|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-3 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal is safely through to the third round, opening his Madrid Masters campaign in solid enough style. The Spaniard didn't play brilliantly but he did enough and wraps things up at the first attempt with a smash winner up at the net. Next up for Rafa will be either Nicolas Almagro or Mikhail Youzhny. Madrid Masters drawsheet
- - NADAL 6-3 5-4 - BREAK! Nadal produces an inside-out cross court forehand that lands right on the line and which Paire can only hit wide on his change-of-direction down-the-line attempt. It hands Nadal the break and the world number five will serve for the match after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-3 4-4 - Paire continues to struggle with Nadal's weight of serve and sends a return well long to help Nadal hold and level up once again
- - NADAL 6-3 3-4 - Paire puts a defence backhand lob long of the baseline, going for too much considering Nadal is right on top of the net. That allows the Spaniard to level at deuce but Paire quickly slams the door shut and holds with an emphatic smash winner
- - NADAL 6-3 3-3 - Normal service is resumed from Nadal on ... well, on service as he races through a quick hold to deny Paire any hope he might've had of pushing for a break again
- - NADAL 6-3 2-3 - Ace number four from Paire sees him hold without too much trouble once again. He certainly is not too over-awed by facing Nadal in the Caja Magica.
- - NADAL 6-3 2-2 - Nadal is forced to save a break point with a high forehand off a smash from Paire. Although the Frenchman gets his racquet to the ball he cannot control it and the ball spins off wide, Nadal going on to hold without any more trouble.
- - NADAL 6-3 1-2 - A love service hold from Paire keeps his side of the scoreboard ticking over. The Frenchman is playing just about as well as he can do today, it's obviously just not a match for the world number five.
- - NADAL 6-3 1-1 - Nadal isn't exactly playing well but he's doing enough as he holds to 15 to get his second set off the mark
- - NADAL 6-3 0-1 - Paire does well to hold under pressure from Nadal for the opening game of the second set
- - NADAL 6-3 - SET! No drama for Nadal as he serves out the set with ease, firing down a huge first serve that Paire can only return long.
- - NADAL 5-3 - Paire works Nadal around the court in a manner that shows no signs of the position he is in serving to stay in the set and holds to at least force the Spaniard to serve it out.
- - NADAL 5-2 - Paire denies Nadal on a first game point with a backhand drop shot that even Nadal, quick as he is, cannot get too. The Spaniard then incurs a time violation for taking too long between points. But Nadal does go on to hold, at the third attempt, when Paire hits a forehand into the net. He will have to serve to stay in this openign set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 4-2 - BREAK! Nadal whips a trademark forehand winner down the line to earn himself a break point. Paire saves it with a trip into the net and a solid backhand volley winner and then also saves a second with a vicious off-forehand winner across court that he lands right on the line. But Nadal finally does break with a blistering forehand winner down the line, smacking away Paire's decent smash in the process.
- - NADAL 3-2 - Nadal races through another comfortable service hold to sneak ahead once again in the early stages of this opening set
- - NADAL 2-2 - Nadal charges up the court to a shorter ball from Paire and whips a forehand winner across court to level up at deuce. But Paire recovers with a perfect drop shot that beats Nadal for pace and then holds with an angled forehand drop volley that Nadal fails to get up before the second bounce
- - NADAL 2-1 - Nadal is yet to miss a first serve as he fires down another four to hold to love this time, one better than his opening game's hold to 15.
- - NADAL 1-1 - Paire is forced to change his racquet mid-way through the game as a string breaks. The worst possible time to have to change the racquet at break point down but the Frenchman does manage to save it with a forehand before a tentative forehand from Nadal hands Paire an opening hold
- - NADAL 1-0 - Nadal has little trouble in holding for the opening game of the match, with four big first serves
- - Nadal has been in the final of every tournament since his return from that knee injury, losing just in Vina del Mar (in Chile) in February and then in Monte Carlo a couple of weeks ago. Since that Monte Carlo Masters loss to Novak Djokovic, Nadal has bounced back to win in Barcelona last week.
- - Nadal and Paire have faced each other just the once before, last week in Barcelona in fact, when Paire pushed the Spaniard to a tie-break first set before Nadal raced away with the second. 7-6(2) 6-2 was the final score in that clash. Today, by the way, is Benoit Paire's birthday.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||08/05/1989|