|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - NADAL 6-1 6-3 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Nadal serves out the match to love, Fognini netting a cross court backhand. The world number five looked impressive this evening, although Fognini put up little fight, and he progresses to that meeting with Gulbis tomorrow afternoon.
- - NADAL 6-1 5-3 - Nadal fails to take advnatage of his first break point, seding the ball long and Fognini goes on to hold when the Spaniard puts a forehand into the net. Nadal will have the chance to serve it out though.
- - NADAL 6-1 5-2 - Nadal races through another easy service hold to leave Fognini serving to stay in this match after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-1 4-2 - BREAK! Fognini is furious with himself as he misses consecutive forehands to help Nadal on his way to the break that surely now will prove decisive. Nadal now just two games away from a place in the third round.
- - NADAL 6-1 3-2 - Nadal is quick to stop the run of games against him, and divest Fognini of the idea that a comeback may be on the cards, with an easy hold.
- - NADAL 6-1 2-2 - Fognini holds with a great service game, to double his output of the first set and securing back-to-back games for the first time in the match.
- - NADAL 6-1 2-1 –BREAK! Nadal dumps an uncharacteristic forehand into the net to let Fognini sneak ahead at 15-30 and when the Spaniard squanders a game point with a forehand long, Fognini takes his chance breaking with a stunning backhand return of serve.
- - NADAL 6-1 2-0 – BREAK! Yet another unforced error from Fognini, already his 15th in total compared to just five from Nadal so far, sees the Spaniard go 15-30 ahead on the Italian’s serve. Nadal quickly turns that into two more break points with a cross court forehand passing shot winner off a poor stop volley from Fognini. The first chance goes begging but Fognini goes wide with a cross court backhand to hand Nadal the break on the second.
- - NADAL 6-1 1-0 – Fognini steps up and fires a backhand return of serve winner over the net to at least get the one point on the Nadal serve. But once again it is only the one point as Nadal produces a great body serve, which Fognini can only return wide off the backhand, to hold to open the second set.
- - NADAL 6-1 – SET! Fognini finally ends a run of 15 straight points against him when Nadal nets a backhand return to squander a first set point of the match. The second also goes begging when Fognini finds a backhand winner, which is called out but which Nadal says actually caught the line. The Italian also saves the third but Nadal quickly gets himself a fourth chance and this time he does wrap things up when Fognini nets a forehand.
- - NADAL 5-1 – A Fognini forehand catches the tape on the way through but it fails to help the Italian as it still sits up into Nadal’s hitting zone for the Spaniard to whip a backhand winner across court. A backhand return long from the Italian on the next point sees Nadal seal another hold and Fognini will have to serve to stay in this set next.
- - NADAL 4-1 – BREAK! Nadal continues to threaten the Fognini serve as he easily gets up to a backhand drop shot from the Italian and returns the ball just over the net with a forehand drop shot of his own. That sees the Spaniard go 0-30 up, a scoreline he quickly turns into three more break points with an inside out forehand winner across court. Fognini sends a defensive backhand wide across court to concede and this is already getting away from the Italian fast.
- - NADAL 3-1 – Fognini steps up inside the baseline to a backhand and rattles the winner across court to bring up two break back points. The first goes begging when the Italian nets a backhand as does the second when the he completely mis-hits a backhand and pulls it wide (and short of the net) across court. Some immense defence from Fognini prolongs the next point but in the end Nadal gets it done to bring up a game point which he takes when Fognini nets a forehand.
- - NADAL 2-1 – Fognini gets Nadal off balance with the Spaniard having to lean to forward in an attempt to reach a forehand, but instead he hits into the net and the Italian has his first hold of the evening. Hopefully that will settle him.
- - NADAL 2-0 – Fognini whips a backhand winner across court after a forehand down the line from Nadal kicks viciously off the baseline and there is a big cheer from the crowd to greet Fognini’s first point of the evening. But it is only a temporary respite as Nadal quickly puts the stop on any hope Fognini had of making more progress on the Spaniard’s serve. Nadal holds to consolidate the early break.
- - NADAL 1-0 – BREAK! Great start for Nadal as Fognini sends a backhand long of the baseline to hand Nadal three very early break points. And the Italian quickly produces yet another error to hand Rafa the opening break. Not the kind of start the Italian would have been looking for.
- - Nadal comes into this tournament, which he loves having won it six times before and reaching the final on one other occasion, off the back of his win in Madrid - a tournament at which he has always said he doesn't like the conditions.
- - Despite being less than a year apart, age-wise, Nadal and Fognini have never actually faced each other before but you have to feel that that the Spaniard will not find this too difficult today.
- - ... where fifth seed Rafael Nadal is getting ready to play Italian Fabio Fognini.
|Date of Birth||24/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|