|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Wawrinka completes the semi-final line-up, joining Rafael Nadal, Pablo Andujar and Tomas Berdych in the mix for a place in the championship match.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 4-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Another Wawrinka forehand goes astray at an important time - to allow Tsonga to level at 30-30. But he recovers to earn himself another match point and this time finally, he does book his place in the semi-finals with a forehand winner.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 4-5 - Tsonga holds for the loss of just the one point to put all the pressure back on Wawrinka. The Swiss 15th seed will serve for the match after the change of ends.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 3-5 - Tsonga produces a cross court forehand winner to level up at 30-30 before Wawrinka goes on to hold with a forehand winner of his own. The Frenchman will have to serve to stay in this match next
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 3-4 - Wawrinka levels at deuce on the Tsonga serve but cannot quite fashion himself another break point as the Frenchman holds with a big serve out wide that the Swiss player can only return into the net.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 2-4 - Wawrinka races through a service hold to consolidate the break. Has he finally done enough to secure this match? He is potentially just two games away from the win once again.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 2-3 - BREAK! Wawrinka goes ahead again, Tsonga gifting his opponent two break points before going long with a forehand
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 2-2 - A very confident hold from Tsonga, the forehand doing the damage before Wawrinka also holds without any trouble, a forehand sailing long from the Frenchman.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 1-1 - Wawrinka holds for confidence booster to get his side of the scoreboard ticking over again. That was an important hold for the Swiss player after the disappointment of those squandered match points.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) 1-0 - Tsonga eases through a service hold to open this final set, finding ace number three for the evening to seal it.
- - TSONGA 2-6 7-6(9) - SET! This match will go to the decider, just like every other match so far between these two, as Tsonga seals the second set to level up!
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (10-9) - TIE-BREAK! Tsonga saves the match point with an astounishing lunging backhand passing shot volley winner that the Frenchman somehow guides down the line despite having his back to the net. And he will get another chance to level this match when a Wawrinka forehand goes astray.
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (8-9) - TIE-BREAK! A forehand return from Tsonga sails long to squander his set point and Wawrinka will have another chance to close out this match after a forehand winner.
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (7-8) - TIE-BREAK! Tsonga saves the second match point, magnificently, with some gutsy play before a loose forehand from Wawrinka hands the Frenchman a set point.
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (7-6) - TIE-BREAK! Wawrinka fails to take advantage of his match point, netting a forehand approach shot. But he will have a second chance after Tsonga's return floats wide.
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (5-6) - TIE-BREAK! The Frenchman further extends his lead leaving himself potentially just two games away from levelling this match. But he cannot maintain it and Wawrinka finds a match point with a backhand passing shot down the line after a poor approach shot from Tsonga
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 (4-2) - TIE-BREAK! Tsonga sneaks out to a mini-break lead before the change of ends with consecutive backhand winners.
- - TSONGA 2-6 6-6 - Tsonga holds to 15 with a forehand winner. This set, and possibly the match, will be decided by the tie-break.
- - TSONGA 2-6 5-6 - Tsonga fails to find the line with his forehand done the line and Wawrinka holds a tight game from deuce. The Frenchman will have to serve to stay in the set for a second time - Wawrinka happy in the knowledge that at the very least he has forced the breaker.
- - TSONGA 2-6 5-5 - Tsonga puts a forehand into the net despite having the better of Wawrinka in the point. The Frenchman rights the mistake on the very next point, however, holding with a forehand and levelling up once again.
- - TSONGA 2-6 4-5 - Tsonga makes his way up to the net on to fail to keep his forehand volley in play after a vicious passing shot attempt from Wawrinka. That seals the hold for the 15th seed and Tsonga will have to serve to keep the match alive after the change of ends.
- - TSONGA 2-6 4-4 - What should be an easy love service hold for Tsonga becoming slightly more complicated when Wawrinka gets two points back. But hold the Frenchman does with a forehand winner
- - TSONGA 2-6 3-4 - Wawrinka holds once again to move to within two games of a place in the semi-finals in Madrid, fresh off the back of his win Estoril last week.
- - TSONGA 2-6 3-3 - Tsonga definitely is showing signs of improvement in every game now as he holds to deuce without facing a break point.
- - TSONGA 2-6 2-3 - BREAK! Wawrinka sends a regulation forehand long of the baseline at deuce to hand Tsonga an immediate break back point. The Frenchman does break back with a renewed sense of urgency, finding a forehand winner.
- - TSONGA 2-6 1-3 - BREAK! Tsonga quickly finds himself in the same predicament as his last service game, staring at three more break points. He saves the first but can do nothing about the second when he sends a backhand just wide down the line to concede his serve once more
- - TSONGA 2-6 1-2 - Wawrinka avoids too much trouble on his serve, holding to 30 with another backhand winner - rattled down the line for his favourite shot.
- - TSONGA 2-6 1-1 - Tsonga finally appears more like the player we usually see as he saves a first break point with a forehand drop volley winner, a second with a forehand winner and then a third when Wawrinka hits long. And the Frenchman goes on to hold with another cross court forehand volley winner. All of a sudden, Tsonga is beginning to look like a different player.
- - TSONGA 2-6 0-1 - Wawrinka puts a forehand into the top of the net to squander a chance to hold to love. But that's the only point he drops, Tsonga ending the game when his backhand catches the top of the net and fails to go over.
- - TSONGA 2-6 - SET! A brilliant sequence of backhands from Wawrinka sets up a smash, which sees the Swiss player flirt with danger when he puts the ball right on the baseline. It's a winner though and brings up three set points, only one of which is needed when Tsonga's cross court backhand catches the top of the tape and lands wide.
- - TSONGA 2-5 - BREAK! Tsonga's woken up, it seems! The Frenchman breaks back at his first opportunity, finding a great cross court forehand that Wawrinka simply cannot deal with.
- - TSONGA 1-5 - Wawrinka denies Tsonga on a first game point with a blistering cross court forehand winner which he lands right on the line. He also prevents the Frenchman from holding on a second but eventually, belatedly Tsonga does get his side of the scoreboard ticking over with a forehand winner. Wawrinka will still serve for the set, next.
- - TSONGA 0-5 - Wawrinka continues his perfect start as he holds to consolidate the break once again, Tsonga failing to find the court with another forehand. The Frenchman will have to serve to stay in the set after the change of ends.
- - TSONGA 0-4 - BREAK! The unforced errors are mounting up for the Frenchman as he finds himself at deuce on serve again. Wawrinka produces a stunning cross court smash winner to earn himself another break point before going on to secure the double break when Tsonga makes another error.
- - TSONGA 0-3 - A fantastic combination of backhands from Wawrinka first across court and then down the line seal the hold for the Swiss player from 0-30 down. That consolidates the early break and Wawrinka is on great form early on tonight.
- - TSONGA 0-2 - BREAK! A pretty good backhand across court from Tsonga is met with derision by Wawrinka as he opens up his shoulders and unleashes on a single-handed backhand winner down the line to seal the early break.
- - TSONGA 0-1 - Wawrinka dodges some early trouble as he holds from break point down, Tsonga going long with a forehand when he had the chance to break.
- - These two have met each other four times before with Tsonga leading the head-to-heads by three wins to one. That goes down to two wins to one if you are just looking at their previous clay court matches. They have never had a match that has not gone the distance though - including two five setters at the French Open in 2011 and 2012. Wawrinka won the first, Tsonga the second.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the final match of the quarters at the Madrid Masters. This is seventh seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga against 15th seed Stanislas Wawrinka and will decide who faces Tomas Berdych in tomorrow's semi-finals.
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|
|Date of Birth||17/04/1985|