|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - FEDERER 6-1 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Federer serves out the match to love, sealing it with an ace. He is through to the third round where he will face either Mikhail Youzhny or Gilles Simon.
- - FEDERER 6-1 5-2 - BREAK! Federer has clearly had enough now as he batters three huge return of serves over the net to bring up three more break points. Only the one is needed though as he pushes Starace deep into defence on the baseline before riffling a forehand winner down the line. Federer will serve for the match after the change of ends.
- - FEDERER 6-1 4-2 - Another great service game from Federer as he holds when Starace steps out wide to a huge serve from Fed only to drill he backhand return well wide across court.
- - FEDERER 6-1 3-2 - Starace nets a forehand to gift Federer two more break points. The Italian saves the first with a great first serve and then the second with a forehand winner before going on to hold with an inside out forehand drop shot winner across court.
- - FEDERER 6-1 3-1 - Federer holds to love, this time in 66 seconds, to sling all the pressure back over the net at Starace, who must feel like he is almost constantly serving at the moment.
- - FEDERER 6-1 2-1 - Starace drops a backhand low into the net to hand Federer a point in the game but the Italian quickly rights the mistake, holding to 15 with a big serve that Federer can only return into the net off the forehand wing.
- - FEDERER 6-1 2-0 - Federer said in interviews coming in to this week that he was excited to get going with the tournament and get some wins under his belt and clearly he wasn't lying! Fed races through another very speedy service game, just under 60 seconds again, to consolidate the break.
- - FEDERER 6-1 1-0 - BREAK! Federer hacks down on a backhand putting a wicked amount of slice on the ball and sending the ball down the line for a winner. Starace enjoys a game point but can do nothing with it, while Federer also fails to take advantage of a couple of break points - the world number three sending a backhand long on the second. But Fed gets a third chance, Starace attempting an ill-advised drop shot, and this time he does break with a vicious backhand.
- - Wow! That was pretty quick from Federer. Just 19 minutes that opening set took him. What do you think to Federer's chances of winning a tournament this year? He's not made a final yet. Come and say hi on Twitter - @pippawdavis
- - FEDERER 6-1 - SET! Finally something for Starace fans to get hold of as the Italian produces a dipping backhand passing shot that Fed can do nothing about. It brings up two break back points for Starace but Fed saves them both, the second with a spot of serve and volley, before serving out the set with another big serve that Starace can only net in return.
- - FEDERER 5-1 - BREAK! Ouch. Another break goes the way of Federer and, after that positive opening service hold from the Italian, this match has very, very quickly got away from him already.
- - FEDERER 4-1 - Federer races through another service game, holding when Starace nets a forehand return of serve. The Italian is looking a little stunned just at the moment.
- - FEDERER 3-1 - BREAK! Federer leaps all over the Starace serve, silencing the crowd and securing a very comfortable break in the process. This is impressive stuff from Federer so far.
- - FEDERER 2-1 - Another blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold from Federer. After his loss to Nishikori in the Madrid quarters last week, losing his Madrid Masters title and world number two ranking in the process, Federer is clearly in Rome to mean business!
- - FEDERER 1-1 - The crowd will get into this match very quickly if Starace can keep up the kind of form he is showing in this opening game as he holds with a couple of great points, working Federer around the baseline before finding the winner.
- - FEDERER 1-0 - The world number three, seeded two in Rome as the seedings were done before Murray overtook Federer, holds to love for the opening game of the match in less than 60 seconds
- - Federer, sporting a flashy new haircut will get the clash underway by serving first...
- - These two have faced each other six times before with Federer winning all six of those previous matches. In fact, Starace has won just the one set - that was in their first meeting way back in 2004 in Gstaad.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from Roger Federer's opening Rome Masters clash - against wildcard Potito Starace.
|Date of Birth||14/07/1981|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|