|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
17:19 - So Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is through to the French Open semi-finals where he will face world number five David Ferrer.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-6 - Federer saves the first with a smash that is perilously close to going out - brave stuff from Federer. But he can do nothing about the second. Federer sends a forehand long of the baseline as his challenge evaporates and it is Tsonga who is through to the semi-finals of the French Open.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-5 15-40 - Federer goes just marginally long with a forehand volley down the line and it hands Tsonga TWO MATCH POINTS...
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-5 - Tsonga comes through a great test when he holds under pressure from Federer. The Frenchman places a forehand winner on the line to go two game points up before a backhand volley across court seals the game. Federer will have to serve to stay in this match, next.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-4 - BREAK! Federer smashes into the net for the opening point of the game, off a very good lob from Tsonga, before also smashing into the net off a less good lob from Tsonga on the third. A netted forehand from Fed then hands Tsonga two more break points. The Frenchman gets a little lucky when his backhand pick-up catches the top of the tape, the net doing enough to take the ball into Federer's body and draw the error. Tsonga is potentially just two games away from the semis!
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-3 - Tsonga is still the boss out on court as he holds for the loss of just one point, firing an inside-out forehand volley across court that Federer can only flick back into the net off the backhand wing.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 3-2 - A low, dipping forehand from Tsonga is volleyed into the net by Federer to hand the Frenchman another break point. Federer saves it with a good first serve that Tsonga can only return wide but another great lob that Fed can only hit into the net hands the Frenchman another chance. Again Tsonga goes wide with a backhand though and Federer goes on to hold with a forehand.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 2-2 - Tsonga does brilliantly well to hold to love and wrestle some of the momentum back from Federer, a sensational pick up from the Frenchman turning into a lob that lands right on the baseline on his way to the hold.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 2-1 - Federer quickly finds himself 0-30 down but battles back before earning himself a game point when Tsonga sends forehand return long. And the world number two takes full advantage of the game point with a dipping backhand passing shot winner.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 1-1- BREAK! Is this the start of something from Federer? He squanders a first break point with a forehand into the net but commits to the forehand return of serve on the second, backing away from the ball so as not to have to take it on his backhand, and rattling the ball down the line for a winner. Back on serve in this third set.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 0-1 - BREAK! Ouch! Federer slaps down a double fault to concede his serve in the opening game of the third set. The world number three has come back from two sets to love down to win eight times in his career before but this is now looking incredibly tough.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-6 - SET! A forehand just long from Federer, checked by umpire Enric Molina, brings up two set points for Tsonga. But the Frenchman only needs the one as Federer goes long with a forehand return.
- - FEDERER 5-7 3-5 - Despite Tsonga pushing Federer to 30-30, the world number three holds (without dropping another point) when the Frenchman sends a forehand long of the baseline. The sixth seed will have the chance to serve for the second set though.
- - FEDERER 5-7 2-5 - Tsonga looks to be cruising towards a hold to 15 before Federer battles back to level at deuce, climbing all over a Tsonga second serve and drilling it back down the line for a winner. Tsonga earns himself another game point with a big serve and a backhand winner across court before securing the hold when Federer nets another big serve. Fed will have to serve to stay in this second set after the change of ends.
- - FEDERER 5-7 2-4 - Wow! A stunning backhand passing shot winner down the line from Tsonga denies Federer on a first game point. And a backhand across court, that Federer can only net in reply, sees him level at deuce. Deuce quickly turns into another break point for Tsonga as he rattles another backhand passing shot down the line. Federer saves it with a great first serve out wide before earning himself a game point with a cross court forehand winner. And he holds to vaguely keep the pressure on.
- - FEDERER 5-7 1-4 - Tsonga earns himself a game point from 30-30 with a forehand winner down the line before finding an acute enough angle with a cross court forehand that a running Federer can only put his response in to the very top of the tape. That was not far away from going over and if it had it would have been very tricky for Tsonga. But instead it is a hold to the Frenchman.
- - FEDERER 5-7 1-3 - Federer stops the run of five straight games against him, earning two game points when Tsonga puts a lob attempt long, and then also holding with a forehand just marginally long of the baseline.
- - FEDERER 5-7 0-3 - Tsonga's backhand passing shot dips nastily for Federer, who can only put up a backhand half-volley, the Frenchman having little trouble in getting up to the ball and firing it across court for a winner. And from there Tsonga goes on to hold to consolidate the break with a backhand winner off a shorter, defensive angled backhand from Fed.
