|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up for Pennetta will most likely be second seed Victoria Azarenka, the Belarusian taking on Maria Joao Koehler later on today.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 1-6 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Fantastic anticipation from Pennetta sees her produce a cross court forehand passing shot winner off a decent smash from Baltacha. Another forehand winner, down the line, sees the Italian go 15-30 but she allows Baltacha to level with a backhand long down the line. Still Pennetta earns herself a match point when Baltacha nets and the Italian does wrap things up at the first attempt when Baltacha goes wide with a cross court forehand.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 1-5 - Pennetta comes through a tough game, squandering her first chance at the hold with a wayward inside-out forehand wide across court. But she holds at the second attempt and Baltacha will have to serve to stay in this match next.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 1-4 - Much better from the Brit as she clings on, easily working her way up the net and dinking an angled forehand winner across the court to seal a hold.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 0-4 - Pennetta holds to love when Baltacha goes just wide with a cross court forehand. Great length from the Brit but she couldn't quite keep the width and there's an important game coming up now for Baltacha as she looks to avoid the dreaded bagel set.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 0-3 - BREAK! Pennetta is very much in control now as she breaks for a second time early in this second set, Baltacha failing to find the court with a defensive forehand.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 0-2 - Pennetta holds to 15 to consolidate the break, sealing the game with a curled forehand winner across court that goes back behind the Brit. It's a long way back for Baltacha now.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 0-1 - BREAK! Baltacha completely mis-times a change-of-direction backhand to go 0-30 down before recovering with a forehand winner and then a Pennetta forehand long. Pennetta earns herself an early break point though before sealing it with a sliced backhand drop shot winner.
- - BALTACHA 4-6 - SET! Clinical, relentless groundstrokes from Baltacha see her sneak 15-30 ahead before Pennetta levels at 30-30 with a booming serve and cross court backhand winner off the short reply. The Brit gets a gilt-edged opportunity to earn herself another break back point when Pennetta literally rolls in her serve, only for Baltacha to net her backhand. It brings up set point for the Italian and sure enough she does take it when Baltacha's defensive forehand lob drops wide across court.
- - BALTACHA 4-5 - Three errors in a row from Pennetta help Baltacha to a comfortable sevrice game, which she then seals to love with a trip up to the service line and a cross court forehand winner off the shorter return from Pennetta. The Italian still has one more break though and will have a second chance to serve out the set after the change of ends.
- - BALTACHA 3-5 - BREAK! Baltacha goes back behind Pennetta with a cross court forehand on her way to bringing up two break back points. And the Brit does get the break back immediately as Pennetta goes wide with an attempted forehand down the line. She will still have to serve to stay in this opening set though.
- - BALTACHA 2-5 - BREAK! A forehand just wide across court from Baltacha (confirmed by a hawkeye challenge from the Brit) hands Pennetta another break point. And sure enough she does secure the double break, Baltacha slicing a low backhand into the net down the centre of the court.
- - BALTACHA 2-4 - A double fault from Pennetta allows Baltacha to level at deuce. The Brit dumps a forehand retuen into the net, much to her obvious frustration, but manages to level at deuce again with a great forehand out wide that the Italian can only return into the net. This time though, Pennetta manages to hold on, another trip into the net doing the damage for the Italian.
- - BALTACHA 2-3 - Again Pennetta pushes Baltacha deep into the game before the Brit manages to put two points together and holds to 30 and remain just the one break down.
- - BALTACHA 3-1 - Pennetta is such an acomplished doubles player that every time she makes a trip into the net she looks overwhelmingly likely to win the point. And such is the case three times in this latest game as she opens with a forehand volley winner before holding with ease with another backhand volley winner.
- - BALTACHA 1-2 - Pennetta makes a trip into the net and fires off a backhand stop volley to level at deuce. But this time Baltacha is equal to the task and quickly produces a couple of big serves to hold and get her side of the scoreboard ticking over slightly belatedly.
- - BALTACHA 0-2 - Pennetta errs slightly to begin with as Baltacha moves to 0-30 on her opponent's serve, but the Brit cannot improve on that as the Italian holds firm to establish a commanding lead at the beginning of the first set on Court 3.
- - BALTACHA 0-1 - BREAK! It's not a good start for the world number 167 as Baltacha loses her serve immediately within four minutes of the match getting under way. It's a flying start from Pennetta, who is utterly ruthless on her return to begin the contest.
- - But first up on Court 3, we will be focusing on Britain's Elena Baltacha, who is in first-round action against Flavia Pennetta of Italy. Her match will be getting underway very shortly.
|Date of Birth||14/08/1983|
|Date of Birth||25/02/1982|