|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Nadal is through to an eighth final since his return from injury in February and remains on course for a seventh Rome Masters title in eight years. Who will he play? Roger Federer or Benoit Paire? Those two meet from 7pm (UK time) later on to decide.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A sublime passing shot winner from Berdych tales the first point of the game and a first match point goes begging for Nadal when he nets a forehand. But the Spaniard does wrap up the win at the second attempt when Berdych sends his backhand return of serve long of the baseline.
- NADAL 6-2 5-4 - BREAK! Nadal slices a backhand down the line before switching hands and guiding a right-handed forehand winner across into the open court to bring up three break points. He only needs the one though, sealing the break at the first time of asking when Berdych fails to find the court with a forehand. Nadal will serve for the match after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-2 4-4 - Berdych goes for the storming backhand winner down the line in a bid to bring up a break point but he fires long and instead Nadal has game point. A game point that quickly becomes a game as a brutal second serve is returned into the net by Berdych. Rafa broke another string with that shot and has been forced to ask his camp for more racquets!
- - NADAL 6-2 3-4 - Nadal gets lucky with a net-cord keeping his ball in play and in fact turning it into a winner to deny Berdych on game point. But the Czech gets a net cord of his own on the very next point, his ball then catching the very outside of the line, to bring up another game point and when Nadal breaks a string on his return, forced to chip an attempted drop shot into the net on his next point, the Czech has the game wrapped up.
- - NADAL 6-2 3-3 - A cross court forehand followed by an inside-out cross court forehand winner earns Rafa three game points. But he takes it on the third with a big serve down the centre of the court followed by a forehand winner across court.
- - NADAL 6-2 2-3 - This has been a really good response from Berdych in this second set as he posts a love service hold, sealing the game with an ace down the centre of the court,
- - NADAL 6-2 2-2 - Another quick and comfortable service hold from Nadal sees him level up in this set and put all the pressure back on Berdych.
- - NADAL 6-2 1-2 - A slight delay in the game when a giant tennis ball gets loose from someone in the crowd and rolls out on to the court. It doesn't distract Berdych too much though as he holds to 15 when Nadal sends a cross court forehand just marginally wide across court.
- - NADAL 6-2 1-1 - Berdych squanders his first break point of the match when he nets an attempted backhand down the line. It allows Nadal to level at deuce and the Spaniard quickly turns that into a service hold when he beats Berdych with a cross court forehand winner off the shorter ball.
- - NADAL 6-2 0-1 - Berdych opens the second set with a comfortable hold, sealing the game with a big serve.
- - NADAL 6-2 - SET! Despite having the trainer on during the change of ends, blisters on the foot by the looks of it, Nadal serves out the first set to love with a serve down the centre of the court that Berdych can only return into the net. All very straightforward for the defending champion, who is in impressive form today.
- - NADAL 5-2 - Better from Berdych as he holds for the loss of just the one point to at least force Nadal to serve out the set. The Spaniard's one point in that game though came with a massive injection of pace on a backhand across court which left Berdych struggling to get anywhere near the ball despite guessing the right direction.
- - NADAL 5-1 - Nadal holds with ease once again, this time to 15, to leave Berdych serving to stay in this opening set with just 24 minutes on the clock.
- - NADAL 4-1 - BREAK! Nadal fires back-to-back backhand passing shot winners down the line to bring up another couple of break points. But he only needs the one, flipping a high backhand lob up over Berdych's head before threading a forehand passing shot winner down the line to secure the double break.
- - NADAL 3-1 - Nadal races through another service hold, bringing up game points with another huge forehand before sealing it with an ace down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 2-1 - Berdych squanders a first game point when he fails to come in behind an attacking forehand and is punished accordingly by Nadal who replies with a vicious forehand of his own. Berdych does come in on his second though, firing an inside-out forehand approach shot across court which goes for a winner. The Czech sixth seed is on the scoreboard.
- - NADAL 2-0 - Nadal is not messing around today, racing through a love service hold with a swinging first serve that Berdych can only return into the net from out wide. That consolidates the early break
- - NADAL 1-0 - BREAK! Worrying for Berdych as he finds himself facing two very early break points after missing all four of his first serves. Nadal is not going to squander that kind of chance to start fast and he whips a forehand winner over the net to secure the break in the very first game.
- - The players are just about ready to go now and it will be Tomas Berdych to get the clash underway by serving first.
- - So what do you think? Which way will this match go? Why not come say hi on Twitter @pippawdvais.
- - Nadal has had back-to-back three set matches that might just have tired him out - first Ernests Gulbis forced the Spaniard to bounce back from a very poor opening set to take the match in three, before David Ferrer produced a fantastic second set to push the fifth seed to a third.
- - Berdych was just two points from a 12th straight loss to world number one Novak Djokovic yesterday when he suddenly turned the match around and battled back to win from 6-2 5-2 down. Will that have exhausted him or will it provide him with the confidence he needs to pull off a win over Nadal?
- - These two have met each other 16 times before with Nadal leading the head-to-heads by a whopping 13 wins to three. Only four of those meetings have been on clay but the bad news for Berdych is that Nadal has won every single one of those. You have to go all the way back to the Madrid Masters (then being played on hard courts) back in 2006 to find Berdych's last win, his other two coming in 2006 and 2005 respectively.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the first of the semi-finals at the Rome Masters. This one is between fifth seed Rafael Nadal and sixth seed Tomas Berdych.
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|