point. It goes begging as does a second break point for Ferrer and a third when Nadal produces a backhand passing shot winner across court...
- - NADAL 6-3 3-1 - The umbrellas are going up around the court now as the rain continues to get harder. Play is continuing, at least for now, as Ferrer earns himself a game point from deuce with a backhand across court followed by a backhand winner down the line. Nadal denies him before earning a break point with a forehand winner down the line. The chance goes begging with a forehand wide down the opposite line and Ferrer saves a second with a huge forehand across court. Ferrer holds from there.
- - NADAL 6-3 3-0 - With the rain getting heavier the groundstaff are loitering as Nadal finds an angled forehand winner back behind Ferrer to bring up three game points. And he holds to consolidate the break at the first attempt when Ferrer hits an off-balance backhand into the net.
- - NADAL 6-3 2-0 - BREAK! Nadal produces a stunning backhand winner down the line on his way to another break point. And a change-of-direction forehand winner down the opposite line seals the break at the first attempt.
- - NADAL 6-3 1-0 - Ferrer takes the first point of the game when Nadal's forehand catches the top of the tape and drops back on to his side of the net. And he goes on to earn himself an early break point, launching himself into a return that draws the error from Nadal. The chance goes begging with an inside-out forehand into the net across court. And Nadal goes on to hold without facing another break point.
- - NADAL 6-3 - SET! A second double fault of the afternoon from Ferrer bring up two set points for Nadal. But the defending champion only needs the one as Ferrer's attempted backhand down the line hits the net post. Nadal has the first set after just 40 minutes.
- - NADAL 5-3 - A forehand down the line followed by a backhand winner across court sees Ferrer level up at deuce. And the older Spaniard gets a break back point when Nadal's forehand topspin lob goes just long. The defending champion saves it with an inside-out forehand winner across court before going on to hold with a kicking unreturnable serve out wide and this first ace. Ferrer will have to serve to stay in this opening set.
- - NADAL 4-3 - BREAK! Nadal whips a forehand passing shot down the line on his way to bring up two more break points. The first goes begging with a forehand return long and then the second with a forehand just wide across court. But the defending champion is gifted a third chance and this time he does seal the break with a much better forehand.
- - NADAL 3-3 - Nadal races (as much as Nadal can) through a love service hold to level up. A few spots of rain are dotting the court now, there is a shower forecast but hopefully it won't be enough to stop proceedings.
- - NADAL 2-3 - Nadal has a golden opportunity to earn himself another break point with a forehand passing shot down the line, but incredibly he lets Ferrer off the hook by sending the ball long. 30-30. And Ferrer goes on to hold when Nadal catches the top of the tape with an inside-out forehand across court, the ball wobbling before deciding to drop back on to his side of the net.
- - NADAL 2-2 - BREAK! Nadal goes well wide, into the middle of the tramlines, with a backhand down the line and then also wide with a forehand down the line, after running round the ball, to hand Ferrer a break back point. Ferrer squanders it with a backhand return long off a slower second serve. He earns himself a second chance with a great forehand drop shot followed by a backhand passing shot down the line. And this time he does break back, Nadal netting a backhand after a lengthy rally.
- - NADAL 2-1 - BREAK! A tenative shot from Ferrer hands Nadal two early break points. The 27-year-old only needs the one though as Ferrer sends an inside-out forehand approach shot wide across court. That's the early break to Nadal.
- - NADAL 1-1 - Nadal appears to be cruising towards a love service hold of his own when he works his way up to the net and dinks an inside-out forehand drop shot over the net for a winner. Nadal goes long with a forehand to gift Ferrer a point but the defending champion does hold for the loss of just the one point when Ferrer goes just long with a forehand return of serve.
- - NADAL 0-1 - A confident opener from Ferrer as he takes the first point of the game when Nadal sends a forehand long to end a budding rally. And the 31-year-old goes on to hold without any trouble whatsoever, sealing the game with an ace.
14:15 - Right then, here we go. It will be Ferrer to get the clash underway by serving first ...
14:14 - We're just about ready to get underway. Does Ferrer stand any chance? Why not come say hi on Twitter @pippawdavis.
14:08 - Apart from the Acapulco final in February, Nadal's second tournament back, Ferrer has pushed his younger compatriot this year. In Madrid, Ferrer was just a few points away from victory in a second set tie-break befor Nadal stormed back to win the breaker and then the third set without dropping a game. Ferrer also took the middle set in their Rome clash the following week. But still Nadal triumphed.
14:01 - The players walk out on to court, Ferrer gets a decent cheer but it's already clear that Nadal has the bulk of the support from the Philippe Chatrier crowd so far.
13:54 - Don't forget you can watch this match LIVE in HD on British Eurosport or, if you don't have an access to a TV today, you can also follow all the action on the Eurosport Player.
13:52 - "It's the opportunity of my life to be in the final," Ferrer, who has managed it in his 42nd Grand Slam tournament, said. "Defeating Rafa is very difficult on any surface; it's even worse on clay. But once again, I'm going to try to play a beautiful match."
13:51 - "Any person who doesn't respect David as one of the greatest players of the world - and not for one year, for a long time - is a person that doesn't know anything about tennis," Nadal said when asked if Ferrer gets the respect he is due. When I read a few things about the semi-finals, Tsonga against David, people were saying was a good semi-final for Tsonga. I never felt that way. You play best of five on clay against David, it's very, very tough."
13:49 - Add the facts that Nadal has suffered one defeat in 59 matches at Roland Garros, has never lost any of his 13 finals against Spaniards, and is just five behind Argentine Guillermo Vilas's record of 46 career claycourt titles, and the odds are stacked against fourth-seed Ferrer.
13:46 - The statistics do not look good for Ferrer, although he will take some heart from the fact that the last time two Spaniards met in the French Open final, in 2002, Albert Costa was the underdog but defeated Carlos Moya in four sets. Ferrer won his first claycourt clash with Nadal in 2004. Since then he has lost 16 in a row on the surface.
13:41 - "He didn't lose a set during the whole tournament, so he's a player that brings you to the limit," said 11-times Major winner Nadal - who was an unknown 15-year-old when Ferrer began his professional career in 2000. "He's a player that if you are not playing perfect, you will be in big, big trouble."
13:35 - Nadal believes his fellow Spaniard Ferrer could cause him "big, big trouble" today - do you agree? The Valencia-based player has reached the French Open final without dropping a set, and it was a magnificent performance to end a sequence of five defeats in his five previous Grand Slam semi-finals.
13:30 - Welcome to live text commentary of the French Open men's final between seven-time champion Rafael Nadal and first time finalist David Ferrer at Roland Garros.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||02/04/1982|