- - FEDERER 5-7 0-2 - BREAK! Another mis-hit from Federer sees him in yet more trouble as he is quickly 0-30 down on serve. A backhand goes wide down the line to hand Tsonga three more break points. But again he only needs the one as Fed goes wide, this time almost out of the tramlines, with another backhand down the line. He is off the pace at the moment, Federer.
- - FEDERER 5-7 0-1 - Tsonga opens the second set with a huge forehand smash winner before going on to hold to love to keep his side of the scoreboard ticking over, sealing the game with a forehand winner.
- - FEDERER 5-7 - SET! The Frenchman earns himself a third chance and this time he does take the first set when Federer completely mis-times a forehand and hits higher up into the air than forward towards the net. Great stuff from the Frenchman!
- - FEDERER 5-6 - A forehand into the net from Federer is quickly followed by a backhand passing shot winner down the line from Tsonga to go 0-30 up. A netted backhand from Federer hands Tsonga three set points. The first goes begging when Tsonga sends a backhand return wide off a very nice serve from Federer. Federer saves the second with a flicked backhand passing shot winner and the third goes begging when Tsonga hits long...
- - FEDERER 5-6 - Another love service game from Tsonga is sealed when he again charges up to the net and puts away a forehand volley winner, backing away from the ball so he can hit into the open court down the line. Fed will have to serve to stay in the set for a second time. Can he force the tie-break?
- - FEDERER 5-5 - Federer seals a hold to 15 of his own with a smash winner down the centre of the court and level up and successfully extend this set.
- - FEDERER 4-5 - Tsonga holds to 15 with a dipping forehand passing shot down the line that does enough to prevent Federer from being able to reply despite the second seed guessing the right direction and getting a racquet to it. Federer will have to serve to stay in this opening set after the change of ends.
- - FEDERER 4-4 - BREAK! A brutal cross court forehand winner from Tsonga starts a run of five straight from the Frenchman when Federer looked to be cruising to a love service hold. But the Frenchman secures the break back at the first attempt when Federer, pushed deep behind the baseline, nets a forehand.
- - FEDERER 4-3 - Exhibition stuff from Tsonga as he races up to the net and finds a forehand winner on his way to a third love service hold of the match. Trouble is he lost his other service game to 15.
- - FEDERER 4-2 - Still no aces from Federer but he races through another very comfortable service hold, with some huge serving that Tsonga struggles to get back in play. A forehand long from Tsonga seals the hold for Federer to consolidate the break.
- - FEDERER 3-2 - BREAK! Tsonga puts a reaction forehand up at the net, into the net to hand Federer two break points of his own. And, unlike Tsonga before him, the Swiss player does break to take the lead when a backhand winner down the line.
- - FEDERER 2-2 - Better from Federer as he holds with less trouble this time around, sealing the game by drawing Tsonga into the net once again and finding the passing shot winner.
- - FEDERER 1-2 - Another very quick and easy service hold from Tsonga, the Frenchman is looking very focused in the early stages of this clash.
- - FEDERER 1-1 - Federer makes an early trip into the net only to hand Tsonga an early break point. The chance goes begging for the Frenchman when he comes into the net himself and Federer rattles a backhand straight at his racquet, the power too much for Tsonga to return. Federer goes on to hold and get his side of the scoreboard ticking over.
- - FEDERER 0-1 - A love service game from Tsonga should settle any early nerves the Frenchman has. He seals it with an ace.
15:26 - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Tsonga to get things underway by serving first...
15:25 - Tsonga has also had a pretty comfortable route through. He is yet to drop a set at all and has looked very composed during wins over Aljaz Bedene, Jarkko Nieminen, Jeremy Chardy and Victor Troicki. If Tsonga can keep up that kind of play, this should be a very good match indeed.
15:23 - Federer's run through to the last eight was all going so smoothly until he came up against Gilles Simon in the fourth round. The world number three had racked up straight sets wins against Pablo Carreno, Somdev Devvarman and Julien Benneteau before being forced to recover from a two sets to one deficit and win in five against Simon.
15:12 - Federer also won their most recent clash, at the Australian Open at the beginning of the year. However he was forced to secure the win in an epic five sets. 7-6(4), 4-6, 7-6(4), 3-6, 6-3 was the final score and Federer had to work very hard for it.
15:12 - Their only previous meeting on clay came just over two years ago at the Rome Masters when Federer won in straight sets - 6-4 6-2.
15:09 - These two have faced each other 12 times before with Federer leading the head-to-heads by an overwhelming nine wins to three.
15:06 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the first of the men's French Open quarter-finals between second seed Roger Federer and world number eight Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
|Date of Birth||17/04/1985|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|