|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Terrific heart from Berdych as came back from two points away from the loss to beat the world number one for just the second time. He is through to the semi-finals where he will face either six-times former champion Rafael Nadal or fourth seed David Ferrer.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 4-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Berdych again misses his first serve and sends a cross court forehand wide to allow Djokovic the chance to level up at deuce. But a backhand into the net from Djokovic gifts Berdych a fourth chance. AND THIS TIME HE DOES SEAL IT WITH AN ACE!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 4-5 - Three very quick points from Berdych bring up three match points... The first goes begging when Berdych sends a defensive backhand long, and although he (and the crowd) think he's won it on the second with an ace, the ball is called out and Berdych goes wide with a forehand passing shot down the line to squander the second. One match point left...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 4-5 - Berdych gets on the front foot with a trip into the net and a backhand volley winner down the line. The sees him level at 30-30 but Djokovic holds with a huge forehand winner and then a backhand drop shot winner. Berdych will have to hold his nerve and serve out this match after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 3-5 - Djokovic races into the net to find a forehand volley winner and put a little pressure on the Berdych serve at 40-30. A double fault from the Czech sixth seed makes the pressure even more real but he does hold at the fourth attempt and Djokovic will have to serve to stay in this match next.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 3-4 - Djokovic posts his easiest service hold for sometime to keep all the pressure on Berdych's shoulders. The Czech just needs to keep holding serve, easier said than done against the world number one though!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 2-4 - Berdych posts another very comfortable service hold to maintain his advantage. The Czech is showing no signs of throwing away this advantage so far.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 2-3 - Berdych throws Djokovic a lifeline with a forehand long down the line at 30-30. Berdych pushes the world number one to deuce but Djokovic does manage to hold, without facing a break point. He remains just the one break down in this final set but that was not straightforward.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 1-3 - Berdych makes a trip into the net to save a break point, finding a forehand volley winner across court to deny the world number one a chance to get back on serve. From there Berdych goes on to hold with a service winner and that is eight out of the last nine game that he has now won!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 1-2 - BREAK! Djokovic is still not happy as Berdych finds a forehand onto the baseline to bring up two more break points. And sure enough the Czech sixth seed does break! Fantastic from Berdych who is now ahead in this final set after a forehand winner!
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 1-1 - Berdych does brilliantly well with a low forehand, he's completely crouched down by the time he hits it, whipping it across court and back behind Djokovic who can only put his return into the net. From there Berdych seals the hold from deuce and he is off the mark in this final set
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 1-0 - Djokovic finally stops the run of games against him, holding to open this third set in a more positive fashion. He's clearly not happy though, and walks back to the chair, for the change of ends, shaking his head and keeping up a constant monologue.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-7 - SET! Berdych has really made a match of this now as he races through a hold for the loss of just the one point, whipping a forehand winner across court to seal this second set and level the match! Massive credit to Berdych to fighting his way back into this one.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-6 - BREAK! Djokovic is really struggling with his first serve now and Berdych brings up another break point with a superb forehand winner. Djokovic saves it with a brutal forehand of his own and smash winner but quickly hands Berdych a second chance with a backhand into the net. And this time Berdych does break! He will serve for the second set after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-5 - Fantastic from Berdych on serve as he races through to get this second set fully back on track, having been just two points away from defeat only moments ago.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-4 - BREAK! Djokovic finally finds his range on the drop shot, producing the winner to take the opening point of the game. A cracking return of serve from Berdych sees him level at 30-30 before making a trip forward and drawing a forehand into the net from Djokovic. Break point Berdych. Great stuff frrom Berdych! He is back in the match after rattling a backhand winner down the line to steal the break.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-3 - A love service game from Berdych will force Djokovic to serve out the match next...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 5-2 - Djokovic finds himself 15-30 down on serve for the first time in the match but it doesn't take him long to bounce back, holding without the loss of another point with a great placement serve that Berdych cannot return in play. The Czech sixth seed will have to serve to stay in this match after the change of ends.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 4-2 - BREAK! An off-backhand winner right on to the sideline from Djokovic puts a little pressure on the Berdych serve at 30-15. A little pressure soon becomes a lot of pressure, after a Djokovic backhand winner across court in the opposite direction, and that becomes a break point when Berdych misses an aggressive off-forehand wide across court. Sure enough Djokovic does secure the break when his return of serve catches the top of the tape and bounces over for the perfect drop shot
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 3-2 - Djokovic races through another comfortable service hold in double-quick time. The opening set only took 32 minutes for Djokovic to win but he is yet to fashion a break point in this set. An important service game coming up for Berdych now though.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 2-2 - Much better from Berdych this time around as he also posts a love service hold to keep his side of the scoreboard ticking over. The Czech sixth seed produces a skidding serve out wide, a fully stretched Djokovic only returning into the net, to match his output of the first set.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 2-1 - Djokovic posts his third love service game of the match, sealing it with an ace. The Serb is having no troubles holdong on to his serve this afternoon, even his closest game so far only went to deuce. All the pressure is on Berdych.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 1-1 - Berdych brings up three game points with his second ace of the afternoon. He fails to take advantage of the first with a poor error, however, a great backhand down the line followed by a charge back to the middle of the court with no split step so Djokovic can easily go back behind him and back down the line. Djokovic levels at deuce before Berdych mixes it up with a frop shot winner, going on to hold at the fifth attempt with a much better serve.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 1-0 - Mixed fortunes for Djokovic on the drop shot as it fails to work for him early in the game. But he gets away with it on his second attempt, guessing right on Berdych's follow-up volley, before going on to hold from deuce when Berdych fails to find the court with his return off a kick-serve.
- - That was very impressive from Djokovic who has surely put himself up there with Nadal as favourite heading into the French Open. Excluding last week's blip, the world number one produced some stunning tennis in Monte Carlo two weeks ago and then again this week already. What do you think about his Roland Garros chances? Why not come say hi on Twiiter @pippawdavis.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-2 - SET! A near perfect set from Djokovic (although Berdych has not played badly himself, just not good enough) as the world number one breaks for a second time to wrap it up. Djokovic's forehand return of serve lands right back at the feet of the Czech sixth seed who can only put his cramped forehand into the net.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-2 - A passing shot from Berdych looks like it is going out but Djokovic lunges down to his forehand side and dinks a forehand stop volley winner across court just to make sure. The Czech player gets close to the Djokovic serve for the first time at 40-30 but an astonishing rally from both players, ends with a perfect lob from Djokovic (after Berdych had seemed to do enough with his volley). Berdych gets back to the ball but he can only twist on the ball and pull it into the net.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 - A Berdych first serve is called out but Djokovic, who got nowhere near returning the ball, is quick to tell the umpire that actually he thinks it was in. Cedric Mourier comes down to check the mark and confirms it was in calling it an ace and Djokovic gets a warm round of applause for his sportsmanship. Berdych goes on to hold for the loss of just the one point, when Nole goes long with a backhand return down the centre of the court.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-1 - Djokovic quickly races out to a 40-0 lead with a cross court forehand winner that Berdych just can't get anywhere near. And the world number one is clearly in total control as he holds to love with a big serve out wide than Berdych can only drop shot of the net on his return.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-1 - BREAK! Berdych makes no mistake with his smash winner, a shot that has cost him against Djokovic before (most notably in Dubai earlier this year) but an unforced error a couple of points later hands Djokovic a first break point. Berdych saves it well with a trip into the net and a forehand winner. He also saves a second with a vicious cross court forehand. but a backhand long hands Djokovic a third chance and this time he finally does secure the break.
- - DJOKOVIC 2-1 - Djokovic matches Berdych's love service hold with one of his own, a couple of big forehands across court doing the damage, the second of which goes for a winner when Berdych fails to anticipate the ball going back behind him and struggles to change direction on the red dirt.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 - A love service hold from Berdych to get rid of any early match nerves, the Czech sixth seed sealing the game with a great first serve that Djokovic can only return into the net.
- - One more stat for you - these two have already met twice this year, at the Australian Open and then again in Dubai. In the quarters in Melbourne, Berdych took the second set to push Djokovic to four but then in the Dubai final, the Serb triumphed in two fairly straightforward sets.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-0 - Djokovic holds for the loss of just the one point, which comes when Berdych produces a return of serve with such pace that the world number one can only net his forehand in response. But the Serb quickly mixes it up, putting in the slower but wider first serve, which Berdych nets, to seal the game
- - The players are just about ready to go and it will be the world number one to get the clash underway by serving first...
- - Only one of their previous meetings came on clay, in last year's Monte Carlo Masters semi-finals - a match that Djokovic won in three sets after Berdych had taken the first.
- - These two have met each other 14 times before with the stats overwhelmingly in Djokovic's favour. The world number one has triumphed on 13 of those 14 occasions, Berdych's only victory coming back in 2010 in the Wimbledon semi-finals.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from world number one Novak Djokovic's Rome Masters quarter-final against sixth seed Tomas Berdych.
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|